Attire & Accessories Forum

Under the dress attire?

What are you going with? I was surprised to find out how many different kinds of bras/bustiers/etc there was to wear under a wedding dress!

Re: Under the dress attire?

• I went with a full on corset/garter strap/stocking combo (wanted the wow factor when the dress came off :)

I ended up getting mine from an adult store, though, since the regular lingerie stores didn't carry anything like what I was looking for in my size.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I wore boyshorts.  That's it.   I had cups sewn in.  I tried the spanx on before the wedding but it was so damn hot and constricting I knew I wouldn't be comfortable.  Besides, my dress had a corset, so I knew that would pull in some and be flattering.  I was more concerned about my comfort for 7-8 hours than 5 min getting the dress off.
  • Do you need to have this (whatever you choose) at your first fitting?  (my first fitting is in February)

• Probably just a strapless push up bra to add some extra oomph (I find a bra more comfortable than sewn-in cups) and cute, comfy panties. My dress is a high-waisted ballgown so it doesn't need shape wear.

@futuremrshp it would be good to have but probably isn't required for the first fitting. Your seamstress can help you decide what kind of undergarments would be best for the dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Spanx and a Nubra...with the expensive french lingerie on a hanger in a pretty hang up bag ready for afterwards.  Had the bracelet and necklace that went with the lingerie in there, too, for a fast change.  Worked like a charm--was able to freshen up and change.  
  • I'm wearing a long-line bra with a massive crinoline slip and some comfy underwear... not sexy. Like @atlastmrsg, the nice lingerie will go on in the hotel room after the reception.
  • My dress doesn't need shapewear, so I'm just wearing comfortable underwear and no bra. I'm trying to minimise cleavage so I don't want any extra lift from a bra.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore a long-line bra and Spanx, although the Spanx weren't really necessary. 
  • Try to bring whatever you get to the first fitting because it can slightly change the fit. For example, I am a 36D wearing a strapless dress and I opted for sew-in cups. I ordered on Amazon two different sizes and brought them to my first fitting so we could decide which size worked best. Then the seamstress was able to determine how much to take in on the bust so it fit me nice and tight. 

I also bought spanx but at the first fitting saw that the "panty line" of the spanx showed through the dress (it is a sheath dress). So I knew I had to find spanx that went mid-thigh. I'm just thankful I had all this information from the first fitting, so I could be ready for the second fitting. Just picked up my dress Saturday and fits great.
  • I wore a pair of blue undies and that was it.  The inside of my dress was super structured so a bra was unnecessary.

If you are unsure about what you want or need to wear under your dress, bring a few options to your fitting to see what is the most comfortable, most flattering and provides the most support.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards