African American Weddings
Options

Crazy Idea? Reception Ideas?

mrsdweavermrsdweaver member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited December 2014 in African American Weddings
Hey y'all! So I know this may seem crazy but I am considering NOT hiring a DJ for my day and just setting up speakers, etc. for processional/recessional music and maybe a little background music. I'm not completely sure how my family and friends will respond but I know that my cousin's wedding this past July was mostly socializing and only a few people got up to dance...DH and I don't even like dancing much but I know your reception has to accommodate others as well so they won't be bored. Besides, our reception will be an interactive one--we're gonna play a newlywed game (and include other couples so it'll be fun for everyone), have a backdrop for photos for everyone, show a photo slideshow, and have words of wisdom from the long-term married couples in the family.

So would it be weird to cut it out and instead of having loud music, just socializing music (maybe making a whole playlist to play softly and just plugging up the iPod)? Also, do you guys have anymore ideas about what we could do during the reception? I know the music brings lots of fun/dancing so let me know which way to go! Thanks!

Re: Crazy Idea? Reception Ideas?

• Options
    You and Hubbys day customize it the way you feel fit. Go for it!
  • Options
    I think no music is a little weird. Even with all those activties there will be lulls in the reception. Even if you do an ipod with ambiance music
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    @M1ssJ‌ so you think even ambiance music wont be enough?
  • Options
    M1ssJ... my thing is if you plan on having the all out reception you should have some kind of dj/live band playing music simply because ppl will tend to get bored in between the games and eating and photos.. Even if its a dj playing some soft music of old school music i would give ppl the option... Also are you not doing the bride/groom first dance or father/daughter mother/son dance?

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Options
    @tirathemrs‌ well, I hadn't completely decided about doing those dances because we got married in June so this is just our formal ceremony and reception. I honestly have no idea what to do.lol so many questions!
  • Options
    mrsdweaver On that note honey id say make it as unformal as you can ie: dress attire semi formal but instead of a sit down maybe think about cocktails being served that way the games and photos and speaches will be the main center of entertainment and the soft music will add to the ambiance. And it also lets everyone know that we arent dancing or doing the cupid shuffle tonight but more so enjoying each others company and having drinks and cocktails for the celebration.. idk just a suggestion..

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Options
    I believe in having your wedding your way.  However, you do have to consider your guests somewhat.  I would think a reception sans a dj or band would boring to me as a guest. Unless you set up a kaoroke machine! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oooooo karaoke sounds fun! I will actually consider that, but I do think I am going to go ahead and get some music for the day. After speaking to my mother and you ladies, I'm gonna have music! Thanks :)@marsm4
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards