Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Formality

Over on the etiquette boards it's been mentioned several times that Ecru invitations with engraved black calligraphy (along with a certain venue type and an evening wedding) signal to guests that it's a formal event.

So, I was curious: what do people perceive the formality to be when an invitation is very nice, but not traditional? For instance, for our wedding, the invitation is on thick black sort of rubberized matte paper (hard to describe) and the words are in gold calligraphy. This invitation fits into a very thick black frame, forming a sort of box and the invite is the lid. There's a gold ribbon to pull it out and underneath are the various inserts and the "bottom" of this box is gold foil paper with "dinner and dancing to follow" printed on it. So it's all very elaborate and nice, but not remotely traditional--does that make it seem significantly less formal?

Another example is that for my boss's 40th birthday, the invitations were pieces of wood that were branded with all the text for the invite--this was put in a 8.5x11" glass box on top of a layer of moss. It was very beautiful, but again...not traditional.

I'm not stressed out guests getting any specific message, but am just curious about the vibe invites like this give off.

Re: Invitation Formality

• Options
    Well, I think that invitations that are not engraved or printed on heavy cardstock, with "cute" fonts or graphics and nontraditional wording do give off a vibe of informality.

If I saw a traditionally-worded invitation engraved in Spencerian script in black or dark gray ink on a heavy white card, I will think "formal."
  • Options
    To me, your invitation would seem to be more semi-formal than formal.  I think you mean "script".  Calligraphy is simply beautiful handwriting, which used to be taught in our public schools.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

For me, I would think your elaborate invitation indicates that you're have a fancy, schmancy, but not black tie, party. My husband would wear his dark three piece suit with colored shirt and tie. I would wear a cocktail dress with evening bag and shoes and my sparkly jewelry. If you are a close family member, I might even indulge in a new floor length (but not elaborate ball) gown. But I like an excuse to dress up. Short answer - cocktail or fancier. I would expect to see out of the ordinary hors doeuvres at your cocktail hour, nice, probably colorful table settings and elaborate wedding cake or dessert.

Your bosses party would say non-formal, sport coat and slacks for husband. Dressy pants, skirt and dressy top or simple cocktail dress, depending on the location and weather.

• Options
    if I received the type of invite you described, I'd assume it's on the more formal side. Not black tie, but still formal. Which based on the other thread, seems like a good match.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    TK is glitch for me today. I deleted my almost duplicate post because original showed up in snail mail.

• Options
    I would think more formal wedding
  • Options
    I agree, it would be a more formal wedding (I would wear an evening cocktail dress and Fi a dark suit and tie), but not black tie. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards