Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Where did he pop the question? Who did you tell?

2»

Re: Where did he pop the question? Who did you tell?

• Options
    He took me on a romantic sail boat ride under the moonlight and at the farthest point he popped the question, worried about dropping the ring. ADORABLE and I loved it!

• Options
    In my best friend's front yard, at midnight on New Year's Eve, as we were watching her neighbors set off fireworks. Cue the sobbing.

We immediately called my parents, then his parents, then his sisters, then my sister (after my BFF convinced me that she'd never forgive me if I didn't wake her from her flu-induced sleep for that). Then we each texted a few very close friends. Then FI posted on Facebook, telling me that now it was official. THEN, in the morning, we called his maternal grandmother (his paternal grandmother wasn't home and doesn't pick up her cellphone and would be seeing us later that day), his very close aunt, and my godmother. I think that covers it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• Options
    We were in the middle of a stressful renovation and he took me out to our favorite Italian restaurant where we had had our first date.  He had planned to walk me to a cool corner of the French Quarter but I was cold and in heels so I asked if we could take a cab back to the car.  He figured we would walk a few blocks before hailing the cab but I once again ruined it and asked the restaurant to call us a cab.  As the cab was pulling up to the car, he was about to ask me to go for one more drink but I launched myself out of the cab and started running to the car.  Running out of time and French Quarter real estate, he did it in the parking lot under a street lamp.  

Honestly, it couldn't have been more romantic.  It was 11:45pm Central Time & our families are on the East Coast so we called no one.  (At my parents age, if the phone rings around 1am they think someone died) so we waited until the next day.  TBH, it was nice to have a night to ourselves where we (and the bartender who sent us champagne) were the only ones who knew.  
  • Options
    We were in Maui with his brother and sis in law after spending about 7 months apart. We went to a luau and after dinner the lady working came up and told us they were doing family pictures and it was our turn. When we got up there they said him and I would go first, then the other two, then all together and she needed to go get the camera. His brother got his camera out and said he would just snap some of us, I felt him move away from me so I turned so see what he was doing and the spotlight hit us and he was down on one knee with the ring out. I didn't even see the ring, pretty sure my brain stopped working, it was amazing after 6 years I didn't see it coming at all! The next morning we called his parents and my parents, and I talked to my best friend (MOH) on our way up the mountain to see the sunrise.

@onefootinthebayou: I love your story, we are always in the middle of some kind of renovation and this sounds perfect :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Such a fun thread! I love reading everyone's stories! :)

My FI (SO FUN saying that!) had been planning us a vacation for MONTHS, and it was a surprise for me, so I didn't know where we were going until the NIGHT we left!!

He had me open a box of my favorite candy with our "trip itinerary" inside. We left on a Tuesday night (12/9/14) and drove 12 hours to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I am lighthouse fanatic so of course I was over the moon excited!

We started at the top (Corolla, NC), and made our way down the OBX to Ocracoke Island (seeing lots of lighthouses & other awesome things on the way). I had a feeling he was going to propose on the trip, and he waited until the LAST night we were there (12-13-14)! That whole morning we were just goofing around the island but he was INSISTING upon getting to the Ocracoke lighthouse at 3pm sharp. I honestly was clueless, I kept asking him "WHY do we have to be there AT THREE?!" But I finally quit asking & just went with it, lol.

We got to the lighthouse (at 3pm lol), and I saw him talking to this girl and I was like ???? Does he know this lady?! He then introduced me to Candace, she was our PHOTOGRAPHER! We always argue about taking pictures (he hates them, I love them, you get the idea), so I was ecstatic that he had set us up a photo shoot in front of a lighthouse (still clueless at this point). 

She & my FI had been planning this whole shindig for MONTHS. FI brought out his iPod & had an entire playlist for us to listen to & timed the proposal with a specific song (How Long Will I Love You - Jon Boden)

She took some cute pictures of us posing & a few candid shots, then she made her way down the little board walk to get a "better angle". FI mentioned talking to my dad (that was a big thing for me), then dropped to his knee & I was in shock saying "SERIOUSLY?! OMG REALLY?! REALLY? SERIOUSLY?!" about a hundred times. I had my hands covering my face because I was so surprised, so when he said "Will you marry me?", I of course said yes & he proceeded to say "Well then give me your hand!" and he put the ring on my finger and of course I was bawling. 

We took some more pictures on the beach near the lighthouse and then of course I called my parents. The first person I told beside my parents was my cousin (we are really close), and then my now Maid & Matron of honor. It was the best day of my life (so far!!)!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We were in Maui with his brother and sis in law after spending about 7 months apart. We went to a luau and after dinner the lady working came up and told us they were doing family pictures and it was our turn. When we got up there they said him and I would go first, then the other two, then all together and she needed to go get the camera. His brother got his camera out and said he would just snap some of us, I felt him move away from me so I turned so see what he was doing and the spotlight hit us and he was down on one knee with the ring out. I didn't even see the ring, pretty sure my brain stopped working, it was amazing after 6 years I didn't see it coming at all! The next morning we called his parents and my parents, and I talked to my best friend (MOH) on our way up the mountain to see the sunrise.

@onefootinthebayou: I love your story, we are always in the middle of some kind of renovation and this sounds perfect :)
    Thank you, back at you!  I remember the moment and how fast it seemed to go by!  Maui must have been incredibly romantic and it must have been so special after such a long absence.  You have one smooth fiance!  All the best to you both.  
  • Options

Thank you, back at you!  I remember the moment and how fast it seemed to go by!  Maui must have been incredibly romantic and it must have been so special after such a long absence.  You have one smooth fiance!  All the best to you both.  
    Apparently I do (that is not usually how he is) but I'm sure the beer on the golf course helped with that! All the best to you as well, happy wedding planning and renovations! I would like to hear more about those, we are currently digging into house #2!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Apparently I do (that is not usually how he is) but I'm sure the beer on the golf course helped with that! All the best to you as well, happy wedding planning and renovations! I would like to hear more about those, we are currently digging into house #2!
    I admire your resolve!  My FI has a couple of investment properties and he and his partner (both engineers) have been doing the bulk of the renos themselves.  When I came along, he and I decided to move into a 2 BR unit instead of his 1BR "bachelor pad".  Although all previous renovations have gone well, this one appears to be especially snake-bitten!  So many things have gone wrong along the way, the worst of which was a plumbing issue that arose (of course) the first week we had tenants in the other two units.  Turns out the previous tenant of our current unit used to do odd jobs for the previous owner.  One of which was to patch a hole in the driveway.  He started pouring concrete into the hole in the driveway and was puzzled when the hole just kept taking concrete and not plugging.  Instead of stopping, he poured concrete into that hole with wild abandon...and it turned out there was a hole in the sewage line below and he succeeded in filling about 20 feet of sewage line with concrete.  Moral of this story?  ALWAYS DO THE VIDEO INSPECTION OF THE PIPES before you buy another property :)  FI & his partner saved about $250 by not doing that, spent thousands to un-eff that pipe. 

Other than that, something new seems to happen every day.  Plugged in the stove, smelled gas. Lost a giant palm tree in the wind last night.  Cooked a very elegant dinner last night, ate it standing up and off of paper plates...on the upside, I did learn how to use a demo hammer and discovered 100 year old hardwood after layers of tile, linoleum, and some sort of sketchy, spongy stuff!

I hope your 2nd one goes better than ours, would certainly love to hear any tips you may have (even on how to keep sane when you feel like your home is so incomplete!) 
  • Options
    Long story, short:  Met Jillian, my fiance, in High School.  We have been together for 12+ years and during that time, we made a long distance relationship work while I attended Iona College in New York to play sports and gain my Bachelor's Degree.  The School, Iona College, and the whole experience of dating while I lived in New York played a huge part in Our Relationship.  I had an awesome opportunity to plan a proposal in Scotland on The Isle of Iona and a huge thanks to My Brother, Joee (ojo Creative), he put together the entire story of how it went down.  

Check it out here:  

I hope you all enjoy.
  • Options
    We are recently engaged (Dec. 23). We were at a friend's Holiday party that we have attended the past couple of years. It's a big party at his friend's house, he brings in snow for the kids, an outdoor movie screen, food trucks and Santa for the kids (another one of finance's buddy who is professional Santa). we are a blended family so we have 3 young kids, collectively. His friend is very generous and charitable and always tells us to invite people, bring more kids as Santa gives every child a present. So I had invited a couple other friends of mine and their kids to come to the party as well. In addition there were probably about 100+ other adults and 50 other kids there. 

We were all at the party, having great time and it was time for the kids to live up to see Santa. Santa got settled in his chair and said he wanted to give a few of the grownups gifts as well and he calls my (then) boyfriend up, who promptly goes and sits on his lap. These guys have been friends for 20 years and they are all very goofy and charismatic so I think nothing of it. Santa then tells my man to bring his family up as well. When we all get up there, Santa give my boyfriend a present, which he opens and says 'I don't think this is for me'. Before I knew it, Santa had taken my daughter from my arms, sat me down in his chair and my fiance was on one knee! 

It was all very magical and I love that it took place in front of many friends and people that care we care about and during my favorite time of year With social media as it is now, we just posted on Facebook and anyone who wasn't there found out that way. 
  • Options
    He proposed in Paris inside the Luxembourg Gardens at a wishing well!
  • Options
    My FI and I absolutely love Stitch from the Disney movie Lilo and Stitch. We both have our own Stitch stuffed animals. Two days after Thanksgiving, he picked me up from work. When I got home, I went into the room to change into comfy clothes, and on the bed he had both of our Stitch stuffed animals sitting up on the bed, with the new Stitch figure for the Disney Infinity video game. I was too busy being excited about our new Stitch, that I didn't see he had walked up behind me. He asked me if I liked it and I turned around to say yes, I loved it. Then he got down on one knee and asked me to join his "Ohana" (family. It's another Lilo and Stitch reference). It was dorky, but so perfectly us.

I called my parents, he called his,and then I called my grandmother (since she usually hears all of my news from other parts of my family that I am friends with on Facebook, I wanted to let her know early). I told my best friend, and then we put it up on social media, so the rest of our family members and friends could find out that way. 
  • Options
    He proposed just over a year of us being together. He did propose about a month into our relationship. I, of course, said yes, but we both agreed that wasn't a proper proposal (he did it kneeling next to the bed) so, we agreed he would do it properly at a later time. We started looking at rings together in September, and by November 29th, we were engaged! He got down on one knee in front of the Christmas tree! We had just put up the tree that day, and we had a Christmas function to go to that evening, so he impulsively decided he would propose as we were dressed up and going out. We purchased the ring together beforehand, so I knew it was coming, I just didn't know when. I texted my parents, my sister and my closest friends that evening, and we made it facebook official about 3 weeks after it happened. We figured everyone who mattered the most to us knew so it wasn't a big deal to post it on facebook right away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He surprised me at sunset, on the beach, outside our NC vacation house, in September. The sky was fantastically deep blue and orange and the waves were crashing like crazy!  He knelt down in the sand and asked me to marry him as he handed me a hand carved, wooden ring box he had made. He had secretly worked with a jeweler and his sisters to get a ring that was a combination of a few I had put on Pinterest.  I was speechless and teary, but he knew my answer was yes (I swear he teared up too)!  We held each other on the shore for a while and he scooped up sand from where we had been standing as a keepsake.  I had known he would ask me one day, but I was not expecting such a romantic moment!  The best part was that we had a whole week of vacation left to enjoy each other and to celebrate with family.  Since my family was already around (on vacation) we called his family and the others who were not there.  It was a very fun night!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love reading everyone's stories :)

Andre proposed in the parking lot of a pizza place. It was New Years Day and since the place was so busy, it was much faster if we went and picked it up as opposed to having it delivered. After we picked up the pizza and got back to the truck he said he had something to show and called for me too look. He had put the pizza box on the hood and opened it. On the lid of the box inside were the words "Will you marry me?". I thought he was kidding and said "Really?" and he replied "Yes really". I said "Yes!", then we quickly took the pizza and jumped back into the truck (because it was really windy, cold and snowy that day). I kissed him and we said "I love you". It was completely spur of the moment. Andre said he had only asked the pizza place employee to write the proposal in the box a few minutes before it was ready. We had talked about marriage and the future in a general sense but nothing set in stone so I was really surprised (and happy!)

We didn't tell anyone that day and we just enjoyed the day and spent it together. The next day we called our parents and siblings, and a few of our older relatives who don't use the internet or text Then we texted a few of our friends at work (we both work at a hospital) and from other places. A couple of days after that we posted on Facebook. We both have Facebook to keep up with family and friends, although we don't use it much. Word got around pretty quickly.
  • Options

I was in our kitchen making dinner when he asked me what the kitten was doing. I told him I didn't know, I was busy and for him to find her and look. He said he couldn't and asked me to check. I was annoyed (obviously because I had egg all over one hand and panko flakes all over the other) so I dropped the piece of chicken I was coating into the pan and washed my hands. I turn around the corner into the dining room and there she was. Our little Snickers walking in to me like a princess (she knew she had a job to do lol) with a silver glitter card around her neck. The ring was inside with a note that asked "Will you marry Daddy?" I burst into tears as he stopped peeking around the corner and came into the room. It was just a random time and we were both completely comfortable in pajamas. I always imagined the proposal going totally different but looking back at it, I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was absolutely perfect.

I called my parents to come over (we live like 5 minutes from them). They thought we were having trouble with our heater again so they didn't question why I needed them over at 8pm on a Sunday night. I called my brothers and sister in law and my grandmother. His mother knew it was happening but I insisted we call her and his dad anyway.

• Options

I was in our kitchen making dinner when he asked me what the kitten was doing. I told him I didn't know, I was busy and for him to find her and look. He said he couldn't and asked me to check. I was annoyed (obviously because I had egg all over one hand and panko flakes all over the other) so I dropped the piece of chicken I was coating into the pan and washed my hands. I turn around the corner into the dining room and there she was. Our little Snickers walking in to me like a princess (she knew she had a job to do lol) with a silver glitter card around her neck. The ring was inside with a note that asked "Will you marry Daddy?" I burst into tears as he stopped peeking around the corner and came into the room. It was just a random time and we were both completely comfortable in pajamas. I always imagined the proposal going totally different but looking back at it, I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was absolutely perfect.

I called my parents to come over (we live like 5 minutes from them). They thought we were having trouble with our heater again so they didn't question why I needed them over at 8pm on a Sunday night. I called my brothers and sister in law and my grandmother. His mother knew it was happening but I insisted we call her and his dad anyway.

• Options
    We were visiting Chicago for the weekend. I love to do non-planned small trips, so he asked on that Saturday morning if I wanted to go for sight seeing and spend the night there. I was not expecting it at all. So we went for a nice long walk first and then we decided to go up to the 'Willie's Tower' and while the sunset was happening he popped the question. I started crying while everyone was clapping.
    After calling my mom I called my sister, his parents my best friend. 
  • Options
    We were on a 2 week trip to Poland to visit his family, so I thought.. He surprised me with a week in Paris and proposed at sunset on the top of Eiffel Tower.. It was Amazing.. With time difference i contacted my Parents.. Had them contact close relatives, Then posted a pic on Facebook...
  • Options

@pamh584 That's so romantic!  It sounds like you've found a great guy!  

After my FI and I were engaged in North Carolina, I found out that it was originally supposed to happen in Paris as well.  We had been planning a trip there before he asked, but we ended up having the "money talk" and realized it was either Paris or a possible wedding one day.  Since our families weren't in a position to help with a wedding, we decided it was more beneficial to spend the Paris money on our future wedding.  In the end, his proposal was so beautiful, that I wouldn't change a thing.  I'm very glad to hear someone else got a romantic Paris proposal anyways!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We got engaged at Disney World in front of Cinderella's Castle!  It was so magical and perfect!  My fiance actually sent me on a scavenger hunt around the park while he went off to hide with family members that had flown in to also surprise me.  I had no idea they were there!  The last stop of my scavenger hunt was in front of the Castle.  My fiance came up to me and popped the question.  I said YES and then began spotting my family members in the crowd and completely lost it.  The best part is that I would've called my mom and dad first to let them know, but they were already there!  The whole was caught on video, so watch the story unfold HERE!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvU9Dm_4nY
  • Options
    We got engaged at Disneyland behind the castle (the castle was blocked off, so we were in fantasyland where you could see the castle behind us).  His family was there, I told my family (who already knew, he pretty much told everyone before me), then my friends and then that night we put it on facebook.  We were too excited to wait!
  • Options
    My now FI proposed this past Saturday morning, in bed. He knew he was going to propose either Friday night or Saturday morning but he couldn't find the right time Friday night. We actually went out to a really fancy restaurant on Friday night and I thought perhaps he would propose after dinner or something, which I told my friend and apparently she told him that I was expecting it so he was careful not to suggest a walk through Central Park after dinner, which he initially had planned to do, because he didn't have the ring on him.

So he got up extra early on Saturday because he couldn't sleep (actually not all that unusual for him), so he was out in the living room playing video games. At 8:40 he was losing patience with waiting and came in to wake me up. He sat on the bed and coaxed me awake. I am far from a morning person so I was still 3/4 asleep and I also didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see a damn thing. He held out a stuffed animal cow [Back story: Back in November I was bugging him about when he was going to propose so he finally go so fed up that he told me "forget it, I'm not buying you a ring, I'm going to buy your mother a cow and call you my own like the 1700s"]. He says to me "this is a gift for your mom, her name is Mary." I was so confused and disoriented and had no idea what he was talking about. I also couldn't see anything really. So then he pulls out the ring box from behind him and says to me "and this is for you..." and he opens the box in front of me. It took me a good second too long to realize what he was saying/doing and then I started panicking saying "OMG I can't see, OMG I can't see, where are my glasses?!?!" and I was fumbling around trying to find my glasses which I ended up knocking off the nightstand onto the floor. I finally got my glasses on and then he says "will you marry me" and I say YES and kiss him. And then he sort of didn't know what to do so I ended up grabbing the ring and put it on. 

In terms of who we called first....my mom was on vacation in Hawaii (5 hours behind us), so we had to wait until she woke up  to call. We did call his dad and sister (who both knew he was going to propose) and told them. We then tried to Facetime my mom at like 11:30 and she didn't answer, she called back at 12:15 but didn't understand how to do Facetime so we finally got it sorted out, and then I just held my hand up to the camera. She knew he had picked a ring (he sent her a picture of it from the jewelers back in December) but she didn't know when he was going to do it.

We told his sister when we talked to her though that she couldn't tell ANYONE because we still hadn't told my family, so she was all upset but we knew that if she told it would get out. After we spoke to my mom we called my grandma, sisters, and dad, and then the flood gates opened and we started calling friends and others who we wanted to let know.  It wasn't until about 7pm that we put it up on Facebook.

The funny thing is we spend Saturday like an old married couple for the most part. We laid around in our pj's for most of the day and watched Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt on Netflix. We showered, did laundry, and ordered in sushi for dinner. The next day we had a sort of impromptu (most people already knew about it because they knew he was going to propose) little celebratory dinner with his dad, sister, their SOs, and a few close friends, at the place we actually had our first date. We then went for a walk in the park and discussed wedding stuff a little (for the first time we were discussing it for REAL, not just hypothetically!!). It was a super low-key weekend, but it was perfect.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FI proposed near the top of Mt. Hood Meadows (ski resort) while we were snowboarding. We're both avid snowboarders, and we frequent the mountain as often as possible. On one trip, we went up one of our favorite lifts, and he told me to follow him because he wanted to take some photos.

I was sitting on the slope while he took pictures, and then he told me to get up. I assumed he meant I should get up so we could ride down the mountain, so I stood up facing uphill (away from him). He told me to turn around, at which point I got kind of annoyed because he was in my way and I wanted to get down the hill. But I turned around, and there he was on both knees (because, snowboard) with a ring in hand. He told me he loved me and wanted to snowboard with me for the rest of his life.

I said yes, obviously. We did one more run, went to the car and had a beer, and then decided we were too distracted to keep boarding so we went home. We called all parents first (FI's very religious conservative father asked why we were waiting over a year to get married), then went to my sister's to tell her in person. Then called the rest of the siblings and close friends.

We celebrated that night at a "dom-prov" show (dominatrixes doing improv, really hilarious). Good day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards