Pre-wedding Parties

Small bridal shower?

So last night FMIL called and asked about throwing a bridal shower for me. She said to think it over and get back to her - so I appreciate she isn't being pushy. The only reservation I have is that most of my family/friends are OOT (though they are invited to the wedding) so the shower guest list would be quite small - thinking less than 15 or so people (plus me). 

I haven't been to a bridal shower before so I'm not sure what all is "supposed" to happen or what they are like, but I'm just wondering if there's such a thing as a "too small" guest list. I was thinking of doing a hosted lunch at a restaurant in a private room and a gift opening. Yes? No? I know I can decline a shower but my FSIL has mentioned that FMIL really wants to do it, and I'm not opposed to it. Any thoughts? Help?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Small bridal shower?

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    tcnoble said:
    So last night FMIL called and asked about throwing a bridal shower for me. She said to think it over and get back to her - so I appreciate she isn't being pushy. The only reservation I have is that most of my family/friends are OOT (though they are invited to the wedding) so the shower guest list would be quite small - thinking less than 15 or so people (plus me). 

I haven't been to a bridal shower before so I'm not sure what all is "supposed" to happen or what they are like, but I'm just wondering if there's such a thing as a "too small" guest list. I was thinking of doing a hosted lunch at a restaurant in a private room and a gift opening. Yes? No? I know I can decline a shower but my FSIL has mentioned that FMIL really wants to do it, and I'm not opposed to it. Any thoughts? Help?
    This is exactly what my shower was like.  My sister/MOH and my BM threw it for me.  I gave them a guest list of about 18 and I think 15 showed.  We had a great lunch, had some drinks, cake and I opened gifts.  It was simple and laid back which is exactly what I wanted.

There isn't a minimum requirement when it comes to a shower guest list.  You invite who you are closets to and who you wish would come.  You can even invite OOT people that you truly want there because you never know they may be able to make it.

• Agree with Maggie. However, you don't really get to decide to have a hosted lunch at a restaurant. FMIL may want to throw a Sunday afternoon affair with coffee and tea sandwiches. That being said, 15 sounds like a good amount for a shower.
  • @misshart00 oh yeah I definitely have learned enough to know that I can't dictate what she plans, but should she ask for ideas I wanted to make sure that idea was appropriate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    @misshart00 oh yeah I definitely have learned enough to know that I can't dictate what she plans, but should she ask for ideas I wanted to make sure that idea was appropriate.

I figured you had been around long enough to know that. ;) Enjoy your shower!
  • I had 12 women at my shower. It was in a small private room at a winery. We ate, drank, and I opened presents. We sat around and chatted and it was perfect. I enjoyed being able to spend time with everyone and talk to them. 
  • I think smaller is better. I had about 15 people come to mine. One of my bridesmaids hosted it on the patio of a cool local restaurant. We had sangria, family style food, and cupcakes. I was able to talk to everyone, and it felt much more relaxed and intimate than larger showers I've been too.
  • I had 15 people at mine. It was amazing. We went to a little French Bistro and did a High Tea. We enjoyed tea sandwiches, desserts, conversation, and of course tea. We didn't play games or anything (I'm not into those things anyway). Everyone had a good time. 
  • No problem at all! I actually had two showers, but the one that my BM threw for my friends and family only had about 10 people. Honestly it was way more fun than the one I had with 45 people:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards