Chit Chat
Options

Potluck Help

I am going to a potluck this weekend. The food theme is Mexican food. So far, someone is bringing an enchilada casserole and dessert. There are two sides left. I am having a hard time coming up with a side for Mexican food. I am a terrible cook, so I am looking for an easy side dish. Another thought, is there a salad that would go well with Mexican food?

Everyone here seems to have lots of food/recipe  knowledge. I appreciate all the help I can get otherwise I will buy a box of  flavored rice and call it a day.

Thanks!

Re: Potluck Help

• Options
    Guacamole!
  • Options
    Guacamole!
    I was thinking chips and salsa/guacamole but isn't that an appetizer?
  • Options
    Cheese dip and homemade salsa.

• Options
    Spanish rice! 

• Options
    arrippa said:
    Guacamole!
    Psh. For me it's a meal!
  • Options
    arrippa said:
    Guacamole!
    Psh. For me it's a meal!
    For realz...  I can make a meal out of chips and salsa and/or guac.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Elote! Though I would probably cut the corn off the cob (or be lazy and use frozen corn, trader joes sells this really good frozen roasted corn.) It's basically corn mixed with cheese, mayo, and cayenne pepper. 

• Options
    Homemade refried beans would be good. Season them up good with onion, garlic, chilies. Add cheese on top. 

The cheese dip, in a crockpot, with or without meat added, is good too.  Bring lots of chips, and some disposable bowls to make nachos.

A big green salad with salsa ranch dressing, maybe?  Just mix drained salsa and ranch dressing together. Or add salsa to a basic vinaigrette dressing.

Jalapeno poppers - cut jalapenos in half and scoop out seeds, stuff with a mix of cream cheese, grated cheddar and monterey jack cheeses, and some chopped green chilies or drained salsa, and bake until the cheese melts and the peppers are charred.  Can wrap them in bacon too, a half or third of a strip per pepper. Or mix cooked crumbled sausage, hamburger, or shredded chicken or pork into the cheese mixture. Can be time consuming to make, though.

Do you want to do just sides, or another entree?  White chicken enchiladas might be a good second entree, or one of the crockpot fajitas recipes on Pinterest.  Just thinking beyond regular enchiladas, because I hate red enchilada sauce so I'd be stuck not eating the entree at the party.
  • Options
    I could also make a meal out of chips and guac or salsa. Mmmm. 

You could do a taco dip! I mix together a can of refried beans with a packet of ranch dressing mix, spread it in the bottom of a casserole dish, then layer it with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and black olives. It's pretty incredible. 
  • Options
    Annnnd now I'm really fucking hungry
  • Options
    @lolo883 OMG THE CORN CAKE!! screw dieting for the wedding... I need mexican food now! 

• Options
    arrippa said:
    Guacamole!
    Have to agree with this. Chips are an app, not a side, and there will likely be 16 bags of chips there already. We can do better than that.

Sometimes I eat Oreos for dinner but I wouldn't bring that to a potluck. :)

• Options
    I vote for making a side of Mexican rice, but not the boxed crap. It's super easy to make from scratch, and it would hold well for a potluck.
  • Options
    I so hungry now.
  • Options
    This slaw is delicious and has tequila in it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second the vote for elotes/Mexican street corn.

DH's family (Mexican) tends to start with grilled corn. Slather it with mayo and/or Parkay (somehow butter is wrong), top with cotija cheese, and a bit of paprika. Eat as-is. You can dress it up with finely chopped cilantro and lime.

MIL also makes a version of ceviche that's super-easy-- basically pico de gallo, shredded fake crab meat, and a bit of ketchup to bind it. It's not high-end but it's what all of the family from Mexico City makes when they come to town.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
  • Options
    Chips and guac or salsa! Mexican corn!
  • Options
    The taco layer dip all the way! ... that stuff is amazing and so easy
  • Options
    Taco salad. I'm often veggie starved with Mexican food.

If you're just looking for a crowd pleaser, chicken tortilla soup (pioneer woman recipe) is really good.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Thanks for all the ideas! I am leaning toward either the Mexican corn dish or taco dip (maybe make it more substantial to be a side dish).  @larrygaga-I RSVP'd too late to pick the beverage option, otherwise I that would have been my pick.

• Options
    Bottle of tequila?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so hungry. I hate all of you.

OP, your friend totally called and wanted me to tell you that the potluck was moved to my house. You can drop your delicious, delicious Mexican food off whenever. :)
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Mexican crock pot

1 lb. meat or chicken, sliced into strips.
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
    half a bottle of salsa
    hot sauce if desired.

Cook four and a half hours.  Add some shredded taco cheese and cook 15 more minutes.  Serve with a big spoon.  I like rice or cornbread on the side.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards