Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Should I be worried?

So when I went to my first fitting, the seamstress said she'd have it done and call me in a month. I called her a week after a month had gone by, she said "Oh yes it's done, we can meet Tuesday." So, my mom can't go Tuesday and wants to do tomorrow (thursday) so I call her and change days to tomorrow. Well she called me at about 6 o'clock tonight and says "Sorry your dress isn't done yet, can we reschedule?" First off, she'd told me that it was done. Second of all, I didn't call her about changing the appointment until around noon on Monday, so I'm assuming that she was just going to rush that night to finish my dress!! I don't want her to rush on my dress and I'm really upset that she put it off until the last second. I did agree with rescheduling to next Tuesday, but I really don't want her to put it off until the night before! I'm definitely calling the shop tomorrow because we're going through the shop for her. I'm so upset. Should I be worried how it's going to look? I mean I really have no time to go looking for another dress or seamstress if she's made mistakes. 

Re: Should I be worried?

• Options
    Yeah I don't feel good about that at all. I'd call and make sure she's working on it.
  • Options
    I would be calling her every day until I had that dress on my body, fitted to perfection.
    Anniversary

• Options
    If you really want to drive the point home, ask her to send cameraphone photos of the progress.  No way you'll be friends with her after what she will take as micromanaging, but you want a dress, not a friend.

I had a custom evening gown made by a designer in Texas.  He sent photos of the dress during the whole process, and we actually ended up changing the color of some of the beads on it from black to a gunmetal color.  I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't seen the dress along the way.

If she has a retail location, ask to drop in for something--to make sure the veil is the right shade, the shoes match, etc.  Then you can see if it's a disasterpiece. 

Look on Yelp, Google, etc to see if she/the gown store receive good reviews.  If they're terrible, you may want to line up a back up person.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I agree with others that you should be assertive with this woman so that way there are no issues in the end. Better be safe than sorry. 

That said, though, I imagine that if she was recommended by the shop that she usually gets things done by the time she has it scheduled for. I know that my seamstress did small things last minute (like cut some tulle from the bottom). She has a lot of clients so I know she based working on my dress around my scheduled meetings with her. Did she need a whole month to take in my dress? No, but she needed the whole month to also juggle working on other dresses. 

edited: women is not woman. ugh. 

• Options
    When the tailor provided by my bridal shop didn't have the dress right at the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd fittings, I should've gotten a lot more worried.  I figured they had it covered.  No, they managed to f-up the back of a custom Lazaro that is worth as much as my first car.  :(
  • Options
    I guess it's possible that the alterations are done but the dress still needs steaming/pressing before you try it on. I would ask her what still needs to be done, and why she told you it was done if it wasn't really done. Maybe she has a good answer. If not, then make it clear that your dress absolutely must be done (and done right) by whatever date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    I guess it's possible that the alterations are done but the dress still needs steaming/pressing before you try it on. I would ask her what still needs to be done, and why she told you it was done if it wasn't really done. Maybe she has a good answer. If not, then make it clear that your dress absolutely must be done (and done right) by whatever date.
    This. Get specifics, and make it clear that you've paid for a service that needs to be delivered, and correctly, by a certain date. I find it extremely annoying (for you) that she lied to you about the dress being done when it really wasn't. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards