Chit Chat

Tattoos

2»

Re: Tattoos

• @FiancB LOVE LOVE LOVE.  I love Franz Marc's stuff and that looks simply gorgeous on you!
    Anniversary

• Nope, I don't think they tend to age well. But if someone digs them, that's their thing.

If I made the Olympic team, was going to get the rings on my ankle. Really tiny though.

Hubby doesn't have any, either.
  • I'm really psyched to get one. Maybe just a Celtic cross. How much do they hurt?

Everyone will give you a different answer on this and sometimes artist skill can affect pain levels. Some people are just better at wielding the gun than others.
  • I'm really psyched to get one. Maybe just a Celtic cross. How much do they hurt?
    Everyone will give you a different answer on this and sometimes artist skill can affect pain levels. Some people are just better at wielding the gun than others.
    Another piece of this is the placement. Some areas of the body hurt more than others.

Most of mine felt like a burning cat scratch with varying amounts of pressure. Only one in particular was really painful, but a lot had to do with the experience of the artist and the placement on my body.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    I'm really psyched to get one. Maybe just a Celtic cross. How much do they hurt?
    Another piece of this is the placement. Some areas of the body hurt more than others.

Most of mine felt like a burning cat scratch with varying amounts of pressure. Only one in particular was really painful, but a lot had to do with the experience of the artist and the placement on my body.
    Mine is on my hip (which the artist ever-so-sensitively referred to as "nice and meaty") and it felt like scratches from a pencil. The worst part was the itching while it healed.

• I will have to say if I ever did get a tattoo it would be something like this. V and I's nicknames for each other is scooter. I'm not sure how that happened. Plus it makes me think of road trips which we love to do together. So I may pull the trigger one day. image
  • I have two currently, both booknerd things.

I have the mine-sign for The Guarding Dark (Terry Pratchett's Thud!) on my left shoulder. And I have a bird silhouette with "but sing their hearts out for us" on my right inner forearm. 

Plans for future tattoos include (but are not limited to):
    Something based on the poem "The Untold Want" by Walt Whitman
    [The untold want, by life and land ne’er granted, 
    Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.]

"Allons-y" in circular Gallifreyan

More birds, because I am an ornithophobe with a weird sense of humour.

Sadly, I think it'll all have to wait until we move (which may be another 5-10 years) because we live in a very conservative town and I'm having trouble finding work.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • mrscomposermrscomposer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014

- flock of birds on my right shoulder, for each member of my family
    - 'this amazing day' on my left wrist (favourite poem is 'I thank you God for most this amazing day' by e.e. cummings)
    - Celtic cross on my back
    - dragonfly/treble clef on my left leg
    - training dates and my badge number on my left leg, to look like a math equation
    - my maiden name as an ambigram on my left calf
    - a rose, shamrock, and thistle on my left calf for my dad's heritage, as well as the traditional family motto in Latin (Vive Deo et Vives - live for God and you shall have life)
    - a wild rose and a crocus on my left foot, for the two provinces I've lived in
    - a tree and some script on my right calf, around the surgery scar I got from breaking my ankle
    - some script and cherry blossoms on my right foot

Next up?  My mom's heritage to match my dad's... my new last name as an ambigram on my other leg... birds for the new husbands, as mentioned... 'I am yours and you are mine' in Hebrew... so many options!

ETA: the flowers on my left foot are actually a cover up of some Chinese characters I had back in college.  I covered them up because I'm not, y'know, Chinese.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I have 3 - a dolphin on my hip (I would love to get it re-done someday), the Beast from the Beauty and the Beast logo for the Broadway play on my shoulder, and a dragonfly on my foot.  I don't know that I will get any more.  

• edited December 2014
    I have a tattoo on my back of one of the changing portraits from the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney World and Disneyland: http://davelandweb.com/blog/medussa.gif. It's a locket with one side as the girl, and the other side as the Medusa. Disney parks are a huge part of my life and I was always afraid to go on the Haunted Mansion as a kid, then of course when I finally went on I loved it.

I also have one on my right calf of a Swiss Army knife. My grad school class adopted it as our symbol so I got it right before graduation as a way to remind myself of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just have my one pisces symbol on my shoulder blade. I want more, but I am afraid I won't love them as much as I love the one I have.

on the other subject, mine was out in full force on my wedding day, as were my MoH's and BM's 

Anniversary
  • I have blue doves on my back, a pooh bear on my arm, and a daisy on my wrist.
    The daisy was a mother's day present. Mom, Granny, and I have them. :)
    My next one is the castle from Howl's Moving Castle but I'm broke.
  • I had a tattoo appointment in April that I had to cancel because of unexpected bills. When I get a job, my second paycheck is going to my tattoo.

It's going to be a gold and a red koi, swimming in a circle around a cherry blossom.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • edited December 2014
    I can't add to the conversation very much because I'm currently tattoo-less. But, many of the ladies have spoken about literary tattoos and that's what I've always wanted, but have been too afraid to get.

A quote from David Westerfeld's book "Uglies,": "What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."
    Clive Barker, from The Abarat: "Believe me, when I say; There are two powers That command the soul. One is God, The other, is the Tide."
    And of course Langston Hughes's "April Rain Song." 

ETA: I've been drinking Two Buck Chuck for a while tonight so if I'm not actually contributing to the convo feel free to ignore my hipster ravings.
    Anniversary
  • I don't have any tattoos and will probably never get one but if I do it will run along the middle of my back, vertically and it's something that Gandalf says: "Not all those who wander get lost."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have one.  And I hate it and can't wait to get it removed (thank goodness it's very small and all black--should be easier!)

I will say too that if your skin is sensitive, tattoos might not be for you.  On my body, any time my skin gets too dry or irritated, my scars get super itchy and swollen.  This includes the tattoo (that's on my lower back so constantly rubbed by waistbands). 

• I'm boring and have no tattoos. I've considered it many times but I can't come up with anything I want permanently on my body.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited December 2014
    Is it weird that I'm thinking if we give our kids the same initials as us, I can get our monogram without worrying about the curse of tattooing your spouse's name? :-p We're J and L, and the girl's name I like is J anyway.
    I don't have any tattoos and will probably never get one but if I do it will run along the middle of my back, vertically and it's something that Gandalf says: "Not all those who wander get lost."
    Isn't it ARE lost, not GET lost?

• I don't have any tattoos and will probably never get one but if I do it will run along the middle of my back, vertically and it's something that Gandalf says: "Not all those who wander get lost."

@lolo883 is right, it should be are lost, not get lost.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have 3, well kind of two since the third wound up being more or less added to the second.

1) right hip bone I have a butterfly with the kanji for happiness as the caterpillar. I got it te end of my senior year and the tattoo artist insisted the kanji I requested was wrong and tried getting me to change it to what he drew. I took Japanese for 3 years and insisted I was right. Sure enough went straight to my teacher the next morning showed her and it said what it was supposed to.

2) two tribal snakes forming a heart between my shoulder blades. My favorite uncle and I had a thing for snakes when I was younger so I wanted this one for him. I got lucky that it came out decent since it was the sketchiest tattoo I've ever gotten. My bf at the time had a friend over who apparently just got out of jail. I was drunk and happily let him tattoo with his home made tattoo gun.

3) is right below the snakes and works nicely with it. I wanted something for FI and FSS but refused to get names so I got the quote "Love isn't a decision. It's a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler, but much less magical." Yes, it was from South Park but it worked perfectly to sum up our little family.

When I got the third one FI got the James Bond 007 logo. We decided after the wedding I will get it small on the bac of my ring finger.
  • raissyraisraissyrais member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2014
    Is it weird that I'm thinking if we give our kids the same initials as us, I can get our monogram without worrying about the curse of tattooing your spouse's name? :-p We're J and L, and the girl's name I like is J any
    I don't have any tattoos and will probably never get one but if I do it will run along the middle of my back, vertically and it's something that Gandalf says: "Not all those who wander get lost."
    Isn't it ARE lost, not GET lost?
    Hmmm...probably hehe! And it does make more sense @kaitlynmichelle !!!

Edited: tag
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have 3 currently-- a celtic shamrock on my right hip, a gorgeous, super delicate magnolia on my left shoulder, and a tribal-y cat down my spine between my shoulder blades. 

I think FI is getting me my next tattoo for Christmas. "Intret amicitiae nomine tectus amor"-- It's latin, from Ovid's "The Art of Love". It translates (loosely) to "Let love steal in disguised as friendship".  Poor FI was stuck in the friend zone for a long ass time before I caught on to the fact that he was into me. :) 
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh ya know....I have one or two....
  • beethery said:
    @slothiegal apparently not! I've talked about it on TK before but maybe you missed it lol

I also want to get something with the lovers of Valdaro on one of my calves:

@beethery so fucking cool. I love skulls and shit.

I don't have any tattoos because I know I am fundamentally flakey and would no doubt regret anything I chose. A while back I was thinking it might be nice to do a stylized Ferdinand the Bull somewhere, because I studied in Spain and love it, and also I'm into peace (as was Ferdinand). I was getting kind of excited, and then I saw that Lena Dunham has a big scene from the book on her shoulder.

I don't have negative feelings about Lena, but holy shit when the most famous 20-something of our time has the tattoo you want, you know you're unoriginal.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I have currently have two and want so much more. First is a blue phoenix with silver flames and red hearts (made to look cartoonish) with Love in English and Korean on either side in the flames and the second is a purple and orange rose over crossed katanas with a banner with "forever" in korean
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards