Wedding Party
Options

Feeling really awkward about WP

Is it rude of me not to have my FI sister as one of my bridesmaids? 

Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that I should ask her until...My FIs brother is getting married and his soon to be wife asked her to be one of her bridesmaid. Now everyone is gushing over how sweet it is that she asked his sister to be in the wedding party and I'm just standing over here feeling really awkward.

Re: Feeling really awkward about WP

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    My FI has a sister. She is not in the bridal party. I dont consider her and I to be friends. It doesn't mean that I hate her or anything. Its just bridal parties are people that are near and dear to you.

Is it a nice gesture? Yes. Is it something you need to do? No. If she "needs" to be in the bridal party, she can stand on his side.

• Options
    My H has a sister.  I did not ask her to be in my bridal party.  I never even gave it a thought until my Mom said something like "do you think she will expect to be in your wedding?"  I told my Mom that even if she expected it I wasn't going to ask her.  I am not that close with her and I already had a large enough bridal party for me (2 girls and even that was one more then I really wanted).

So don't let what people are saying sway you to do something that you never even thought to do.  The fact that you didn't even consider asking her to be in your bridal party means that you shouldn't ask her.  

• Options
    If your FI wants her in the wedding she can stand up on his side.  You have your nearest and dearest and so does he. You're not obligated by any means to have FI's siblings stand up for you.
  • Options
    mealee said:
    Is it rude of me not to have my FI sister as one of my bridesmaids? 

Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that I should ask her until...My FIs brother is getting married and his soon to be wife asked her to be one of her bridesmaid. Now everyone is gushing over how sweet it is that she asked his sister to be in the wedding party and I'm just standing over here feeling really awkward.
    Are you close with his sister? I'm guessing since you're posing this question, you're not, so don't ask her. It's not rude to not ask her, especially since you'd only be asking her out of obligation. If it's important to your FI that she be in the wedding party, she can stand on his side. 
  • Options
    Honestly, my brother's wife asked me to be in theirs well after she had asked her friends. Like they had already picked out dresses when she asked me. It was awkward for me, I felt like she only threw me in after the fact for even numbers or because she felt obligated. I did it because he's my only brother but I would have preferred if she never asked me since we're not friends. She was not in minea year later.

• Options
    I find it hard to be close to someone her age. We like the same movies and I read YA sometimes but I'm more than double her age.
  • Options
    Inviting her to be one now would definitely seem weird. Getting married in less than 3 months. My FI has never said anything. I just feel awkward because of the other bride doing it and how much it's talked about.
  • Options
    mealee said:
    Inviting her to be one now would definitely seem weird. Getting married in less than 3 months. My FI has never said anything. I just feel awkward because of the other bride doing it and how much it's talked about.
    Yeah, definitely don't ask her, then. By now I'm sure she'd realize that it would only be out of obligation or pity. 
  • Options
    My sister in law asked me when she married my brother and I asked both her and my FI's sister in law to be my bridesmaids.  But, I like them both very much so it wasn't an issue for me.  

• Options
    cafarriecafarrie member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I had my H's 2 sisters as BM's.  I wouldn't say we're particularly close, but I like them a lot.  And H and I thought of our wedding party more as one big party and picked it together.  

ETA:  In your situation I would not ask her, especially if your FI doesn't care/hasn't mentioned it. 
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. My SIL asked my sister and I to be in their wedding and it was obvious that she needed us to make her side even to my brother's. We are not close at all and my sister and I were very uncomfortable. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    You also don't need to give her some BS made-up job, like guestbook attendant or program hander-outer. Just invite her as a guest.
  • Options

I have 4 SILs (two are H's sisters, two are my two BILs wives). I asked 2 of them (H's sisters) because I am close with them. The other two had no problem with it. I did make sure to include them in some of the pictures. There is one with me and all 4 of my SILs and it is one of my favorite pictures. Maybe you could just include her in family portraits if you are doing them?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Totally okay that you didn't ask her to begin with, but there is always still time to ask her if that's what you want to do now, or maybe you could ask her to do a reading at your ceremony? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I have 4 SILs (two are H's sisters, two are my two BILs wives). I asked 2 of them (H's sisters) because I am close with them. The other two had no problem with it. I did make sure to include them in some of the pictures. There is one with me and all 4 of my SILs and it is one of my favorite pictures. Maybe you could just include her in family portraits if you are doing them?

Wish I would have seen this before my wedding as I TOTALLY would have gotten pro pictures with just me and my SIL's!
  • Options
    abbyj700 said:

Wish I would have seen this before my wedding as I TOTALLY would have gotten pro pictures with just me and my SIL's!

I'll definitely get some pictures with her and with all the fam and her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards