Oregon
Options

Portland Parks

Has anyone held a wedding/reception in one the the parks? My "small" wedding of family and friends that we really spend time with is about 200 people! Our budget is not 200 people's worth but we truly want them there. I've found a couple of parks that work with the amount of tables, space and electricity but the brochure goes around in circles and I wanted "real" advice before I call them. We want food, beer, dancing and fun. With the amount of permits, is it going to be less expensive in the long run?

Re: Portland Parks

• Options
    I thought about Cresap Bay camp ground for you.  There is a group camp that can be reserved  and it is nice (I haven't been there in about 5 years.)  There are 15 camp sites surrounding an area with grass and a shelter. There is a barbecue, sink and electricity in the shelter.  The bathrooms have stainless steel stalls.

I don't know if they will allow alcohol.  

I've also wondered about m-j ranch on the columbia river east of Washougal.  They rent out for the day at $700.     Here is there link http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/evs/3109291768.html
  • Options
    Which two parks are you looking at?  I might be able to help more if I know what you're looking at and how much you think you'll have to spend.  Parks are governed by various bodies, so there are different rules for different parks.
  • Options
    I was looking at Pier and Columbia parks as they both have at least 1 covered area and enough tables to seat us. My main wondering was do I need an olcc permit, a porta potty, special use etc. Wedding sites seem to be different than "picinic" sites, dumb question but does that mean I can't get married there or is it just that it's not wedding typical? There was a great suggestion about using craigslist to search and a campground but then we'd be too separated.
  • Options
    You can have your wedding in a picnic site, no problem.

From the Portland Parks and Rec Picnic brochure

It is unlawful to possess or consume alcohol in 
    any Portland Park without a permit. Only BYOB 
    (Bring Your Own Beverage) canned or bottled 
    beer and wine are allowed with a picnic permit. 
    The sale, serving, or providing of alcoholic 
    beverages requires a Special Use Permit, proof 
    of insurance*, and in some cases approval by the 
    Oregon Liquor Control Commission.  
          *The insured must also be the park permit holder

Looks like you'll need to call to verify the alcohol thing, but the way I read it is as long as it's not being sold or served and is truly BYOB, you're ok with the picnic permit.  You are not allowed to have kegs though - cans/bottles only.  I think if you had tubs or coolers of beer and people were serving themselves, you're fine.

Honestly, when working with the parks and recs of various cities, I've found it best to call and ask my questions.  I actually managed to get a break on a rate once just because I called and asked!
  • Options
    I am having my wedding in a picnic site next weekend - the difference is that the "wedding sites" are mostly gazebos in really pretty parks that they know they can charge more for. They are gorgeous! 

The "picnic sites" are basically where the picnic tables are. There are a number of "picnic sites" in my park, and we have one of them reserved all day (even though we're just doing the ceremony there). It was a couple hundred bucks and in a gorgeous park.

Park weddings seem to be more low key than what you're looking for. Even if you get the alcohol permit there might be noise (amplified sound) restrictions. We decided to enjoy the outdoors for the ceremony, then head in to a seperate reception venue for the dancing and fun. Good luck!
  • Options
    I prepared to be on hold all morning and called portland parks -only on hold for 10 minutes! I talked to a very helpful man and we came up with... 2 adjacent picinc sites with enough tables for everyone and everything plus electricity. Renting a small cottagewith kitchen for "staging" and extra bathrooms. I don't need an alchol permit if I'm serving bottled beer or champagne for toasts. Noise permit was iffy, he thinks I may not need it but I'll check. Total cost is around $600 for ceremony and reception site.  Who knows, we may have found it!
    I probably sound high maintenance but that's the planning side talking, once I can "see"i it, I'm calm. We are looking for casual but not 3 year old bday. I'd love to hear how pauldini's wedding goes, sounds great! Thank you all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards