Chit Chat
Options

prenatals

What prenatals is everyone using?  DH and I are planning to start TTC in a few months, so I would like to start taking vitamins now.  Any and all recommendations welcome.

Re: prenatals

• Options
    I've been taking the Vitafusion gummies. I don't like swallowing huge pills and these are tasty. They're kind of expensive, but I got them BOGO at Rite Aid.

• Options
    I take the One a Day w/ DHA - they've worked well for me from the get-go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I take the One -A-Day w/DHA also.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Just generic prenatal vitamins. I compared them to the One-A-Day standards we have and they aren't that dissimilar. Frankly, if you eat a balanced diet- you shouldn't need them at all. For example, one cup of raw spinach has all the folic acid you need for a day. But better safe than sorry, so I'm taking them.
  • Options
    I take a generic when I rememeber to take them. I'm so bad at that. I'm also pregnant.
  • Options
    I take the one-a-day also.
  • Options
    I've been taking the Vitafusion gummies. I don't like swallowing huge pills and these are tasty. They're kind of expensive, but I got them BOGO at Rite Aid.

I took these with my last pregnancy and they made my morning sickness so bad. I've heard other similar reactions. Bummer too because they were so easy to take.
  • Options
    I take Rainbow Light, a once-a-day horse pill (vegetarian) and a vegetarian DHA supplement. I've got no complaints (and I am pregnant).
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    Just generic prenatal vitamins. I compared them to the One-A-Day standards we have and they aren't that dissimilar. Frankly, if you eat a balanced diet- you shouldn't need them at all. For example, one cup of raw spinach has all the folic acid you need for a day. But better safe than sorry, so I'm taking them.

It's easier said than done to eat a balanced diet when carbs are all you can keep down. So for me, getting that daily iron and folic acid has been essential.
  • Options
    I take folic acid and an iron supplement. My doctor recommended the iron supplement after my pre-conception bloodwork showed I'm severely iron deficient.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Blergbot said:

SBmini said:

It's easier said than done to eat a balanced diet when carbs are all you can keep down. So for me, getting that daily iron and folic acid has been essential.

Certain medical conditions require you to have a higher dose of folic acid, so "a balanced diet and prenatal" aren't good enough for me. My OB/GYN wrote me a prescription for folic acid in addition to prenatals. I haven't decided on a brand yet though, so I'll be following this thread!

image   image   image

• Options
    SBmini said:

Certain medical conditions require you to have a higher dose of folic acid, so "a balanced diet and prenatal" aren't good enough for me. My OB/GYN wrote me a prescription for folic acid in addition to prenatals. I haven't decided on a brand yet though, so I'll be following this thread!

And I have a high iron count. Luckily, not enough to take the iron out of my prenatal or anything. But a lot of stuff is just dependent on your body, so definitely double check with your doc.
  • Options
    Currently taking generic, debating switching to gummed in hopes I'll remember to take them better

Anniversary
  • Options
    I take the Rainbow Lite prenatal vitamins as well. I am pregnant now. I got in the habit after I was pregnant of taking the vitamins at night right before going to bed. I had pretty bad morning sickness for the weeks 6 through 13-14 weeks and found that it was better to take them before bed rather than in the morning since I could sleep through any nausea much better and not have to worry about throwing them up. Just a thought if you're going to start getting in the habit of taking vitamins. 
  • Options
    I take the store brand from DH's work pharmacy that has separate containers for the prenatal ams DHA. When that's done I'm moving to bulk BJS prenatals that I'll take as long as I'm fertile.
  • Options
    sunset30 said:
    I take the Rainbow Lite prenatal vitamins as well. I am pregnant now. I got in the habit after I was pregnant of taking the vitamins at night right before going to bed. I had pretty bad morning sickness for the weeks 6 through 13-14 weeks and found that it was better to take them before bed rather than in the morning since I could sleep through any nausea much better and not have to worry about throwing them up. Just a thought if you're going to start getting in the habit of taking vitamins. 
    I can definitely get a queasy stomach when it comes to meds.  I got the all in one Target brand to try.  I'm taking them right before bed with water so I can sleep through any stomach upsetness.  So far so good! 
  • Options
    It actually works for me.

In grad school, my friend made a point to me: it's easy to forget a vitamin but you never forget to eat a gummy bear. It's true. I see my gummy multivitamins, prenatals, and calcium supplements as dessert (though the prenatals are a recent addition).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I took the generic ones that are free from Meijer while we were TTC. But when I got pregnant they made me so sick that my Dr. had me taking Flintstone vitamins and iron supplements.
  • Options
    Just the basic Kirkland ones from Costco. I take an extra iron pill on top of that too.

• Options
    I use to take Nature Made with DHA when I was pregnant. Now I take Target brand. Neither upset my stomach.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I take vitafusion gummies not only for pre natals but vitamin c, calcium, basially any vitamin I need I look for vitafusion gummies because I'm horrible at taking pills. I also find now that I am dieting that the gummies sort of help with a sweet tooth and give your mind the impression they are eating candy so it is win win for me.
  • Options
    shanliann said:
    I take vitafusion gummies not only for pre natals but vitamin c, calcium, basially any vitamin I need I look for vitafusion gummies because I'm horrible at taking pills. I also find now that I am dieting that the gummies sort of help with a sweet tooth and give your mind the impression they are eating candy so it is win win for me.
    We have the Vitamin C ones too - H takes them in the winter to help ward off colds. They've definitely helped! And yeah, totally help with the sweet tooth. I get all excited when we run out of candy but I remember that I can take my vitamins! Haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards