Chit Chat

Would you rather be overdressed or underdressed?

I still don't know which situation makes me feel more awkward!

I was at a holiday party last night and was the only one in a cocktail dress + tights; everyone else was in jeans + nice top + nice jewelry. I felt so weird!

Then again I remember a while ago I was the only female in the group not in a dress when we were going out to the bar and I remember feeling equally out of place.

What about you guys- would you rather be over or underdressed?

Formerly martha1818

Re: Would you rather be overdressed or underdressed?

• I think I'd rather be overdressed, but I think both are equally uncomfortable!

We were overdressed for dinner after my cousin's wedding (it was a lunch wedding, and then my uncle had people over for dinner since most of us were from out of town). We just wore what we'd worn to the wedding, and everyone else had changed into casual clothing.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Overdressed. Normally people will side eye someone who is underdressed but I've yet to hear someone say "Look at her. Doesn't she know it's inappropriate to wear a nice dress to a barn raising?".
  • I would rather be overdressed. Some may just think you came from or are going on to something a little dressier. Or over estimated the classiness of this party. But underdressed I feel like an idiot with a spotlight on me.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

“It is always better to be slightly underdressed.”

― Coco Chanel

I was at a large party where a friend of mine insisted on wearing his tuxedo.  He was the only man in the room dressed in black tie, and people were laughing at him.  (I didn't join in.)  I know he felt very uncomfortable, and wished he had taken my advice.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ugh! This was me about 5 years ago. Not a cocktail dress but still a nice dress, tights, and boots and everyone else was in jeans. I felt so awkward. I actually decided to tell them I had just come from taking family photos- ha ha!
  • I will always want to be overdressed. I feel better/confident. I'm always "overdressed" to my peers but they were sweats and tee shirts. I'm still in undergrad but I always slightly roll my eyes when my peers use this excuse. I just wear jeans and blouses! So I'm more use to that feeling than underdress.

I would much rather be overdressed. I prefer to wear pretty dresses and cute shoes- It just makes me feel good. This also means I am usually far more dressed up than my friends who will be wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Even when going off to brunch or to a friends house I prefer to wear slightly dressier clothes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• AddieCake said:
    I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. Overdressed, I can claim I'm coming from or going somewhere else.
    This! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Definitely overdressed. You can often take off a piece of jewelry to tone the look down if you want, but it's hard to make casual look more dressy.

I was the only chick in a dress at my step sister's baby shower, when everyone else was in jeans and fleece. Whatever, I just owned it. No shame in looking classy. And it got me out of climbing onto chairs to hang streamers from the ceiling when I got there and they hadn't finished decorating yet!

• AddieCake said:
    I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. Overdressed, I can claim I'm coming from or going somewhere else.
    This plus my style is usually overdressed.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I'm perpetually overdressed to DH's family events. While I could start showing up to everything in jeans and a hoodie and be safe, I prefer dressing up a bit more.

When in doubt, I wear something simple and add great accessories. That way, I'm always safe.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited June 2015
  • Good points everyone! I think because everyone knew we didn't come from somewhere else I was thinking "hope they don't think I'm pathetic and took forever to get ready because they look so effortless"

Haha I don't know, small problem to have!

Formerly martha1818

• I'd rather be overdressed.
  • I think overdressed. My usual style tends to be dressy so I can just say 'it's just how I am!'
  • Overdressed. I agree both are awkward but I'm with Addie here - I can always say I'm coming from or going somewhere else if I really feel that uncomfortable.
    *********************************************************************************

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Overdressed! You can always let your hair down. Men can remove cumberbunds and bowties.

image   image   image

• Overdressed.  I'd rather be the one in a dress than the one in jeans.  And heck, I'd just own it.  Yeah, I'm overdressed.  Don't I look fabulous?

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Definitely overdressed.

When DH and I went to his 10 year reunion last year, we were told the dress code was "smart casual" for dinner. Most of my good clothes were in storage, because we hadn't anticipated a) being unable to find our own place and b) going to any fancy shindigs. So before we hit the road, we went shopping. I got a couple of nice tops and blouses so I could decide based on weather once we were there. In the end I wore a long black skirt, a black lace top, a grey cardigan, and ballet flats.

When we arrived at the venue, EVERY other female present was dressed like this:

I don't know about you, but to me that's less "smart casual" and more "casual casual".

DH was one of the few gents NOT wearing jeans and a t-shirt. We felt like royalty, though I do wish I had worn my (work) boots, and saved my feet from the icy temperatures.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Definitely overdressed as well. I would hate to feel like I'm dressed like a slob anywhere. Plus when you're dressed to kill, you feel much more confident!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Being underdressed makes me feel like I look like i don't care, and that's not the impression I like to give. I dress up. The only exception is for business stuff where I'm not sure if other women will have long gowns on - then I just wear a cocktail dress because guaranteed at least a few other women will be too, and i don't want to be the only one in an evening gown.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would rather be overdressed.

But then again I wouldn't wear a formal gown to a party unless the invite specifically stated "Black tie"

• I also say overdressed, but agree with others that there's a limit. I don't even own a gown, so a scenario of showing up to a picnic in couture would never happen to me. But being in a dress when others are in jeans just makes me feel spiffy. 

Then again, I have very little problem if people think I'm a bit snobby. Since I moved to The Big City from the smalltown Midwest, people back home tend to think I'm super "fancy" all the time anyway (I am not. Really, I am not. If it weren't for the e-ring I wouldn't even be accessorized most of the time) so it's a losing game on the "people will think I'm one-upping them" front. If they think that, it's on them. I will treat you the same in my dress as I would've in jeans, so if someone is scared off by fancy, they're just missing out on my sparkling wit. ;)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I'd rather be overdressed. I'd WAY rather be 'better dressed' than everyone else, rather than look like the raggedy hobo that got lost and ended up at a nice party haha. That's how I always feel when I'm underdressed comparitively.

• I would not be disturbed about being somewhat overdressed.

There is always that person at an event who is underdressed, and they look like a rube to me.

• Definitely overdressed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards