Chit Chat
Options

What's bugging you?

15678911»

Re: What's bugging you?

• Options
    New thing that is bugging me today:

I manage a community center and mainly deal with senior citizens. We have different programs throughout the week that are reoccurring. 

Well my Tuesday/Thursday group drives me crazy some days. I mean I love them but some of those ladies complain about everything. I bought a new type of coffee filter once and they complained. Uhm, sorry, these work fine.

Today they are complaining about the heat. The building is very old and has central gas heat for the auditorium only. That heat will go into the hallways to heat. The classrooms have a wall unit like in a hotel to use to heat them. I made the policy last year, that if the heat unit is on, the door needs to stay closed to conserve energy. 

Well, they are unhappy because it gets too hot in there and they want to open the door. I told them to just turn the heat off then and their reply was that then it gets too cold. Uhm, turn it back on? I don't even know how to respond. I have told them that it wastes energy to have the door open and the heat to just go out of the room. If you were at your house and had your heat on, would you open your front door? No. 

• Options
    I also mostly bake with shortening instead of butter now. I have some cookies that I will never switch to shortening for, but I swear my chocolate chip cookies come out way better since I stopped using butter. Something to do with the melting point, maybe? My ginger-spice cookies are still made with butter but I have to add a ton of flour and extra baking powder to keep them from turning into little pancakes.

And yes, always take my cookie advice! I used to clear 2k/month cash selling cookies. It was all word-of-mouth, too, since I was keeping it on the DL from the health department.
    Um, so how do I place an order?

That's a really cool article, with even more great links in it. . . I saved it!

I see that the original Toll House recipe uses straight up butter.  My mom has always used that recipe but used margarine instead.

Also, if anyone likes to eat/bake with butter, you MUST witch to Irish butter.  I'm serious.  It's the most delicious, decadent, creamy, lovely butter ever.  It really does taste different.  You need it. . . trust me.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Do you always weigh your flour or measure it, and could you be accidentally using less than before? Is your kitchen maybe warmer than it's been in the past? 

I like this guide:

ETA haha apparently Cookie Pusher and I had the same idea.
    I measure instead of weight, but I have read about the benefits of weighing, and I do have a kitchen scale.  It's mostly out of habit that I continue to measure.  I do always use the same measuring method:  I spoon flour into the measuring cup until it's mounded, then take off the excess with a knife.  Years and years ago I read or saw that this helps you to not "pack" the flour and end up with too much.  Maybe I've become lighter handed and am using too little now.

Loving all the suggestions, ladies, thank you @amelisha @ lolo883 @cookiepusher @prettygirllost :)

• Options
    @prettygirllost none of them, they're all made with butter. Which is fine by me because I never use margarine.
    I like the taste of butter better, but according to mom there are times in baking where you want to use margarine. . . like when you don't want cookies that spread.  Alton Brown had an episode about this, I believe.

"Fats play a major role in the spread of a cookie--whether a cookie keeps its shape or flattens in the oven. In general, more fat equals flat, crispy cookies while less fat equals puffier, cake-like cookies.

Cookies are made primarily with butter, margarine or shortening. Whipped spreads are not suitable for baking.

Shortening and margarine are stable, and will help cookies keep their original unbaked shapes. Butter melts at body temperature--a much lower temperature than other solid fats--resulting in a “melt-in-your-mouth” burst of flavor.

Cookies made with butter tend to spread out. Butter is essential in certain cookies, such as shortbreads; if they don't hold their shape, consider lowering the amount of butter, sugar, or baking soda in the recipe."

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    @prettygirllost none of them, they're all made with butter. Which is fine by me because I never use margarine.
    I like the taste of butter better, but according to mom there are times in baking where you want to use margarine. . . like when you don't want cookies that spread.  Alton Brown had an episode about this, I believe.

"Fats play a major role in the spread of a cookie--whether a cookie keeps its shape or flattens in the oven. In general, more fat equals flat, crispy cookies while less fat equals puffier, cake-like cookies.

Cookies are made primarily with butter, margarine or shortening. Whipped spreads are not suitable for baking.

Shortening and margarine are stable, and will help cookies keep their original unbaked shapes. Butter melts at body temperature--a much lower temperature than other solid fats--resulting in a “melt-in-your-mouth” burst of flavor.

Cookies made with butter tend to spread out. Butter is essential in certain cookies, such as shortbreads; if they don't hold their shape, consider lowering the amount of butter, sugar, or baking soda in the recipe."
    Yeah there's just no recipe compelling enough to make me put margarine into my body. I do have an organic, non-hydrogenated palm shortening that I use to make Snickerdoodles. :)

• Options
    @PrettyGirlLost Kerrygold is MY FAVORITE. Their cheese is incredible, too. 
  • Options
    I also mostly bake with shortening instead of butter now. I have some cookies that I will never switch to shortening for, but I swear my chocolate chip cookies come out way better since I stopped using butter. Something to do with the melting point, maybe? My ginger-spice cookies are still made with butter but I have to add a ton of flour and extra baking powder to keep them from turning into little pancakes.

And yes, always take my cookie advice! I used to clear 2k/month cash selling cookies. It was all word-of-mouth, too, since I was keeping it on the DL from the health department.
    Um, so how do I place an order?

That's a really cool article, with even more great links in it. . . I saved it!

I see that the original Toll House recipe uses straight up butter.  My mom has always used that recipe but used margarine instead.

Also, if anyone likes to eat/bake with butter, you MUST witch to Irish butter.  I'm serious.  It's the most delicious, decadent, creamy, lovely butter ever.  It really does taste different.  You need it. . . trust me.

If you seriously want to order cookies, I can send you a list of the varieties I bake. There's 18 varieties, most of which I can make vegan. $20+shipping for 3 dozen (but I usually throw in the extras if it's less than a dozen left in the batch). When I was freelancing after I left my last job, this is how I supplemented my lost income. Worked like a charm... except DH gained a few pounds from all the taste-testing he did while I developed my recipes.

And I totally agree about the Irish butter. It's pricey, but it taste so incredible. A little sweet, super creamy, and like a little bit of heaven!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    Kerrygold Aged Irish Cheddar goes on aaaaaaaaaall of our sliders and burgers. And I shred it to put on top of casseroles or with soup. Mmm...
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    YEEEEES!!!!

• Options
    I use butter, but I also make the dough into balls and chill it for a couple hours before baking. Maybe you're already doing that, but if not it makes a big difference. 

So I posted a lot about how PITA my Cathoalic parents were about me having a nonreligious ceremony. I think they thought we were being flippant about it, so I think they were pleasantly surprised when our friend acting as officiant did an incredible job and our ceremony was really personal and heartfelt. We asked our officiant to use some literary themes, so she pulled a couple Tolkien quotes, which fit in fantastically. 

So my mom has grabbed onto that and since ZOMG Tolkien was Catholic, she seems to have decided he is the channel through which to bring us back into the fold. She will not shut up about it and insists the whole LOTR series is religious metaphor and he was totally besties with CS Lewis. And she sent us a biography on Tolkien, which would be a nice gift if it weren't for the fact that I know there's ulterior motives behind it. 

I suppose it's better than the apologetics type books she used to send that were more overt. 
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Cookie Pusher, I love that you did that so successfully! I've just started a little under-the-table baking (friends' weddings and that kind of thing) and I'm kind of hoping it takes off a bit but I am not a business-minded person so I've been very laissez-faire about the whole project. Your success is pretty inspiring.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    I use butter, but I also make the dough into balls and chill it for a couple hours before baking. Maybe you're already doing that, but if not it makes a big difference. 

So I posted a lot about how PITA my Cathoalic parents were about me having a nonreligious ceremony. I think they thought we were being flippant about it, so I think they were pleasantly surprised when our friend acting as officiant did an incredible job and our ceremony was really personal and heartfelt. We asked our officiant to use some literary themes, so she pulled a couple Tolkien quotes, which fit in fantastically. 

So my mom has grabbed onto that and since ZOMG Tolkien was Catholic, she seems to have decided he is the channel through which to bring us back into the fold. She will not shut up about it and insists the whole LOTR series is religious metaphor and he was totally besties with CS Lewis. And she sent us a biography on Tolkien, which would be a nice gift if it weren't for the fact that I know there's ulterior motives behind it. 

I suppose it's better than the apologetics type books she used to send that were more overt. 
    You totally get a do-over. Equally disperse your readings across Christian, Buddhist and agnostic authors.

• Options
    amelisha said:
    Cookie Pusher, I love that you did that so successfully! I've just started a little under-the-table baking (friends' weddings and that kind of thing) and I'm kind of hoping it takes off a bit but I am not a business-minded person so I've been very laissez-faire about the whole project. Your success is pretty inspiring.
    Thanks! I fully admit that I only had any success because I had a wonderful group of supportive people around me. The internet forum I was on that did most of the buying and word-spreading were so generous with their praise of the products, which in turn helped drive more business my way. This was all before Twitter and Facebook were as popular for generating business as they are now, so having people basically advertise for me was an absolute godsend.

I would recommend looking to see if there are any seminars in your area about starting small businesses, writing business plans/proposals, and applying for grants. I'm friendly with a woman at my farmer's market who has a similar story to mine except she sells artisan jams. Her business has grown so much in 5 years that it's what she does full time now. She's really inspirational. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    FiancB said:

I think she actually means allegory, but the series is not a metaphor or allegory.

Print out the Forward of the novel "The Lord of the Rings" in which Tolkien himself states that his series is not an allegory:

"Other arrangements could be devised according to the tastes or views of those who like allegory or topical reference. But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

• Options
    FiancB said:

I think she actually means allegory, but the series is not a metaphor or allegory.

Print out the Forward of the novel "The Lord of the Rings" in which Tolkien himself states that his series is not an allegory:

"Other arrangements could be devised according to the tastes or views of those who like allegory or topical reference. But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."
    Thank goodness it's NOT an allegory. Or else it would be pretty damn racist. (What, ALL Uruks are evil? RUDE.) 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    One thing that's bugging me, but in a different way.

I was just at a work meeting, and one lady was wearing an FSU sweatshirt. Another staff member was talking about something and mentioned her having to do with whatever he was talking about (a committee or something), and when he pointed to her, he added, "I hope nobody shoots her!"

It took me like, a full minute to process that and try to figure out if it was offensive. I've concluded it was pretty offensive. Not going to obsess over it besides tell a few friends and you ladies, but it was without a doubt one of the weirdest things I've heard at work lately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @sugargirl, yeah, FI is good at that when he's home (likes to hold onto his handlebars, lol), and the warmth certainly helps, but we get very little time together--when I wrote my exams in Edmonton last week, we spent 4 days together, and that's the longest we've had together at any one time since April :(
  • Options

I was just at a work meeting, and one lady was wearing an FSU sweatshirt. Another staff member was talking about something and mentioned her having to do with whatever he was talking about (a committee or something), and when he pointed to her, he added, "I hope nobody shoots her!"

It took me like, a full minute to process that and try to figure out if it was offensive. I've concluded it was pretty offensive. Not going to obsess over it besides tell a few friends and you ladies, but it was without a doubt one of the weirdest things I've heard at work lately.
    That's one of those situations where you can't do anything but look at the guy like "Really? REALLY?" WTF? 
  • Options
    FiancB said:

Thank goodness it's NOT an allegory. Or else it would be pretty damn racist. (What, ALL Uruks are evil? RUDE.) 
    I'm sure THEY don't think they are evil!

Gollum frequently referred to the "nasty, wicked, hobbitses."  Poor Gollum.

I always say that he is actually the true hero.  I mean, by the time they get to Mount Doom Frodo is deeply succumbing to the Dark Lord's influence and is acting all hopeless, and emo, and whiny. . . . and then that little bastard puts the freaking Ring on!!!!!! 

"Oh hey Sauron, here I am!  Yeah all of my closest friends and allies have been struggling, and bleeding, and dying in an effort to protect me so I can destroy this frigging Ring, but I decided instead to put it on at the 11th hour, thereby enabling it to get back to you. . ."

If he hadn't had that scuffle with Gollum and Gollum hadn't bitten his damn finger off, everyone in Middle Earth would be speaking Black Speech ;-)

• Options
    esstee33 said:

That's one of those situations where you can't do anything but look at the guy like "Really? REALLY?" WTF? 
    He then tried to save himself by saying, "Um, I don't know if anyone heard about that. Terrible tragedy."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    FiancB said:

I'm sure THEY don't think they are evil!

Gollum frequently referred to the "nasty, wicked, hobbitses."  Poor Gollum.

I always say that he is actually the true hero.  I mean, by the time they get to Mount Doom Frodo is deeply succumbing to the Dark Lord's influence and is acting all hopeless, and emo, and whiny. . . . and then that little bastard puts the freaking Ring on!!!!!! 

"Oh hey Sauron, here I am!  Yeah all of my closest friends and allies have been struggling, and bleeding, and dying in an effort to protect me so I can destroy this frigging Ring, but I decided instead to put it on at the 11th hour, thereby enabling it to get back to you. . ."

If he hadn't had that scuffle with Gollum and Gollum hadn't bitten his damn finger off, everyone in Middle Earth would be speaking Black Speech ;-)
    Word. Frodo's a wuss. Bilbo's way hotter.

(So excited for the next Hobbit movie. Hell yes I'm gonna watch it in 3D IMAX!)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

He then tried to save himself by saying, "Um, I don't know if anyone heard about that. Terrible tragedy."
    Smooth. The maintenance manager guy from our building was walking around once trying to figure out how to reorganize our floor because it was getting over-crowded. He looked at the person who was next to him and said "Maybe I'll just shoot a few of them to free up some space." Um. You don't fucking say that, dude. 
  • Options
    On the topic of LoTR and things that bug me...

FI just re-read The Hobbit and lotr trilogy and obviously had to follow that up with the movies.  He's recovering from hernia surgery that put him out of commission for a few weeks, but it's not like he's bedridden.  I have been trying to be super sweet and patient and take good care of him, but I must have made him too comfortable...he sent me a text from the bedroom while I was in the kitchen cooking dinner that said, "Next disc, please."  I walked to the bedroom, and just stood at the door like this:

I know it hurts, but dude roll your ass across the bed, and you're pretty much at the xbox where the movie is playing!!!!

• Options

On the topic of LoTR and things that bug me...

FI just re-read The Hobbit and lotr trilogy and obviously had to follow that up with the movies.  He's recovering from hernia surgery that put him out of commission for a few weeks, but it's not like he's bedridden.  I have been trying to be super sweet and patient and take good care of him, but I must have made him too comfortable...he sent me a text from the bedroom while I was in the kitchen cooking dinner that said, "Next disc, please."  I walked to the bedroom, and just stood at the door like this:

I know it hurts, but dude roll your ass across the bed, and you're pretty much at the xbox where the movie is playing!!!!

I'd drop the disc into his dinner. Here you go love bug, mashed potatoes and gravy ala DVD.

• Options
    What's bugging me is that you are all talking about cookies, and posting pictures of cookies and there are no cookies here for me to eat!!!  Fuck, I want a cookie now.  

Oh, and my sore throat from yesterday developed big white spots, so I got swabbed for a throat culture today.  Dr. is guessing either Strep or Mono.  Fingers are so crossed for Strep.  Can't wait for the results so I can get some drugs hopefully.  

• Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    @loveislouder‌ I saw this on Fb this morning and thought of you!

http://www.minq.com/style/3111/9-hacks-every-bra-wearer-needs-to-know?cont=6773111iosf#page=1

They use panty liners to wrap around the wire, and it sticks together to stay!

image   image   image

• Options
    @Sugargirl1019 That's so smart! Thank you! It got frustrated yesterday and ripped the wire out. I'm a little lopsided today until I buy a new one. I made an appointment at a fancy bra place in town. Here's hoping those bras last longer lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards