Chit Chat

Just booked a trip to London!

DH and I were watching a show about Bhurma last night when he paused the show and lamented about how he wants to travel more. About how there's a big world out there and we've seen so little of it. I agreed with him. Then, i got a crazy idea. I have two vacation days left, he has two personal days left. So, I said, how would you feel about going somewhere over Christmas?

Within about 10 minutes we decided on London, and I just booked it through Costco this morning for about 50% off of what it would be to book everything separate. I'm SUPER excited! 

I'm working on booking our tours now. We're going to see Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge one day, then do a tour of London, St. Paul's Cathedral and see the Changing of the guard another day. We may go to Paris for a day too. We're staying near St. James Square, our hotel is only a 10 minute walk to Buckingham Palace. 

Re: Just booked a trip to London!

• Woo hoo! How exciting! Take lots of pictures
  • sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Have fun! I highly recommend Paris if you can swing it. Have you been before?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Have a great trip, you're coming to my city :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How exciting!
  • Yes, I've been to Paris, but DH has not. He's not sure if he wants to go, he's afraid we won't have time. Seeing as pretty much everything is closed on Christmas day, he may have a point. 
  • Yay! Last minute travel plans are my favorite :) It heightens the sense of adventure to me. Have fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds amazing! I love spur of the moment trips! I went to London when I was a teenager, it's such a fun city with tons to see.

Formerly martha1818

• So fun!! Save time for shopping! I feel like we are so behind Europe in fashion.
  • That's so awesome!!!! I hope you guys have a blast. Take tons of pics!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Yaaay! My first thought was that would would be cool if we went at the same time but I'm going in March. What's the name of the hotel? We haven't chosen one yet.

• Awesome! Spontaneous vacations are the best! Have so much fun :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:
    Yaaay! My first thought was that would would be cool if we went at the same time but I'm going in March. What's the name of the hotel? We haven't chosen one yet.
    We're staying at the Sofitel St. James. There's no way we would have been able to afford it if it weren't for Costco. Got it so much cheaper through them.

So DH is now having second thoughts/cold feet about the trip. He feels guilty about traveling instead of visiting his family for Christmas. He also feels bad that he told a friend that they'd spend Christmas together and now his friend would be alone. But that all doesn't make sense- because if he/we travel to see his family, then he won't be spending the holiday with his friend. So we'll talk when he gets home. But I don't think he should be concerned about his friend- he's an adult and he has other friends. i'm offering we visit his family in January. Heck, I'll drive out there this weekend if it makes him feel better!
  • Oh awesome!! We don't have Costco where I live :(
    Is it refundable? Most plane tickets aren't so I'd think if you already booked it, you kinda have to go. I also think it would be nice if you two do something big and special for your first married Christmas. I mean you're your own family now, so I wouldn't feel guilty about not spending it with parents. But my family is not close, I haven't seen them for Christmas in 9 years so I guess I have a skewed vision of holidays lol. 

• My parents lived in England and I spent a Christmas there once year.  Now this was a while ago but there were a lot of places closed on the 24th, 25th and 26th.  So keep that in mind.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

My parents lived in England and I spent a Christmas there once year.  Now this was a while ago but there were a lot of places closed on the 24th, 25th and 26th.  So keep that in mind.

This. I was thinking that when I read your post. I was thinking of going one year at Xmas but DH warned me of all of the closures. He also got guilted into visiting his family. So, we went over Thanksgiving instead.

We love it there and I was so fucking bummed to not be able to go this year. We're def going next year and spending time in Portsmouth before a week in London. We always stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly.

• jenna8984 said:
    Oh awesome!! We don't have Costco where I live :(
    Is it refundable? Most plane tickets aren't so I'd think if you already booked it, you kinda have to go. I also think it would be nice if you two do something big and special for your first married Christmas. I mean you're your own family now, so I wouldn't feel guilty about not spending it with parents. But my family is not close, I haven't seen them for Christmas in 9 years so I guess I have a skewed vision of holidays lol. 
    There would probably be hefty fees involved in moving the trip. I spoke to him about why I wanted to keep it as is. Tonight he went out with his friend he was going to spend Christmas with to tell him we'd be in London. So I think he's resigned to the fact that we'll be gone. I've been trying to talk to my parents all day. I was supposed to go home for Christmas. I texted my sister last night about how we may be going to London and she was at home so my dad saw it. She said they were a little upset, but nothing serious. So I'm hoping they are just busy or out and that's why I haven't been able to get a hold of them. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My parents lived in England and I spent a Christmas there once year.  Now this was a while ago but there were a lot of places closed on the 24th, 25th and 26th.  So keep that in mind.
    Yeah, I already pulled a list of everything that is closed on Christmas. We have tours planned on Saturday and Sunday. Plan Christmas day and the 26th is mostly to just enjoy the city.
  • That's awesome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards