Oregon
Options

Powers studio?

Hello!
Has anyone used Powers Studio for their photography? We were just matched up with Stephen, but I wanted some local input. It appears that most of their photographers freelance on the side (for much cheaper!), which seemed a bit sketchy to me. What do you think?

Re: Powers studio?

• Options
    JenAJenA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They are a bit like wedding factory. I would frankly find a local independent photographer. That way you are more likely to get attention and know exactly who you are getting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would highly reccommend Brian Geraths who owns Prints Charming Photography. He came highly reccommended, has good prices, is very hands on, and you work just with him, not with an associate.   Let me know if you want more info.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are using Powers Studio for our wedding and e-pics. So far I have been very happy with them and their prices have been awesome. I think my favorite thing about the studio is that they really really take time to get to know you and what you want and like. that way you get what you want on your wedding day.

I think others may seem them as "wedding factory" because the owner has a few other companies that are all connected to Powers studio. Personally I think that is a good business move and what counts is that you like their work. Or don't like their work. Make sure you meet with the photog you've been matched up with and if you don't like him or his work (including pics he's taken outside of PowersStudio) then just say thanks but,  no thanks
    Steph and Brad 10-1-10

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken".
    See my bio!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just booked Powers and I'm excited about what they have to offer.  I think they really enjoy what they do, therefore, I feel my pictures will be excellent.  I think their prices are reasonable and photography is something I don't want to skimp on.  I like the fact that I have ownership of all my photos once it's all said and done.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Carefull!

They just hire in other photographers and skim the top.  Good photographers have their own business.  Powers thinks they can do everything...lol.  From event management to catering.  I think the owner believes his own hype a little too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_powers-studio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9ea62f45-1fc7-41a0-86b3-e24c2f40db0cPost:0a106dfe-0c8c-419f-a0bf-b1fddb6e97cd">Re: Powers studio?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Carefull! They just hire in other photographers and skim the top.  Good photographers have their own business.  Powers thinks they can do everything...lol.  From event management to catering.  I think the owner believes his own hype a little too much.
    Posted by dustywright3232[/QUOTE]

I don't really agree with this. The owner of the company is my photographer. His wife is also one of the photographers for the company. And they don't do catering they have preferred and partner caterers they recommend.  I think to each there own. In my opinion they are worth going to and meeting with to discuss what they have to offer. If you don't like them, then don't book them. But don't judge them but what others say. Even me! See for yourself.
    Steph and Brad 10-1-10

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken".
    See my bio!
  • Options
    powersstudiospowersstudios member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to clarify; Powers is a wedding only studio made up of 8 artists that used to do 'everything' but chose to just do weddings.  4 of the 8 shooters are part owners and the other 4 are working towards ownership.  Check your facts, read the website and come in for a meeting - that is the only way to formulate your own accurate opinion.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_powers-studio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9ea62f45-1fc7-41a0-86b3-e24c2f40db0cPost:cb1b0925-d8d8-4a26-8678-7cc03c39237a">Re: Powers studio?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just to clarify; Powers is a wedding only studio made up of 8 artists that used to do 'everything' but chose to just do weddings.  4 of the 8 shooters are part owners and the other 4 are working towards ownership.  Check your facts, read the website and come in for a meeting - that is the only way to formulate your own accurate opinion.
    Posted by powersstudios[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you didn't realize this, but vendors are not allowed to post, even to defend themselves, per The Knot rules:

<em>While we don't allow vendors to post on our message boards, if you are a wedding professional with a question about a post regarding your business; we may, in our sole discretion, post a statement submitted by you, on your behalf. Please email messageboards@theknot.com for more information.
    </em><a href="http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/knot-community-rules.aspx">http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/knot-community-rules.aspx</a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards