Chit Chat

Registering for shtuff...need help please!

I am trying to get our registry somewhat set up, since our STDs just arrived and I'll be sending them out next week. I've reached the ultimate conundrum so I figured it'd bring it before the board.

How many place settings did you register for??? We need everyday dishes but we also entertain every couple of months, though rarely is it more than 8 people. Our dining room set can seat up to 10 though, so do I go with 8, 10, or 12? Should I get 6 or 8 everyday dish sets and more sets in a nicer pattern for entertaining? Help me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registering for shtuff...need help please!

• I would personally, suggest registering for 10 or 12. Cause breakage.

Anniversary
  • I think a lot of people get at least 12 place settings for china. That's what I registered for, and right now my table only holds 4 people (though you could squeeze 6).

I would go with at least 8 regular everyday dishes, if not more. 

• JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I would guess 10 if thats the max your table can accomodate and that way you have 2 more seatings for unexpected guests. 

ETA: I have no idea on any specifics, we are getting my mom's and possibly one of my grandmother's formal place settings that I think are for like 12 ppl. We also got offered my paternal grandmothers formal dinning set. idk what we'll do. I do love my mother's set.

We registered for 8 place settings for our everyday. But since we bought a cheap one at marshalls for the apt we might modify and get a similar one to complete the 8

• I would go with 10 or 12 to account for breakage and unexpected guests.  I think ultimately it comes down to how many people you would normally host, and then up it by a few.  

• We did 12 of each. I'll need to get more formal settings though because if we have my whole family over (like we did today) it's 14 adults and 4 kids (so far), and 12/3 with H's whole family. We don't all fit at one table but that's OK.

I thought 12 was a reasonable number to ask for but 16 seemed too high. Our casual dishes came as a set of 12.

• I guess we'll go with 8 for everyday and 12 for formal stuff. Thanks ladies :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely don't register for fewer than 10 place settings of formal china, because lots of vendors will give you bonus freebie stuff if you get 10 place settings!  
  • We're not getting formal china, so we registered for 12 settings of very pretty everyday plates, bowls, flatware, etc. We've had 8 place settings for the past two years and we kept running out of bowls, small plates, forks, and small spoons, unless we ran the dishwasher like ... every other day.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We didn't register for formal china (I have an old family set), but we registered for 12 place settings of everyday dishes.  They only came in boxes of 4, and 8 didn't seem like enough, so 12 it was.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• phira said:
    We're not getting formal china, so we registered for 12 settings of very pretty everyday plates, bowls, flatware, etc. We've had 8 place settings for the past two years and we kept running out of bowls, small plates, forks, and small spoons, unless we ran the dishwasher like ... every other day.
    This is what I was going to say...we registered for 12 settings, only because we use the dishwasher and I don't want to run the dishwasher all the time because we've run out of dishes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got 8 place settings of every day dishes and then just got 8 extra dinner plates. Dinner plates are the only things we have ever run out of and we didn't want to have to run the dish washer just because we needed more big plates. We love our new every day dishes!
  • I live alone and run my dishwasher every other day at minimum. Anyway, I would definitely aim for 12. Chips, breakage, rando things gone missing in a black hole with socks, hair ties etc. Granted I live in vacation central but when I was married, when we had just two couples as house guests that's 6 people per meal (not counting kids) and we'd blow through dishes.
  • we registered for 16 sets of casual dishes (4 boxes of 4 setting each) and 12 settings of china (I will purchase an additional 4 sets someday to get to 16)
  • We're not china types so we didn't register for it. However, we registered for 12 place settings of everyday dishes and an additional 8 dinner and salad plates. SS has already broken 1 plate so we're happy to have the extras. We're also happy that we chose a pattern that Crate & Barrel has carried for years and often puts on sale.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Anytime I have more than 8 people over we do paper products because: clean up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards