Attire & Accessories Forum

What to Wear Under a Tux Jacket

We were at men's wearhouse this past weekend and the sales person told us that the groomsmen have to wear a vest, suspenders, or a cummerbund under their tuxedo jacket. Our groomsmen want to wear none of them but the sales person insisted that they had to pick one. Is that true? Can they just go with the jacket and the bow tie? 

Re: What to Wear Under a Tux Jacket

• Why not just have them all wear suits instead of tuxedos since they don't want to wear the parts that make up a tuxedo?  Just have them wear black suits, a white shirt, and a nice bow tie.

And the sales person probably insisted because tuxes are rented as a set and I don't believe you can just leave an accessory off the list.  Also suspenders are needed when wearing a tux because they replace a belt...this is important if the pants are slightly loose and need help staying up.

• ctr24ctr24 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Thanks! I have some pretty particular groomsmen and they preferred the suspenders but then wouldn't wear the ones that men's wearhouse has because they're clip on. Maybe I'll purchase them other ones. 

ETA: Apparently the pants don't have the right buttons so would only work with the clip on suspenders. 
  • My groom is wearing a tux with just suspenders.  No vest or cummerbund.  The vest and cummerbund aren't what make it a tux.  
  • My groom is wearing a tux with just suspenders.  No vest or cummerbund.  The vest and cummerbund aren't what make it a tux.  

Yea, this is what my H did also. The cummerbund is old school and he didn't like the vest look.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with Maggie, most men can find nice suits at department stores (Macy's Penny's etc) for the same price as a tux rental.  As far as the associate requiring something, its just so he can complete the order forms.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    The suspenders are required to keep the pants up.  Tuxedos do not have belt loops in the pants.  DH refused to wear them, and he had to hitch up his pants throughout our wedding.  (Eyeroll!)
    Your FI should wear either a cummerbund or a vest, IMHO.  Here is a guide:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Contemporary/Contemp_Waist.htm

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain

FI is happy to wear the suspenders so he's not bothered by keeping up his pants. He doesn't really care what they look like as he doesn't ever take his jacket off at weddings. It's a couple of the  groomsmen being difficult about wearing clip on suspenders but that's the only suspender option when you rent. 
  • ctr24 said:
    CMGragain

FI is happy to wear the suspenders so he's not bothered by keeping up his pants. He doesn't really care what they look like as he doesn't ever take his jacket off at weddings. It's a couple of the  groomsmen being difficult about wearing clip on suspenders but that's the only suspender option when you rent. 
    It is honestly amazing what some people will complain about.  They are suspenders that no one will see unless you take off your jacket.  And if you do take off your jacket no one will care nor will they probably notice that they are clip on.  I think this something that you just need tell them to get over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards