Honeymoon Discussions

Vacation ideas - off the beaten path

DH and I are trying to decide where to go on our next vacation.  We are looking at going either March or June (doesn't matter to us, we just can't go April/May). We are in NJ and would like to fly somewhere, preferably within 8 hours and outside the US.  We are trying to keep this trip more budget friendly due to home repairs and a larger trip planned for late 2015.... we're trying to shoot for airfare and hotel around 2k-2,500 (we know food and activities will cost extra and that's not part of that amount).  

We try and alternate our vacations between beachy (just went to Hawaii) and adventure (Peru before that).  We have no preferences for this vacation, except that we'd like to *try* to make it a little non-typical (ie no Mexico, Punta Cana) and we don't want a cruise.  I also don't want a beach hotel where I have to get up at 5am to reserve a chair.  We're not opposed to all-inclusive (we'd bump budget up to 3k) and we'd like to stay 7 nights, though would drop to 5 for something unique or special.

We usually pull up a world map to help us decide future trips, but trying to keep this trip within a budget is hindering us a bit.  I know there are some well-traveled ladies here, so thought I'd ask for ideas.  Any hidden gems or places off the beaten path?  Or just a favorite destination?  

*Because I know these destinations come up alot, I'll mention that Costa Rica and Belize are not options as we've been there before and we always try and see someplace new.  

Re: Vacation ideas - off the beaten path

• We're looking into going to Panama next year.
  • We're looking into going to Panama next year.

This. I was thinking Panama or maybe Honduras.

• I would go to Iceland- hands down. Should work from a flight standpoint, but I don't know about budget, I think that all depends on how you do it. It's a little early in the season, but you'll be fine. June actually has long days there. 
  • The first place that came to mind was Bocas Del Toro Panama. I'm not sure if there are any AIs there but it's very inexpensive. It's a bit more rugged and less luxurious than a lot of places in the Caribbean but that's the appeal for me. It's been a backpacker destinatiom since the 70s but in the past 5 years they've had an increase is tourism. There are 9 different islands, one of which is mostly a marine park. So there is more to do because you have lots of different places to explore. The weather is a bit oppressive though, they get more rain and the humidity can be terrible.

You could also look into Roatan (Honduras) but there's more crime there, plus it caters to the cruise industry, so you'll have a lot of day tourists swarming in and the excursions/activities are centered around cruise ship passengers. There are AIs on Roatan. The southern end of the reef that is off Belize/Costa Rica is close to the island so the diving and snorkeling is excellent. The beaches are really nice but the safer ones are overrun by the cruise ships when they are in port. I know there are some direct flights from EWR but it might just be on the weekends. Unless you want to dive every day you might get bored. There are places to see on mainland Honduras but I admit I'm too scared to go there right now.
  • Montreal?  Very French!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'd second Iceland, though it's super expensive there, and it sounds like you're looking for more AI/beachy.  I've heard Panama is up and coming.  And I've also done the south of France (Nice/Monacco) and that was pretty awesome too.  

** I have no idea about prices/flights from NJ, so could be way off base in suggestions.  

• Thank you ladies!  I started looking into Panama after @ClimbingBrideNY mentioned it, which led me to Bocas del Toro, @daria24.  We've already been to Iceland, so that's out, though we would like to go back at some point during the summer months (we went during winter).  Roatan was already at the top of our short list (DH is a diver, I'm content to sit by the water reading). 

@WinstonsGirl - Definitely doesn't have to be beachy (and we don't usually do AI).  I'm going to look up the Nice area though just out of curiosity.  We haven't been to France yet.  We do have airline miles we can redeem, so Europe isn't out of the question.  We've thrown around the idea of Greece if we can redeem the miles. 
  • I was going to say Iceland because I'm going there in March but you've already been so that's frigen awesome. I was also seriously looking into the Azores. Ponta Delgada is the capital, on Sao Miguel island off Portugal. It's only a 5 hour direct flight from Boston so I'm sure there are flights from NJ/NY too. Google how gorgeous it is! My old college roommate just went for her honeymoon and loved it. It's beachy but also very naturey- lakes, mountains, to explore- bike tours, jeep tours. Definitely an up & coming place which is still very affordable right now. 

What about out West? Last year we flew into Vegas then drove to the Grand Canyon, then down to Sedona AZ with the redrock canyons. So pretty. 

• H & I just went to Pagosa Springs CO and it was amazing!  We flew into Durango CO and drove about an hour to get to Pagosa.  There were so many things to do!  They have hot springs there.  I think June would be better.  H & I loved it, we went to the hot springs every day.  It's probably not what you are looking for, but I wanted to throw this out as an option.  It is on H & I's list to return to.
  • Ooohh, I love hot springs!  I will definitely check that out @OliveOilsMom!

@jenna8984 - I remember you talking about a deal you saw for the Azores from Boston!  I looked it up at that time and sadly there are no direct flights from NJ.  I mean, I would still go, it's just a shame because it would've been such a short travel time.  Did you ever research hotels?   I need to look into it a bit more on TripAdvisor to find out the areas in relation to hotels, attractions, etc.....I'm completely lost looking at hotels when I just plug it into Expedia.
  • Aw that does stink that you'd have a connection! My college roommate stayed at Furnas Lake Villas (which look awesome) and she said they got a rental car to explore the island, since the other side of the island is only about 45 minutes drive. 

• The western coast of Ireland is one of my favorite places, especially Doolin in County Clare. It's the traditional music capital of Ireland, so there's live music in the pubs basically every night. The area around it has a very unique landscape, you can hike to the Cliffs of Moher, go caving, take a ferry over to the Aran Islands, and it's very budget-friendly. 
  • esstee33 said:
    The western coast of Ireland is one of my favorite places, especially Doolin in County Clare. It's the traditional music capital of Ireland, so there's live music in the pubs basically every night. The area around it has a very unique landscape, you can hike to the Cliffs of Moher, go caving, take a ferry over to the Aran Islands, and it's very budget-friendly. 
    I've been to Ireland, but DH hasn't.  I'd love to go back someday.  The Cliffs of Moher were my favorite!
  • @joane2012 Did you decide anything yet? 

• @jenna8984 - The Azores is actually top of our list!   The price is incredible, not to mention it just looks absolutely beautiful.  Unfortunately DH has taken on a new client at work so we can't book anything for now.  It's killing me because we usually always have something booked and I just feel like this is going to be a tough year for travel.  I'll definitely keep you posted if we do book it!
  • ooooh awesome! Hopefully you'll get to book something soon. I'm the same way, I like to go on 2 trips per year so I get anxiety if I don't have one booked haha 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards