Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Inviting single friends, assume they are going to bring a +1 or what?

When creating your invitations and inviting your single friends… is it a MUST to include the option of letting them bring a +1? Do you find out before hand if they want to bring a +1, assume they are going to and allow them to and include it on the invite (so count for one extra) or ONLY invite them and don’t include a +1? Kind of confused about this… thanks! 

Re: Inviting single friends, assume they are going to bring a +1 or what?

• Options
    edited November 2014

When creating your invitations and inviting your single friends… is it a MUST to include the option of letting them bring a +1?
    Do you find out before hand if they want to bring a +1, assume they are going
    to and allow them to and include it on the invite (so count for one extra) or ONLY invite them and don’t
    include a +1? Kind of confused about this… thanks! 

If they are truly single, you don't have to extend a plus one. If you have it in the budget and you want to, you would write:

"Ms. Jane Smith and Guest"

The "and guest" basically says: you can bring a date. If you don't include it, it says: the invitation is only for you and you cannot bring a date.

If anyone is in a relationship, their SO must be invited by name (not "and guest"). Does that make more sense?

Etf mobile fat finger..
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    ^ What she said. 

If they're really, truly single, you don't have to give them a plus one. If they're dating someone, even if they haven't been together for very long, that person is invited with them by name.

Something to consider, though, if you decide not to do plus ones, is that if any of those single people get into a relationship before your wedding, then you have to invite the new person. It's a good idea to build that possibility into your guest list just in case (imagine you're giving all the single people a plus one, even if you're really not), so you're not stuck with having to invite another person that you hadn't prepared for. 
  • Options
    If they are truley single, take a look at will they know other people at the wedding to be able to talk to and hang out with. If not & you can afford to allow them a guest, that would be nice. I had 6 truley single guests & they were all friends with each other so we didn't extend them a +1. But we had 2 other individuals who wouldn't know anyone else at the reception so we extended them a +1 so they would have a friend with them to make the night more enjoyable.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Even if truly single guests don't begin new relationships before the wedding or know others there, they can feel very left out if they are forced to attend weddings on their own without guests.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate that hosts aren't always okay with adding the costs and space for more mouths to feed and bodies to seat of persons that they don't even know to their guest list, just that I can see the other side too.
  • Options
    If they are truly single, you are not required to give them a plus one. 

That said, I agree with others that taking the circumstances into account is important. I think because we can afford to do so (financially and in terms of space) we will probably give a plus one to all single guests. But, if money or space were tighter, I would give my out of town single friends plus ones but not my in town single friends, because my in town folks will be seated with a table of their own friends and the out of town friends will probably only know a few people at the wedding. 

Having been the "single person" at many weddings, it's always nice to feel like you can bring a guest if you want to. 
  • Options

Are you in the beginning planning stages or in the about to send out invites stage? If you are still in teh planning stages, I would plan to give every single person a plus one. You dont need to. But this way you will budget for the space and money needed if this single person starts a relationship before the invitation is sent out.

If you are about to send out the invites and the are truly single, then its up to you, your fi and your budget to decide if you extend a guest.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards