Not Engaged Yet

I Hate Applying for Jobs!

I'm still waiting to hear back from HR about whether or not I'll still be able to work at the college I'm at come January. But I don't have high hopes for this working out in my favor and honestly I don't know if I really want to work there anymore. I hate my students this semester (and I've never hated an entire class, sure I've had a student or two I don't care for but I dread going into class this semester), my pay is crap, and clearly I don't have very much job security. Basically, if another job comes along I'd be thrilled to take it, even if things work out at my current job.

On top of all of that I feel like I should try out something other than teaching. I love teaching (minus my experience this semester) but to really make it work as a career I would need to get a PhD but I don't know if I want that. If I could find something I enjoy doing without doing a PhD that would be ideal.

However, finding a new job means going through the job search process again. I hate job hunting! I find jobs that I know I'd be great at and am absolutely qualified for but I don't think I do a very good job of conveying that in my resume/cover letter. For example, I saw a posting for  great sounding job at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. I would love to get this job and I'm absolutely qualified for it but I suck at showing how my teaching experience relates to other positions. I've been trying to write a cover letter for it for over an hour and right now it sucks.

There's really no point to this except to vent. 

Re: I Hate Applying for Jobs!

ALL THE HUGS, lady. I'm sorry you're going through this.

The only reason I'm staying in this PhD program is because I want to teach at the college level. If I were up for high school biology, I would be out of here SO damn quickly.

If you want help with cover letters, PM me and I'll try to help! But I also understand if you're just venting and not looking for anything more. <3<3<3
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @Phira - I definitely feel like the only reason I'd be doing a PhD program would be so I could teach at the college level. I don't know if that's enough to get me through all the stress I know it will cause! 

My cover letter is a mess right now but I might take you up on that offer once it's actually something worth showing anyone! My cover letter for applying for teaching positions is awesome but I'm pretty much starting from scratch for other positions.

• I'm so sorry you've had a crappy teaching experience this semester...and I'm doubly sorry that the college is treating you like crap.  Are you on as an adjunct, or are you actually full-time faculty?  The "having no job security" thing sucks.  I'm giving you ALL the good vibes.

I'm with @Phira - the only reason I'm even in a PhD program is because I want to teach at the college level.  And sometimes, it's the worst thing in the world.

Vent all you want.  We're here to commiserate/offer advice/listen/yell...whatever.  And I'll read your cover letters too if you want!
  • @futuremrshistorian - I'm just on as an adjunct. The college actually only has 2 full-time faculty members. Everyone else is adjunct.

I'm still playing with the idea of doing a PhD but I think it would be good to give something else a try before putting myself through that! And adjunct teaching at a bunch of different schools trying to make ends meet until I do get a PhD doesn't sound appealing. Plus, BF is applying for PhD programs and will hopefully start next fall. I can't even imagine the stress of us both trying for our PhDs at the same time!

• @Bethsmiles - I feel you.  I've been doing the whole adjunct and trying to make ends meet since 2009.  I have a TA in my PhD program at the moment (and I'll finish in May, thank God), which helps quite a bit, but it's been adjunct teaching that's paid my bills...even if I had to teach 6 classes one semester (last Spring...aka Hell Semester).  I think the worst part about being an adjunct is the complete and total lack of job security.  It's really an inhumane form of labor, if you think about it.  I don't know where you are or what your take is on this, but there are a lot of adjunct unions cropping up all over the country right now...it's something I would consider if I didn't live in a strictly-no-union state.

Mr. Historian already had his PhD by the time we met, so I can't weigh in on what it would be like to have 2 people in a relationship going for it at the same time.  I've known couples who made it work, and I've known couples who didn't.  I can say that his support has been absolutely invaluable.  Every time I want to give up on the dissertation, he pushes me one or two pages further.
  • As long as your resume is interesting enough to get you through the door, that's all you need.  For the most part, employers don't think you're going to have EVERY skill their searching for, the job postings are made up of their 'wish list' that they want.  In my whole professional career, most of the positions have hired for a 'good fit' in personality over qualifications - sure you have to have some kind of basics on the qualifications front. 

Don't be afraid to apply for stuff, even if you don't think they'll give you a call back!  I know my current company has received resumes that hasn't been right for our department but they still feel that the person is a good fit for a different position and they've been known to call the candidate and say 'we know you applied for position X but would you consider position Y instead'.

You know we're here for you through the whole process!!

Anniversary
  • Hugs, Beth. I hate the job hunt, too. I'd be willing to read your cover letter or resume if you're interested.
  • @mrsfuturemrshistorian - The lack of job security is absolutely the worst part! There's a couple of adjuncts I share an office with who are really active in a union for adjuncts and trying to make a change in how things work. I think it's an issue that really gets ignored by anyone who isn't a part of it.

@Dignity100 - Thanks. I keep trying to tell myself that! I just need to put myself out there as much as possible!

@KeptInStitches - Thanks :)

• @bethsmiles - Oh man I feel your pain! I mean, we're nowhere near the same field, but I totally understand when you're coming from. I absolutely HATE job searching. So much so, that I stayed with my previous company for TEN YEARS. It was awful too. But I hated job searching more.

Right now I'm debating going back to work for a large company. I'm just trying to weigh the cost vs benefit of working from home which I do now. Giving that up after 2 years would totally suck, but having a job with growth potential and benefits might just outweigh the negatives. I'm here to commiserate if you need someone!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Job hunting and grad school suck the soul right out of you, and you're doing both! *hugs* I'm so sorry your current employer is being such a butt, but I agree that it's probably better to leave ASAP given how they're treating you. I really hope you're able to find something soon! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • UGH. Adjuncting.

I avoided that. I took a job at a company (anyone remember my freakout post?)

I feel guilty that I'm not teaching. I loved teaching. I got my MFA because I wanted to teach at colleges. And I feel guilty that I'm not making art work anymore, and adding to my resume... which would enable me to get more college teaching jobs. I'm just too exhausted when I come home. When I'm not busy at work is when I feel the most angst about not doing what I set out to do.

But I have a semblance of job security... and some benefits... and I'm getting paid probably double what I would make as an adjunct. And I'd probably have to adjunct for at least 5-10 years before getting tenure. I like stability. A lot. And I don't think I would have been able to move for a tenure track position-- very few come up that are nearby, and FI is in school, and will eventually have a job, probably a state government type deal, or non profit having to do with state government. It's like my goal to teach college is kind of doomed since I'm in a relationship (which I would NOT trade).

So, positives and negatives. Anyway, hugs hugs hugs... it does totally suck. A lot.
  • @lilacck28 - It's so interesting that you bring up the idea that your hope to teach college is doomed because you're in a relationship.  I'm feeling the same way these days, because wherever Mr. Historian gets a job is where I'm going...my love of teaching college be damned.  There isn't a whole lot open in my field this year anyway, but I would give it all up in a second if it meant we got to be together (in the actual physical sense).
  • @lilacck28 & @futuremrshistorian - I feel the same way about the relationship deal. BF's field will be a lot more specific than mine. We will end up prioritizing his ability to find a job over mine when choosing where to settle down. I'd rather be with him than have a tenure teaching position. Leaving teaching will give me a lot more flexibility work-wise and make it easier to move if that's where BF's goals end taking us.

• @bethsmiles & @lilacck28 - I just want you both to know that it's really nice to hear you both talk about your relationships like this. I've come out of a program where finding a tenure-track job is the #1 priority, and...nobody understands that I would willingly sacrifice tenure to be with Mr. H.  It's just nice to know there are people who feel the same way.  :-)
  • You ladies have made me feel so much better. The guilt is intense sometimes. My program was similar, Mrs.FutureHistorian. The fact that I have a full time job, and barely any time to make work, is definitely looked down upon. In their estimation, I should have just struggled for a while and made art work and tried to get shows.

FI feels bad that I've sort of changed my course because of him, and I know my dad is concerned about it. He was thrilled with me "following my passions" and getting an MFA and potentially teaching, and he doesn't liek that I've fallen into the same path that he did (taking a job for practical reason, rather than because you love it.) He became a dentist because he thought it would be financially lucrative. It wasn't, and he was not happy.

But I hope I have convinced them that I'm very happy with FI and I do NOT want to live apart from him... and in fact, I think I'd be more unhealthy, more unhappy, less satisfied with my life without FI than without teaching. So, again, trade off. I suppose I COULD be an adjunct for the rest of my life and stay in CT with fiance... but... FI likely isn't going to get a high paying job, so that just wouldn't be financially stable enough. I think I'd like to have kids at some point... and buy a house. I feel kind of ridiculous that I got an MFA and am not using it... and will be paying back loans for a long time. Though my boss seemed to like that I had it. It probably did help me get this job...
    @bethsmiles & @lilacck28 - I just want you both to know that it's really nice to hear you both talk about your relationships like this. I've come out of a program where finding a tenure-track job is the #1 priority, and...nobody understands that I would willingly sacrifice tenure to be with Mr. H.  It's just nice to know there are people who feel the same way.  :-)

@lilacck28 & @futuremrshistorian - I feel the same way about the relationship deal. BF's field will be a lot more specific than mine. We will end up prioritizing his ability to find a job over mine when choosing where to settle down. I'd rather be with him than have a tenure teaching position. Leaving teaching will give me a lot more flexibility work-wise and make it easier to move if that's where BF's goals end taking us.

• @lilacck28 - And you can always go back into teaching later. I know most of my professors came back to teaching after doing other stuff for a long time.  And if taking a job for practical reasons means you get more joy and fulfillment in other areas of your life then you shouldn't feel any guilt about your decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards