Chit Chat

The wifey needs help!

And you all are helpful.

So she wants to bake a yummy thing to bring into work sometime this holiday season (as she often does) but they have two new girls in the office with allergies. She wants to make sure they can have some too so she needs a recipe that is nut free, soy free, and also coconut free. She googled a few nut free soy free things and they use coconut stuff in place. 

Usually the women in question will just skip out if there is something their allergic to it. One is nut/soy allergic, so she often has to skip the treats because apparently like everything has soy in it (I can eat anything, I never pay attention to ingredients), she's always super cool about it and all 'No big deal, I've deal with this for 40+ years" but Wifey wants her to be able to have a treat too.

Re: The wifey needs help!

• I might be able to dig a few recipes out if dairy is ok? Is she wanting to make something sweet?
  • These (clicky!) are basically my favorite cookies ever. I'm not vegan and I love chocolate but I somehow find myself dreaming of these.

I bring them to work events a lot because we have a bunch of vegans but they're basically "safe" for anyone who isn't gluten-free. I've also substituted real milk for soy milk several times because it's what I keep in the house, though they're obviously no longer vegan.

If she makes them, make them a bit smaller than she recommends- they're big cookies and don't make a huge batch.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Are animal products a problem? Because just going straight to butter eliminates the soy, nut milks, or coconut issue...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dairy and animal products are all good. And she does want sweet. Apparently just regular chocolate (like chocolate chips) have soy in them. Not all of the chocolate, but a high percentage of the stuff you buy in a regular grocery store.
  • Mmmm those look yummy @wandajune6!
  • I'd do a pumpkin streusel cake.

• I have an awesome snicker doodle recipe i can dig out when I get home
  • Well the children's studio I work at is always nut free, so nothing we use ever has nuts in it.  We're always dealing with allergies (soy and coconut have both been things we've needed to avoid!) so we have lots of recipes and ways of modifying those recipes to accommodate specific allergies.

Here is our VERY popular chocolate cupcake recipe:

1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup Cocoa Powder 
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup applesauce (this is a substitute for eggs)
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    (Optional) 1/c cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips, which are nut, soy, dairy, gluten etc. free

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (For cupcakes)

• VulgarGirlVulgarGirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    HaileyDancingbear said: Well the children's studio I work at is always nut free, so nothing we use ever has nuts in it.  We're always dealing with allergies (soy and coconut have both been things we've needed to avoid!) so we have lots of recipes and ways of modifying those recipes to accommodate specific allergies.
    Here is our VERY popular chocolate cupcake recipe:
    1 cup flour1 cup sugar1 cup Cocoa Powder 1 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp salt1 cup whole milk1/2 cup applesauce (this is a substitute for eggs)1/2 cup canola oil1 tsp vanilla(Optional) 1/c cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips, which are nut, soy, dairy, gluten etc. free
    Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (For cupcakes)

**WTF BOXES***
    OMG that's so easy
    I could make it. And that's huge.
  • These sugar cookies are amazing http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soft-sugar-cookies-iv/detail.aspx

Instead of just white frosting, I usually make a raspberry glaze-basically you boil a 10oz bag of frozen raspberries, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 1/2 a cup of water until it thickens, strain it, and then...glaze! You can glaze the cookies, or mix it in to regular buttercream frosting for raspberry buttercream frosting. You can use any 10oz bag of frozen fruit really.

Just a note about chocolate-it is nearly impossible to find anything without soy lecithin in it. I would steer clear of any chocolate products. 
  • Blow everyone's minds (and destroy bleats of "I gotta diet") with healthy/skinny buffalo chicken dip instead of baked goods.

4 oz reduced fat softened cream cheese
    1 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 cup franks hot sauce (wing sauce is a good choice)
    1 tsp white wine vinegar
    1/2 cup cheese (original recipe calls for bleu, but I find a low fat fiesta mix works better)
    2 cups (14 oz raw) cooked chicken, chopped fine.

Mix everything else together well, then add the chicken. Put in a crock pot on low for 3-4 hours, or in a sauce pan on low/medium for 30-45 minutes. Serve with celery or multi grain chips or dipper of choice.

I'm making this for my office tomorrow. I routinely quadruple the quantity in the recipe. I've several colleagues who want to volunteer their stomachs for consumption of the dip. SuperBoss might just shove his face in the pot if we let him.

Enjoy!

• I would probably buy something store bought that I was sure was nut free. Allergies freak me out. You'd have to make sure that NOTHING in your kitchen has touched nut products. It's too much of a risk for me.
  • lc07 said:
    I would probably buy something store bought that I was sure was nut free. Allergies freak me out. You'd have to make sure that NOTHING in your kitchen has touched nut products. It's too much of a risk for me.
    This.  Or write down every brand and ingredient.  Because if I had a severe allergy, I wouldn't eat anything homemade.  I know the intentions are good, but I'd be afraid of cross contamination or even just an ingredient that was overlooked.
  • I know some chocolate has soy, so you'd obviously have to use the stuff that doesn't contain soy, but what about chocolate covered pretzel sticks? She could decorate them with cored sugar, sprinkles, and other random stuff that fits the bill.
    *********************************************************************************

• I never bake so I have nothing to contribute, but I just want to say that is super sweet of her to go to so much effort to include the allergy people!
  • My new favourite cookie - honey hearts!

3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. butter
    3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
    3 tbsp. honey
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/4 tsp baking powder
    2 cups flour

Cream together butter & sugar, then mix in the honey. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and incorporate with the wet.  Original recipe calls for rolling out and cutting, but I pulled spoonfuls and patted into discs with my hands.  Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.  Amazing with tea!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I have a dead easy vegan recipe that I use as a base for all kinds of cupcake yumminess. It makes a very moist cupcake, and I've used it for lemon, Turkish Delight, caramel hidden centers, sparkling lemon-lime (which I served alongside the cake at my wedding), and most recently a cranberry apple and cinnamon "Christmas" cupcake. It also takes colour nicely and I've used it for rainbow cupcakes more than once.

I usually do a buttercream in a "co-ordinating" flavour, but a glaze works well too - especially for citrus flavours.

Vegan Cupcakes (makes 12)
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 scant cup water (or other liquid)
    1 tsp essence of choice

Preheat oven to 190C (375F). Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Spoon batter into lined cupcake pans and bake for 30 minutes.

I've used soy milk, tea, and even sparkling lemonade instead of water. Comes out great every time!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • These are the best brownies I've ever made.  DH, SD, and SS get so excited when they see me buy the Ghiradelli Chocolate I use for these :-)  They end up being more like fudge but so yummy!  Just track down a good quality soy free chocolate and you should be good to go!

Deep Chocolate Brownies (Click)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards