Chit Chat
Options

Wedding bands (like the actual ring, not the musical entertainment)

I felt like I had to clarify in the title.  Not sure if this belongs in another group but I couldn't figure out which one so I"m asking here.

Is your wedding band and engagement ring the same metal?

I have a platinum engagement ring but am really leaning towards a rose gold and diamond wedding band.  I have a long time before I need to decide but I like hearing what other people have!  

Re: Wedding bands (like the actual ring, not the musical entertainment)

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    I'm having this same struggle. All of the engagement rings I loved at first were rose gold, and it looks SO nice with my skintone. My actual engagement ring is white gold, and I really like mixed metals, so I'm thinking of going with a rose or yellow gold wedding band. I love them both equally. The problem, if you can really call it that, is that my e-ring takes up most of the real estate on my finger, so you can barely see the metal anyway, so I'm not sure if it'll even matter in the end. 

I also can't decide if I want to get just one curved band, or a wrap. Ughhhhhhh. 

ETA: Basically, I think mixed metals are awesome and rose gold is gorgeous.
  • Options

We stuck with white gold for both of our bands (my e-ring is white gold too). I wanted the "matching" band for my e-ring but it was only in platinum and we really didn't feel like paying more than double the cost when we could get a white gold band that was just as pretty. I guess I'm not sure about mixed metals but it sounds like it could be pretty?

Here are ours:

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    I'm having this same struggle. All of the engagement rings I loved at first were rose gold, and it looks SO nice with my skintone. My actual engagement ring is white gold, and I really like mixed metals, so I'm thinking of going with a rose or yellow gold wedding band. I love them both equally. The problem, if you can really call it that, is that my e-ring takes up most of the real estate on my finger, so you can barely see the metal anyway, so I'm not sure if it'll even matter in the end. 

I also can't decide if I want to get just one curved band, or a wrap. Ughhhhhhh. 
    I had them set my engagement ring high enough so I can slide a band under it.  I just want a really thin band with tiny diamonds, my ring is definitely a statement piece and I have small hands, but I'm digging the idea of mixed metals.  I tend to wear mixed metals all the time, I just don't want to hate it in a few years and wish they matched easily!

• Options

Mine are both white gold.  I didn't want an elaborate wedding band, just something simple, so it made the most sense.  I don't have any pictures on my work computer, but my engagement ring is a simple square cut solitaire and both bands are (I think) 3mm.

My H's band is tungsten, so ours don't match.  A simple narrow band would have looked really funny on his hand. 

• Options
    my e-ring is "white" gold.  My wedding band is also "white" gold (I wear it on  my right hand).    My grandmother's wedding band, which I wear on my left hand, is platinum. 

I do not like yellow or rose gold for myself.  Just NMS.   I like mixing metals on other people though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I have mixed metals that I think look great together. They both have diamonds that are prong set so this ties the look together, although a total mix/match would look fine as well. I totally like the mix look and am glad it's in now.
  • Options
    Yeah my FI wants a plain band and we don't care about having them match.  I just don't know if the rose gold would look weird with the platinum.  My friend has a yellow gold with yellow diamonds one that's really cool and different and while it's not my taste, I like the idea of doing something a little different!

• Options
    My engagement band and wedding band (FI ordered a set for me) are both white gold. His band is rose gold with dark rhodium plating at the edges.
  • Options
    We just picked our's out a couple weeks ago, but we still don't get to wear them for a few more months! My e-ring is white gold with a several small diamonds down the sides. There was no matching band, so I found a white gold band with similar sized diamonds. The curve of the band almost perfectly matches the curve from the main diamond in my e-ring, so it's a nice "shadow" band. I think mixing metals would look great. Especially if you do it a lot anyway. It's nice to have time to think about it!
  • Options
    My e-ring and wedding band are matching white gold diamond bands. I really like the matching look, but I've also seen a people who mix the rose gold, and I like that too. I would just go try some on and see how you like the mismatched look.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    If you're into mixed metals, why not? I love unconventional wedding sets and I love it when people do something more personal than picking a set out of the case at a chain store (not that there's anything wrong with that either...but I think it's more interesting not to.)

I have an aquamarine and silver ring from Etsy for my engagement ring and I'm going to get something else in silver for my wedding band, but my ring is already nontraditional with the coloured stone. I pretty much only wear silver, though, and it's the only metal that I haven't ever had react on my skin, so I never really considered something else (don't like platinum, don't want to have to redip white gold and the alloys sometimes irritate me anyway.)

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get something custom for my band though because I can't find anything I like that fits under my ring. I've already ordered and returned one. I'm kind of freaked out about it, actually, because I feel like I'm never going to find one given my unique ring, desire for silver, and my hangups about ethically mined metals.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H got mine in a set, so they match perfectly.
  • Options
    See here's the thing, I virtually never wear rose gold (but daily I wear a yellow gold watch, my engagement ring, my silver and blue crystal ring that my FI got me the day he proposed since he knew we would reset my family ring, random bracelets/necklaces) but I very much like rose gold so I"m considering it.  Glad to know people tend to do both matched and mixmatched!

• Options
    Mine are both white gold and I wanted something pretty simple so mine is just a plain band with a squared bottom to match me e-ring. FI also wanted white gold.

I like mixing metals and it would porbably look nice with your ring.

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    Yeah my FI wants a plain band and we don't care about having them match.  I just don't know if the rose gold would look weird with the platinum.  My friend has a yellow gold with yellow diamonds one that's really cool and different and while it's not my taste, I like the idea of doing something a little different!
    I don't think rose gold and platinum would look weird together at all. Lookit: 

Ooooh yeah I really like that!

• Options
    FI keeps asking me the same damn question of whether I'm going to still love it in 20 years, though, and that's what I can't answer. 

I'm pretty sure I would, though. 

• Options
    esstee33, I love your new sig pic!
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    FI keeps asking me the same damn question of whether I'm going to still love it in 20 years, though, and that's what I can't answer. 

I'm pretty sure I would, though. 

I also figure that if I don't like how they look together at some point, I can wear them on different hands

• Options
    I'm looking at white gold for ease of finding it. My e-ring is silver, and silver would be my first choice for my band, but I've yet to find just a silver band in any store - apparently silver is "not a band metal." -.-

We'll see.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Mine matches because H bought them as a set, but I like the look, especially in a stack:

I have a giant MK rose gold watch that I wear every day with my white gold set. Zero fucks given.

• Options
    My engagement ring is a classic three stone set in 3mm Platinum band.  My wedding ring is also very simple 3mm plain platinum.  DH works with his hands and cannot wear rings for safety sake so we opted for a Sterling Silver band as we didn't want to spend a fortune given how often he will be wearing it.

I like the look of mixed metals on other folks but personally prefer the look of white gold or platinum for my own use.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I just picked out mine today! My band matches the band of my e-ring almost exactly, because non-matching rings would drive me crazy. I think mixed metals would be really pretty, though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love a good nontraditional look with E-ring and wedding band!

My E-ring is white gold while my wedding band is Tungsten. We weren't sure they'd look great together at first - but the front face of my e-ring is all diamonds - so the metal difference isn't even apparent. Both rings are pretty wide and make for a very modern chunky look - I love it! 
  • Options
    My Ering is platinum and so is my band. However, I have a prong set eternity band and you don't even see much of the metal. No one would be able to tell if it was platinum or not!

• Options
    Both of my rings are platinum, but I often wear gold (yellow) rings on my hands as well.
  • Options
    I'm looking at white gold for ease of finding it. My e-ring is silver, and silver would be my first choice for my band, but I've yet to find just a silver band in any store - apparently silver is "not a band metal." -.-

We'll see.
    Let me know if you have any luck. I am losing my mind trying to find a silver band too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Get one of each! You can either stack or change depending on what you feel like.

I also want to get a mokume band as a wear alone band (w/o e-ring).

• Options
    amelisha said:

We'll see.
    Let me know if you have any luck. I am losing my mind trying to find a silver band too.
    Have you ladies looked on etsy? There are a ton of custom rings there, and I know I've seen silver listed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards