Honeymoon Discussions

Anyone been to Jamaica?

Going on 6 months and still no honeymoon booked!   I was orginally leaning towards Greece but things happened (life got in the way!) and we never got around to booking anything.  Now that it's getting cold I just want to get away for a week to somewhere warm and am thinking about going to Jamaica next month.  I've been looking at Couples Swept away in Negril vs. Secrets Wild Orchard in Montego Bay.   Anyone been to either?  Or to a diffferent resort in Jamaica they'd recommend?    I was looking at all inclusive, adult only resorts   Somewhere with good food, pleanty of things to do (while i'd be happy to sit on a beach all day, my husband needs stuff to keep him busy, he's not at all a sit and do nothing kinda guy).    I'd also like to be able to leave the resort - which area is better/easier to do so?  Montego Bay or Negril?   What is there to do in each, off the resorts?     Any advice or suggestions appreciated! 

Re: Anyone been to Jamaica?

• I'm going to Sandals Negril!  I chose Negril because I heard that other areas of Jamaica can be a bit rocky, and Negril is more calm and serene.  I haven't been, but it seemed like those were the general reviews.
  • Negril and 7 mile beach are definitely the nicest areas of Jamaica. I just went to Couples Swept Away for my honeymoon 2 months ago. Loved it, would highly recommend it. Rick's cafe is famous for the local cliff divers, and is right down the street. We only saw it from the sunset catamaran cruise that's included at the resort.

• @jenna8984 I am leaning towards Couples Swept Away!    Glad to hear from someone recenlty there!   
  • The rooms were perfect, the beach was perfect, the activities were amazing- snorkeling, kayak, sunset cruise, so much fun!! It never felt crowded, there was always plenty of space on the beach and at the pool to spread out from other couples. Literally our only complaint was that the pool grill was close during dinner time. Sometimes it would have been nice to just grab a burger and not get dressed and have sit down dinner. But that was such a small complaint since the food at all the restaurants is wonderful!

• @jenna8984 - how dressed up did guys have to be for the restuarants?  I'm assuming no jeans?  shorts and a polo okay?     Was it hard getting reservations at the nicer places?  The only potential negatives i've found online where getting reservations can be hard (but i dont know if that would be an issue in December, since it seems January is more the start of their busier season) and having to get up at 530AM to claim a chair on the beach (no chair is worth it for me to get up that early lol).    '

• We didn't eat at any of the places that require reservation because we didn't want to pack very dressy clothes. We are minimalist packers so it would have been a huge pain for DH to pack dress pants and dress shoes. The normal restaurants, I wore sundresses with flip flops, and he wore khaki shorts with a golf shirt/ polo. One night he tried to wear a sleeveless shirt and they turned us away but obviously we went back with a new shirt and it was fine.

There are plenty, plenty of chairs on the beach that are in the sun. The only way you'd have to get up early is if you wanted a straw hut. It worked out for us because we prefer the huts (fair skin) and we both wake up naturally at 6am from our internal clocks. So I went out and saved a hut each morning. But we noticed a lot that the couples like us who get out there real early, are the ones who head out around 2pm to go snorkeling or nap in the room. So it seemed like most of the huts were opened up in the afternoon for the late sleepers to grab when us early birds were done for the day.

• @jenna8984 great, thanks!!   I think I'm going to convince my husband tonight that this is where we are going!!
  • nicole4793nicole4793 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
    My brother went to Couples Swept Away, and my cousin went to the Secrets Wild Orchid- both within the past year. Both of them came back with awesome stories and absolutely loved their vacations. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them! If I was to go to Jamaica, I would personally choose Couples Swept Away, but that's just me. The resort looks absolutely beautiful. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been to Jamaica once before and loved it and am going back next month for my honeymoon! I was dying to go to to he brand new Hyatt Zilara and booked there but unfortunately they have recently moved there opening date back to after we get there. We booked Couples Swept Away as our back up and am looking forward to it although it doesn't look as luxe as the Hyatt. Depending on when you're going i would look into it if I were you. Last time we went we stayed in Montego Bay at the Sandals there which was great! Figured we'd check out negril this time which I heard was more laid back
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards