Not Engaged Yet
Options

This sucks. (Vent) **Updated in Comments**

bethsmilesbethsmiles member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited December 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
On Monday I got an e-mail from HR saying my file was incomplete because although they had my official transcripts those didn't indicate that my masters degree had been awarded yet. My degree isn't awarded until I finish my thesis so I'm not surprised by this. However my boss (who hired me) is 100% aware of this. I was hired with the understanding that I have completed at least 18 graduate level credit hours (I've completed 33 and passed my comprehensive exams) and my thesis would be finished within a year (which it is on track for). I talked with my boss and she said she would inform them that I was fine to work in her department per this agreement and it would be no big deal.

Well, today I talk to her and she tells me that HR has hired a new head person who has decided to change the hiring policy so that the conditions I was hired under no longer apply. So basically she is seeing if they can make an exception for me (basically grandfather me in under the original hiring conditions) but she said she has no idea at this point which way it will go. So now I get to sit and wait to find out if I will still have a job come January but they haven't said when they will know by. So I guess I'm just going to be filling out job applications like crazy so that when my potentially last pay check comes at the end of December I'm not totally screwed.

ETA: Sorry this will be a bit of a post and run since I need to go to the gym but I just needed to get this all out!

Re: This sucks. (Vent) **Updated in Comments**

• Options
    Ahh that's horrible!!!   Isn't there some legal protection for that?!  

I hope it all works out :( 
  • Options
    Oh no! I hope this works out with HR soon.
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014

Damn, Beth, that sucks some serious lollipops! I can't imagine why the old policy wouldn't apply to you - that's what you were hired under, and at this point you are practically done anyway, right?! Hopefully your position will be safe.

I hope that going to the gym gives you all kinds of endorphins, but in case not, here are some feel-better GIFs:

ETA: When will you know if you're safe?

• Options
    BOOO. That is seriously uncool. It's actually really unethical for them to change the hiring policy and apply it retroactively. I hope that your boss is able to convince the new head HR person of this. Either way, sending good thoughts your way!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    UGH so not cool! That's incredibly unprofessional of them, to potentially take away a job offer because of a new hiring policy.

Do you have anything in writing from them? Anything that you or your boss could use to help your case?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies :)

@CLoGreenEyes - I love the gifs! David Tennant is my absolute favorite :) I'm not sure when my boss will hear back from HR but she said she will let me know as soon as she does. Part of me hopes it is really soon, part of me hopes that if I do lose my job I can at least enjoy Thanksgiving with my family before finding out.

@Phira - I'm hoping they realize what a dick move this would be or that there was some sort of miscommunication and the new person never meant for these changes to apply to people who have already been hired.

@ImCooper86 - I do have a string of e-mails saved between me and my boss about my thesis not being done yet and her confirming that I could still be hired. I let them know before I even accepted an interview because I wanted to be upfront about it. So it's not like I was trying to hide this.

• Options
    That really sucks. Hopefully they decide that they will go with the old policy for you! They really ought to.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry @bethsmiles. As others have said, this may be illegal to apply a new hiring policy retroactively. I would definitely look into the legality of this.

Also, and I may be completely out of line here (please correct me if I'm wrong and there is no possible way to do this), but is there any possibility that you could fast track your thesis and finish before January so that this won't be a problem?

I really hope that everything works out for you.

• Options
    ...excuse me while I break out in full "this is academic BS and politics and is ridiculous" indignation.

You HAVE to be grandfathered in.  Do you have the job description for the position you were hired for?  (Your boss or the department should have it on file if you don't.)  I would assume it says something like "Minimum qualifications include at least 18 graduate hours..."  Then, if for some reason the HR demon (sorry for the terminology...I'm watching Buffy) decides to NOT grandfather you in, you take that job description plus the series of emails with your boss and you walk into that HR office and make your case.

I'd also go over whatever contract you signed when you were employed to see if there's anything in there that might help you.
  • Options
    @AuroraRose41 - Unfortunately the whole thesis process is full of a bunch of red tape so I couldn't have it officially done by January. I'm actually finished writing it but my adviser takes FOREVER to get edits back to me. I'm really pushing to even be able to set up my defense meeting for January.

@futuremrshistorian - Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look for through my files (they seriously gave me a ridiculous amount of paper work when I was hired) because I know I got it in writing some where that all I needed were the 18 credit hours and to finish my thesis within a year.

I'm so annoyed by this because if I chose not to do a thesis I could get my degree tomorrow (I took extra classes so I would have enough to graduate without the thesis), but I've put so much work into my thesis (it's my baby) and it looks good for applying to PhD programs. I have the exact same qualifications of anyone they would hire who did their masters without a thesis.

• Options
    My advice is if HR wants you to sign anything - don't sign it.  Tell them that you want to have a lawyer look it over first - after that get yourself a lawyer.  You might even want to look for one now just so you have it in your back pocket if it comes down to it.

I would think they would have to grandfather you in.  You were not hired under false pretenses, your manager is well aware of where you are at academically.  You have never tried to hide the fact that you have not completed your thesis.  If they decide to let you go because of it, they should at least give you X months to find another job (or you might even be able to get a job separation package out of them).

No matter how you look at it - it stinks!!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice so I'll give you internet hugs @bethsmiles. It will all work out :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't have any advice either, except to find all the documentation that you can and have it ready.  hopefully it's all a misunderstanding, but just in case...  :(
  • Options
    @BethSmiles, that sucks! Make sure you print all the documentation you have.  I would definitely look up the hiring laws in your state, because unfortunately what the HR person is doing may not be illegal. Wrong, but not illegal. Hopefully your manager/boss can get it sorted out, because it really isn't fair, especially since you told them exactly where you were in your degree when you got hired.
  • Options
    I don't have any advice besides what has already been said but I wanted to send hugs and vibes. That's really ridiculous and frustrating. 

• Options
    @{{{HUGS}}} @bethsmiles - I really hope it all works out and it's just a miscommunication with this new twatwaffle. Also, I'm painstakingly looking for gifs that make me smile, I hope they work for you!

• Options
    Everyone has already said what I would say, so I'm just going to give you an internet hug and tell you that your new HR person sucks donkey butt. THEY should be fired for trying to fire you illegally. 

• Options
    BIG STUPID HEADS.

That's all I've got. PP covered everything else I would have said. Hugs!One way or other, this will work out, because you're awesome, even if it sucks in the short run.
  • Options
    @bethsmiles I'm so sorry! Maybe you could tell your adviser what is going on and tell them that reviewing it ASAP would be a huge help given the situation? Again, just trying to come up with alternatives.

But that really sucks that you have enough credits and they have hired others with the same number of credits and no thesis. I think pushing that is the best course of action honestly, and having all documentation and a lawyer, as PP's have said.

Sending you lots of internet hugs!

• Options
    That's such BS.  Are they laboring under the delusion that no one knew your credentials when you were hired?  They can't just make a new policy and apply it retroactively.

I'm so sorry.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

That sucks so much! I hope you and your boss are able to resolve this quickly!! All the Internet hugs!!

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm trying to stay positive but definitely taking all the advice you've given.

• Options
    @loves2shopforshoes - The e-mail I got definitely made it seem like they were aware of the conditions I was hired under, which is bullshit since I filled out all my hiring paper months ago and it's only suddenly a problem now. 

• Options
    That is pretty horrible of them to renig on the hiring terms you and your boss had.  I really hope that your boss will convince them to keep you on!  Job vibes!
  • Options
    I agree with what everyone has said, get your hiring contract, any emails, the employee handbook, and school records.

And sending big hugs your way that this is resolved soon and you can keep your job!
  • Options
    People are stupid. This sucks! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. My hope is that they will either grandfather you in at your current job or that something even better will open up for you very soon. When one door closes, another one always opens. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my boss informed me I will not be hired back next semester. I'm trying to stay positive and see this as an opportunity for something better to come along but tonight I'm letting myself cry and watch crappy movies with some chai tea and fireball whiskey. Tomorrow, I will go full force into the job hunt :(

• Options
    :(:(:(:(:( This fucking blows, and I'm so angry that you were strung along! Definitely let yourself be sad about it tonight.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I'm SO sorry, @bethsmiles.

That is so effed up, and you didn't deserve it.  I'm sure you will find something better very soon, and until then, big hugs.  

What a shitty thing to do to an employee right before the holidays.
  • Options
    @Phira & @loves2shop4shoes - Thanks. I'm definitely pissed off. My boss did say I could re-apply after the spring semester (when my thesis is done). But why the hell would I want to work somewhere where I clearly have no job security whatsoever?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards