Oregon

Venues

My fiance and I will be visiting the Portland/Salem area next week (we live in NY but his family lives in Salem).  So I'm trying to narrow down our list of venues to visit given our time constraints.  Has anyone had any experiences with any of the following venues?

Avalon Hotel (Portland)
Cedarville Park (Gresham)
Country View Events (Sherwood)
Hornings Hideout (N. Plains)
McMenamins Cornelius Roadhouse Imbrie Meadow (Hillsboro)
Mission Mill Museum (Salem)

Thank you.

Re: Venues

• DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What would you like to know?  I've been to events at CPR and Mission Mill.  If you're interested in CPR you should check out the other McMenamin's properties as well.  All of them have a food and drink minimum, but if you meet that (it's not hard to do generally) you get the tables, chairs, set up, clean up, etc. as part of the deal.  If you don't meet the food and drink minimum, then you just pay the minimum anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    DramaGreek, how were the service and facilities at both CPR and Mission Mill?
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the mission mill. You have to do the food and clean up yourself unless you hire someone
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CPR was great.  I wasn't in charge of either event, just a guest, but the food was good - what I expect of McMenamin's - and it was a beautiful venue.  The workers were friendly and dressed appropriately.

Mission Mill was also good, but as Kendall said it's just a space.  I never saw any of the people who worked there and since they don't provide the food, a review of the catering wouldn't help.

For ease of planning an out of town wedding, it might be easier for you to go with someplace like CPR so that it's all in one place, there's a coordinator there to help you, etc.  If you like CPR you should also check out Edgefield (in Troutdale), Kennedy School (Portland) and Grand Lodge (Forest Grove).

Have you contacted them yet for info?  you can fill out an online form on their website (www.mcmenamins.com - click on "Event planning" and then choose the venue you're interested in) and they'll get back to you with pricing, availability, etc. so it's all done by email.  That way you can decide before you come here if you want to spend time looking at it.  Note that you will have to fill out a form for each location you're interested in.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you both for your feedback.  @DramaGreek, I will certainly review McMenamin's other sites online.  I have contacted them about the Edgefield and CPR sites but only CPR was available for the weekend we wanted.

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I have (lightly) assisted in planning and attended a Christmas part at the Mission Mill a few years ago.  We had use of the Dye House which is pretty small but I assume you will be using the Spinning Room. From what I remember the organizer at the MM was very nice to work with and everything went smoothly. It is a popular location so if that is what you select put down a deposit ASAP.  The grounds are gorgeous with ample parking available and easy access from I-5. They do have a preferred caterer list but it has quite a few options (dozen-ish). The only possible downfall is that it is right next to the train tracks so it might get a bit noisy if a train goes by.

We looked at several McMenamis properties when were were scouting locations.  The locations you will be looking at have 5k food and beverage minimums which is not bad considering they will provide tables, chairs, basic linens, other items I am forgetting and a pretty great meal. I have always had great food experiences with the exception of 1 time when I ordered something I was unsure of if I would like it or not. Turns out I did not but I was not surprised and all fault was on me, lol. All of the properties are wonderful in their own quirky ways.

If you have some spare time I highly recommend going to McMenamins Hotel Oregon in McMinnville to have lunch or dinner on the rooftop bar.  The view is amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking at McMenamin's (and don't care about being close-in to Portland), consider the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove as well.  Lots of event spaces to choose from, and hotel space for your out of town guests.  

But I'm partial to CPR since that's where we got married :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards