Wedding Etiquette Forum

Who pays for parking?

It costs $15 to park in my reception venue's parking lot. (My wedding is in a city, so there are few free parking options). Am I expected to pay?

Almost everyone is local, and my wedding will be in the afternoon, so almost no one will be getting a hotel/in general attending my wedding will not be costly for the guests. (I've spent way more than $15 on tolls alone going to others' weddings.) I feel a little icky about guests having to pay to park though. Thoughts? I almost definitely will pay for it (it's a relatively small wedding so this won't break the bank), this issue had just never occurred to me so I am interested in your thoughts.

Re: Who pays for parking?

• If that's the only parking option, then yes, you should pay. 
    :(
    Is the parking lot actually owned by the venue? Or another company? Either way, I would call them and ask if you could negotiate a lower rate. It never hurts to ask.
  • You should pay for it.  Perhaps the venue will negotiate a lower price for your guests as a group discount for parking and for using their venue for your reception?  

• Your guests have no other choice. It's on you.
  • I didn't read this as guests having no other choice? It's in a city, so I'd expect there to be other lots and the possibility of street parking. I think you only have to pay if there actually are no other options, so here I wouldn't expect you to pay.

Depends on the city though- in NYC I would never expect you to pay for parking because there are so many non-driving options. In Detroit which is more of a car city and not necessarily safe to be wandering around looking for parking, I'd lean towards paying for it.
  • Thanks everyone! There is street parking nearby (that I think is free on weekends) but I'll just pay for the valet. As I said it's a small wedding so it'll only be about 35 cars. 
  • nhs226 said:
    Thanks everyone! There is street parking nearby (that I think is free on weekends) but I'll just pay for the valet. As I said it's a small wedding so it'll only be about 35 cars. 
    Yeah guests should never have to pay for anything like this. If there's a free option, that's cool, but I think it's really nice of you to pay for the parking plus it will probably make things easier and more convenient for the guests.
  • Glad you're paying for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards