Just Engaged and Proposals

XP: Photographer Vent...Lurkers Take Note!

Back Story.... When FI and I first got engaged and started to set a budget for our wedding,we decided one of the things we felt should have a decent chunk of our budget was our photographer and our photography package.  I had one girl who is local to my area who's pics I just ABSOLUTELY LOVED and we decided to book her as our photographer for an engagement session. We never could work out a day that we could meet and talk in person, but we did have several email and phone conversations prior to the day of the engagement session. So I felt comfortable with what we had planned and how she would execute it.

So, the day of our engagement session came, and during the entire shoot, she never really directed us.  Now, I know that with engagement shoots you want your personalities to show through, but what I'm talking about here is, she would say something like "stand here" and we would and then she would just start shooting us, with no direction after that.  So during the shoot, FI and I did feel slightly awkward, and several times throughout the shoot, FI said "should we smile?" because we literally did not know.  

Our session was in the beginning of October, and we JUST NOW got our engagement proofs back.  7 Weeks.  For engagement photos.  When she first told me that it would be that long, I thought to myself, well her photos are awesome, and she must really be taking the time to make these the best for us.  

You can imagine my surprise when I went to view our online gallery and out of 200 pictures, MAYBE 20 of them are DECENT. They are just lacking in every sense of the word, you can tell FI and I had absolutely no idea what to do in many of the poses, and there are more serious faces rather than smiling faces which is so not us, and it looks terrible. 

The silver lining is, we are having a destination wedding, and the photographer at our destination is part of our wedding package and will not be this photographer. So, we won't have to worry about this on our wedding day which is good... but I'm just in a funk about all this now.  FI and our parents have been so sweet and said that they are great, but I just seriously don't see it. Especially for the amount of money we paid her and the time we had to wait for the photos to come back. 

Sorry for such a long post, I said all of that to say this, do your homework on your photographers.  Meet them prior to having a session with them, so they can get to know you as a couple. And if there is no direction in the shoot, please ask them to tell you what to do! haha

RANT OVER!

Re: XP: Photographer Vent...Lurkers Take Note!

• Oh no! I'm sorry they didnt turn out the way you wanted. At least you have a few you can use! I'm not sure if you'd feel comfortable reviewing her on yelp or whatever, but it might be nice to give your opinion of the experience. That way, when other people are considering her they can know it will more 'self directed' than 'photographer directed'.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lglepper said:
    I feel like I could have written your post. We are almost in the same exact position. We managed to pic out maybe 3 that we love to frame. And honestly, that is probably enough. They did offer to do a "Trash the Dress" for free, so we will see if that pans out after the wedding. it's something I'd like to do. We are hoping though that the photog at our destination wedding is better, and we will be more comfortable doing our own thing once there as well! Best of luck!
    I have to ask, did you bring it up to your photographer that you were unhappy with the pics?  If so, how did you do it?  I'm at a loss right now as to what I need to do...
  • I'm pretty sure you need to AW some pictures, just sayin'. 

(But on a serious note, that sucks that she sucked to work with. FI and I won't be able to meet our photographers until a couple days before the wedding, but I've had some good talks with them and our personalities all mesh well and they understand what we're going for, so I have high hopes that it'll turn out OK!)
  • esstee33 said:
    I'm pretty sure you need to AW some pictures, just sayin'. 

(But on a serious note, that sucks that she sucked to work with. FI and I won't be able to meet our photographers until a couple days before the wedding, but I've had some good talks with them and our personalities all mesh well and they understand what we're going for, so I have high hopes that it'll turn out OK!)

I would post some, but they have this God awful watermark on them that stretches across the whole picture.. (that in itself is annoying)

I'm sure you will be fine!  I'm sure not all photographers are like her, and I didn't mean to be such a Debbie Downer, I just needed to vent... to people who would understand what I mean and not say "Oh your pictures are gorgeous!" "You're crazy!" to me constantly. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards