Wedding Invitations & Paper

Unique Save the Date Wording Situation

I am getting married next year in the greater Philadelphia area during Pope Francis's visit to Philadelphia. Because of this, most hotels are unable to accommodate block reservations, though they will have rooms for individual reservation. We therefore are trying to get our Save the Dates out as soon as possible so that guests are aware. What would be the best wording to include to advise our out of town guests to reserve their own rooms sooner rather than later? I was going to include something like "His Holiness Pope Francis will be in Philadelphia for the 2015 World Meeting of Families during this week. Please be mindful of the high demand for lodging this weekend and plan accordingly." along with some nearby hotels. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Re: Unique Save the Date Wording Situation

• Do you have a wedding website? I would direct them there and then on the website, convey that information. I wouldn't necessarily put it on the STD. And I would also spread it via word of mouth.

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    That's really not STD material.  Like PP said, put on wedding website or spread via word of mouth.  Not to mention, adults can make their own travel arrangements.  While knowing that it might be harder to get a room than the average weekend may be helpful, sometimes room blocks aren't possible/cheaper anyway.  

Not to mention, getting into religious territory on your STDs may be off putting to some guests.  I love the Pope, but not sure if that would make an atheist/Muslim/Jewish/Wiccan/whatever guest not want to put it on their fridge.
  • Personally, I would go ahead and put it on the STD.  Many people won't check the website right away and might even wait until they get the invite if at all (esp older folks).  If you think it's going to be tough to get rooms then I would make sure that information is on the STD itself.  That's what there're for really, to get people the information that they need to have at that time, and if they are going to need to reserve a room that far out then they need to know that.  I like your wording but if you are worried that you might have guests of other religions besides catholic that it would bother then I might leave out the "his holiness" part.  To me (I am an atheist) that is the only part that might be even slightly an issue.  Honestly, I would probably just take it as informational regardless and not think too much of it, but if you left that part off and just put it as "Pope Francis will be..." then to my ears at least you don't have any issue at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards