Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor wedding reception and ceremony in same location

I want to host our wedding ceremony and reception in the location.

Is it okay to have people stand for the ceremony?? I don't know the proper etiquette for it. I wanted to do a circel around us instead of the traditional all lined up behind us seated.

If it is not proper etiquette should I have 2 sets of chairs so they dont have to be moved around from the ceremony to the reception area?

or could i some how separate the cocktail hour from the ceremony from the reception if its going to be in a backyard?

Re: Outdoor wedding reception and ceremony in same location

• ktornst1 said:

I want to host our wedding ceremony and reception in the location.

Is it okay to have people stand for the ceremony?? I don't know the proper etiquette for it. I wanted to do a circel around us instead of the traditional all lined up behind us seated.

If it is not proper etiquette should I have 2 sets of chairs so they dont have to be moved around from the ceremony to the reception area?

or could i some how separate the cocktail hour from the ceremony from the reception if its going to be in a backyard?

It's against etiquette to ask people to stand for your ceremony or to move chairs for you.

What you could do is have people seated at their tables for the ceremony. Lots of people do this and it simplifies the logistics of trying to have two separate areas, two sets of seats, moving stuff, etc. etc. 

I would just make sure you have a couple speakers (the same ones you'd use for reception music) to ensure people can hear. There's nothing worse than watching, but not being able to hear, a wedding ceremony!
    *********************************************************************************

• I never said move chairs for me. I woud have someone else do it. like hire someone, but i dont think that would look right have seats moved it just looks bad.

Im just not liking too much the sitting at the table for the ceremony

• ktornst1 said:

I never said move chairs for me. I woud have someone else do it. like hire someone, but i dont think that would look right have seats moved it just looks bad.

Im just not liking too much the sitting at the table for the ceremony

Sure if you want to hire someone, that would work. I mean, you could just have two completely separate set ups - one of the ceremony and one for the reception - and have double the chairs. Nothing wrong with that.

I was just trying to help you think of ideas in case you don't have the space or money to do that. If you have both, then by all means, do two separate set ups.
    *********************************************************************************

• Im not sure yet either. I have a budget in mind.But its just figuring out the more expensive things. because our wedding will be small so if we have two sets it might not kill  our budget
  • We did the outdoor ceremony and reception in the same place and opted for two sets of chairs. It just made things easier so no one would show up at their table to find no chairs because they were still being moved (cocktail hour and reception were in the same space). We opted for white wooden folding chairs since they were the cheaper of the nice chair options, and cut things elsewhere to make up for the additional cost. Something as simple as doing away with favors (most people won't miss them) or choosing a cheaper flower for centerpieces can go a long way in recouping the additional cost of the chairs.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    We did the outdoor ceremony and reception in the same place and opted for two sets of chairs. It just made things easier so no one would show up at their table to find no chairs because they were still being moved (cocktail hour and reception were in the same space). We opted for white wooden folding chairs since they were the cheaper of the nice chair options, and cut things elsewhere to make up for the additional cost. Something as simple as doing away with favors (most people won't miss them) or choosing a cheaper flower for centerpieces can go a long way in recouping the additional cost of the chairs.
    Pretty much all of this except we chose the dark wood instead of the white wood. Yeah, it was a little expensive to rent two sets of chairs, but it made logistics so much easier on our wedding day. Totally worth it.
  • We are in the same boat.  And are pretty much decided on having two sets of chairs.  We figure by the time we figure out the logistics of having people move them and the cost of paying those people, we may as well spend a little more for peace of mind and NOT having anything to worry about other than having a good time :)  Sucky I know, but so worth it :)

• I am dealing with the same problem. I decided to have the company move the chairs inside while the cocktail hour is taking place.

I only need 25 chairs moved so hopefully no one really pays attention. Maybe they will think that because the ceremony is over, the chairs are actually going back to the company:)

• We're having our ceremony and reception at the same place, and our venue is doing the flip for us. We will have the cocktail hour in the front porch area while the venue flips the room for the reception. Is there a place where you can move people (even just slightly) so they can switch from ceremony to reception? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards