Nevada-Las Vegas

Gifts for Parents

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Gifts for Parents

• sassyshoshsassyshosh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Do not feel pressured to give gifts! I put that pressure on myself initially as I thought it was a "necessity" but the vast majority of people I spoke to did not give their parents wedding gifts! They are not something you should be worried about "for the sake of tradition" especially with a destination wedding where you have to pack them. Personally I think it sounds like FI's family is being greedy, if they are not helping you at all (even in it's traditional form I think the gifts were meant to be a thank you present). I think most gifts are cliche and no one really wants them and while the Pandora idea is sweet you will easily end up with a few hundred in gifts you don't need to spend! I love the personalized photos, but obviously you won't have those before the ceremony. Maybe do some framed photos from engagement pictures if you took them? I got nothing for the dads, all the moms (there are 4) a little tumbler with their name and role in the wedding (mother of bride or groom) and they LOVED THEM! The only "real" gift was a ring for my mother given in secret but that was for the 150+ hours she worked on the fabric bouquets.

Moral of the story, if you want to give them a small gift because you want to go for it. Do NOT feel pressured to do so, especially when they want them for the sake of tradition when they are not adhering to "tradition" (by helping foot the bill). 
  • lglepper said:

I'm generally against all the "gifts" that go into weddings (like matchy bridesmaids jewelry, monogrammed flask, frames w/ out picture, etc.).

Love this! :-)  I have lost count of how many flasks I've gotten from weddings I've been in, that and monogramed bags, shirts or other crap; all of which sits on a shelf in the closet.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• We are taking close family members to a nice dinner after everyone else leaves (it happens to be Christmas day for us).  
  • This about you and him. So I am glad you decided to do what yall wanted to do despite all of that. I wouldn't get any gifts. Doesn't seem like that would be good enough for her in the sense of tradition anyway. Try not to stress.
  • I have been struggling with this as well since FI family isn't helping with anything (cost and time). Maybe I will get my mom a gift in secrecy. I did plan on taking immediate family and bridal party out for dinner and high roller the day we arrive to celebrate and say thanks (sort of a rehearsal dinner) before everyone else arrives and it gets crazy! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are goo Bouchon for dinner a couple days after everybody else leaves.  I don't think our parents have ever been to a meal that fancy before, so it should be interesting.
  • It is a tricky subject, but you are smart to evaluate options.

We will be gifting our parents separately and privately. One set contributed significantly while the the other set did not contribute. We want to thank both sets for their support (generally, not monetarily) but are planning two different gifts, one more substantial than the other.

One idea for you is to get both sets an experience -- tickets to a Cirque show or a gift card and a reservation to a restaurant they would love in Vegas. If it is more a token of appreciation, you could do framed photos or albums post wedding or something the couples can enjoy together back at home. I am all for simplicity and would avoid individual gifts for each parent.

Whatever you chose, What will leave a lasting impression, especially as it sounds like your family is sentimental, is to hand write thank you letters for the parents. That they will keep forever.

Let us know what you decide!
  • I am a Shutterfly-holic so I am making an album for both our parents once we receive the wedding photos back since I planned to make an album for us anyways. I always find Groupons or other discounts, so I don't end of spending a ton. I make one for my FI each year (well it's more for me), but I love looking back.
  • I gave my parent's handkerchief's from  Etsy - MonogrammingOwl
    Anniversary
  • I am a Shutterfly-holic so I am making an album for both our parents once we receive the wedding photos back since I planned to make an album for us anyways. I always find Groupons or other discounts, so I don't end of spending a ton. I make one for my FI each year (well it's more for me), but I love looking back.
    I'm actually thinking of the same thing. I feel like photos are so meaningful and great memories. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2014
    We are also giving embroidered handkerchiefs to both sets of parents and other older wedding party individuals who have a part in our wedding (and planning).
    Also, we plan to give our parents a photo album or desktop calendar of our wedding day after we receive the pictures. I will probably do this on shutterfly or vistaprint!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards