Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

are there etiquette rules for sending out invites?

JaniV123JaniV123 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited December 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
this might be a silly question but, do I have to mail all of the invites, or can I just mail the ones going to the states and hand out the rest? 

Should I hand them out myself or may I give them our to the heads of the families (several people have asked me to do this)? 

Anything else I should know regarding sending out invites?

ETA: Spelling

Re: are there etiquette rules for sending out invites?

• Options
    There may be rules on this, but I consider handing out invites a victim-less crime.

We hand delivered a decent portion of our invites- to close friends and family. I had lots of family members and friends tell us "just bring the invite when you see us next". Likewise, I had family and friends hand-deliver their RSVP. 
  • Options
    I would mail them. If I were handed an invitation it would get shoved in my pocket and forgotten. I also wouldn't just hand them to the heads of families. What if you hand Jame's (who is at college) to his father Joe and Joe forgets to give it to him?
  • Options
    I too consider handing them out a victim less crime but please make sure it is done privately or certainly not in the company of those whom are not invited.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    Well back in the day they were hand delivered so I do not have a problem them being delivered that way.  Just do it in private and not in front of a bunch of people who are not invited.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks! This is definitely something to consider. I wouldnt do that anyways, I think its rude to do it in front of people who are not invited. 

• Options
    How do you get those little countdown images on your signature?

Bride to Be,

Jenn

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     @jenndougan message @KnotPorsha on the tech board

• Options
    JaniV123 said:
     @jenndougan message @KnotPorsha on the tech board
    Knotporsha is no longer a mod, it's @knotRiley

• Options
    KnotRileyKnotRiley admin
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    @jenndougan Your siggy should be updated now!
  • Options
    JaniV123 said:
    this might be a silly question but, do I have to mail all of the invites, or can I just mail the ones going to the states and hand out the rest? 

Should I hand them out myself or may I give them our to the heads of the families (several people have asked me to do this)? 

Anything else I shoudl know regarding sending out invites?
    I plan on hand delivering the ones in my area, but mailing the ones to Germany and out of province.

Side note: You used the wrong "there/their/they're" and it's really bothering me haha
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm hand-delivering only the ones that I can deliver personally myself, without making an awkward situation.

So when I visit my grandparents, they get a hand-delivered one.My friend who lives with other friends that aren't invited, nope. Theirs gets mailed.

This is definitely a Know Your Guests situation, though. Most of my family would be delighted to get something in person (I was invited this way to a couple weddings and loved it, partially because my mail tends to get lost or stolen) and they get a hug and a visit out of the delivery! 

If you're having a formal wedding, I'd bite the bullet and buy the postage.
  • Options
    JaniV123 said:

Anything else I shoudl know regarding sending out invites?
    I plan on hand delivering the ones in my area, but mailing the ones to Germany and out of province.

Side note: You used the wrong "there/their/they're" and it's really bothering me haha
    thanks and OMG sorry!! I fixed it. This post was written very late at night after a week of sleep depravation and anatomy exams, soooo sorry. 

thanks for the advice though, that is what I thought, mailing the once going to the states and hand deliver the local ones

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards