Getting in Shape
Options

Exercise Suggestions...?

I'm looking for some exercise suggestions. I had knee surgery almost a month ago and am still weaning of my crutches. Before my surgery I had gotten into a great routine of 4-5 days at the gym to workout and lost some weight. I'd love to lose another 10lbs before the wedding (July), but am worried my progress is going backtrack because I'm unable to hit the gym and with Xmas coming up!!

I've been doing crunches and sit ups at home, but I need more exercises I can do to help stay on track. I'm allowed to use a recumbent bike, which I have, but am not allowed to use it with any resistance yet. Any exercise suggestions are welcome!!! Especially ones that don't require full leg mobility.

TIA

Re: Exercise Suggestions...?

• Options

I still think you should go to the gym, because it's very motivating.  You could do some upper body free weights and continue your crunches and floor mat exercises.

Are you allowed to swim?  There might be a Y in your area.

If you can afford it you may want to do a session with a trainer.  They're generally really good with injuries.  Are you doing physical therapy?

10 lbs is really not that much to lose and you have plenty of time.  Don't be too hard on yourself as your body recovers. 

• Options
    I second swimming, you're likely allowed to do it! Also, water aerobics/water based exercise is often really helpful for patients post-op. I have worked with patients that had total knee replacements that were permitted to do pretty much anything in the water- ask your doctor if this is ok! If it is, light walking in the pool mixed with arm and leg exercises would be great! If you don't have a PT prescription, try to get one because they can help you with the exercise plan and they most likely have a recumbent bike for you to use. Good luck!
  • Options
    What exercise has your doctor approved? "Knee surgery" is pretty generic and what is going to work for one recovering knee is not going to work for another.

Swimming is phenomenal exercise and a great cardio workout when you can't put a lot of force on your leg(s). But, I'd want that cleared with my doc first.

How about upper body weights? You can do a lot sitting or laying. Building muscle helps burn calories and gives your body great shape and definition. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards