Chit Chat
Options

What to do about hormones?

edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
Every month, my hormone levels are off the chart.  H and I will be starting a family soon... maybe.  Every time that time of the month rolls around, I become totally irrational.  Yes, I have every right to be mad that he didn't clean at all for a week, and left it all for me, when I was stuck in a snowstorm.  But I just take it to a level, now, that I am quite afraid. I am currently unemployed- ish I work, but not many hours, so I do all of the housework.  But today, H told me it was my job to cook and clean for him. I became enraged, and my hormones whispered, "Hit him with the paper towel roll."  I didn't do it, but it scared me that I thought I should.
  I didn't even finish the discussion with him, so I don't really know the full context of what he meant. I went on the front porch and bawled my eyes out.  What the hell is happening to me?  I become unglued every month.  I get so mad, and then, just as quickly, it turns to tears. Is there anything I can do to not be such a hormonal crazypants?  Vitamins?  I am usually very quiet and calm up until a day before my period. So, I don't think this is a counseling issue, I just need to put a rein on my ovaries, somehow. What do you ladies do to get bitchiness under control?

Re: What to do about hormones?

• Options
    Chocolate - back in the days when I needed to control my hormones!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'll take that prescription, any day. Lol!

• Options
    You think your hormones are off kilter now - just wait until you are pregnant.  It is worse!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Probably stress. I would have hit him with the paper towel roll for saying that. WTF 

Unless you want to be his domestic servant (slave), and you enjoy being talked to like that-you should probably tell him to fuck off the next time he tells you it's your job to do "women's work". 

When I was unemployed, I did all the cooking/cleaning/errands. FI never once said anything like that to me, and even took over once in awhile since he knows how much I hate cleaning. 

I am going to channel my inner tampon monoixde, but if he seriously can't support you during this, he needs to go. 

You wouldn't be bitchy if your FI wasn't an asshole. Why don't we figure out how to get his hormones under control?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I talk myself down (or at least, I try to).  If I know when I ovulated, I try to just be more aware for the next 2 weeks.  

FWIW, I'm not hormonal at all right now and I raised my eyebrows at your husband's comment.
  • Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    I am also not hormonal and I would have hit him with the paper towel roll. That's not cool.

Our household is an "equal opportunity household" in that FI makes a LOT more money than me, but we both do equal amounts (or almost equal amounts) of house work. It just makes sense to us - both of us are contributing to the mess, dishes, laundry, whatever so we can both help out.

Now that you've cooled off a bit, I'd check and see what he meant by that. Maybe it was an accident. FI says stupid shit all the time - he once called me a hippo but he meant that I was strong.
  • Options
    I would have been pissed if H said that to me. 

I've heard that vitamin B 12 and B 6  are good for a hormonal balance. 
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, when is the last time you had blood work done on your hormone levels?  I went off BC a few months ago, hoping I would lose weight (I haven't--boo), and my hormones have been steadily getting worse every month.  I've been getting more emotional for longer periods of time, and I can't seem to snap out of it.  Since I haven't lost any weight, I'm going back on it after my next period.  Obviously that's not the answer since you are TTC, but your doctor might have suggestions once you get your bloodwork back if there is anything unusual.

@ClimbingBrideNY is correct, B vitamins will help a little.  The B vitamins are important for the methylation of your hormones.  If you are off/low on B, it will absolutely throw your hormones for a loop.  If you get blood work done, you should test for that too.  

Daily exercise will help, and you should avoid caffeine during your period.  (Also, apparently eggplant messes with female hormones during menstruation.  My doctor told me to avoid it during my period, and I couldn't eat it a few days before I got blood work done.  I was like, whaaaat?)

Hope you feel better! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards