Not Engaged Yet
Options

Opinions on Holiday Gifts

edited November 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
Hi Ladies!

So as many of you know, I've been estranged from my mom and brother since July. There has been no contact between us since then with the exception of my calling my mom to wish her a Happy Bday in late September, which did not go well. (That did not go well, as I literally called to say "Happy Birthday," and when she realized I wasn't going to sweep things under the rug, she went apeshit and tried to antagonize me into a fight. I maintained my calm, said I was calling to do the decent thing, clearly she did not appreciate that, and to have a lovely day. Then I hung up.)

DH and I are not planning to see my mom or brother for xmas. We are currently budgeting for and purchasing holiday gifts. We are sending out Christmas cards to our family, and plan on sending them cards. (The standard VistaPrint photo collage cards, no sentimental writing.) I am debating whether or not to send them each a small gift. DH says I can do whatever I want, but he personally feels it's a waste of money. I kind of agree with him, and think that there are MANY other people I'd rather spend the money on. The other part of me says, "How can you NOT send your family even a SMALL gift on CHRISTMAS?" So I'm a bit torn. I don't know what to do.

What say you?

Opinions on Holiday Gifts 28 votes

The card will be more than enough.
89% 25 votes
Send them a small gift. It's Christmas!
3% 1 vote
Special Snowflake/Other*
7% 2 votes

Re: Opinions on Holiday Gifts

• Options
    After the way the birthday phone call went, I absolutely think a card is enough. 

My mom is estranged from her brother (because he is a huge asshole) and she sent him and his family small gifts for awhile but she eventually realized that it really wasn't worth the money because they weren't appreciative at all. Now I don't think she even sends a card.

I think sending card is just the right balance, where you are still doing something so even if the door is shut it's a least unlocked for if they ever realize how hurtful they've been and want to try to repair their relationship with you.

• Options
    All of what @bethsmiles said. A card will acknowledge them, but neither of them deserve a gift, even a cheap one. A card is more than sufficient.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Everything @bethsmiles said.

There's no point buying gifts that aren't going to be appreciated OR gifts that are going to make your mom and brother think that everything's fine and dandy now. And given how your mom reacted on her birthday, I can see things going badly again when they realize that you're not just forgetting everything.

I think cards are fine. They acknowledge your mom and your brother at Christmas so you aren't "the awful person who totally ignored them and made everything worse", but you also aren't wasting your money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ditto @bethsmiles. The card is enough at this point.
  • Options
    My parents & I don't speak to my uncle (the one that flipped out on me a couple years ago because I *gasp* support gay marriage). We don't even send him a card. 

Not worth the time or energy, as far as I'm concerned.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    After the birthday incident, I'd just send a card. It says that you're still there if they want to reconnect but it also shows you aren't a doormat. 

• Options
    @Phira, thank you for saying that.  When you said sending a card won't make them realize the error of their ways, that really resonated with me.
  • Options

The nice peaseblossom who likes to make everyone happy and have things always be free of conflict says send a gift.  The honest peaseblossom says it isn't worth the effort after the birthday incident, just send a card.

I think honest peaseblossom wins out this time. 

Anniversary

• Options
    Agree, card is more than enough after the way she reacted. 
  • Options
    I voted the card will be more than enough.

Of course, I come from a family that has never really been big on holiday/ birthday gifts, and we often even forget about doing cards....so, I guess grain of salt?

But, honestly, (and especially because of my non-gift-giving background), I feel like sending a card is being nicer than their actions have merited.

• Options
    I would not get a gift for them, but I would write something on the card instead of just sending it with no writing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    I would send a card, with a nice note like @cu97tiger‌ suggested. You can wish them a nice Christmas, so that later they can't say you ignored them over Christmas.
  • Options
    PPs are wise.  I would send a card and write *something* even if its just wishing them a happy holiday.  I would not send a gift.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards