Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Booking a honeymoon in Hawaii using Air BNB or VRBO?

Hi,
We are looking at resorts on Kauai and Maui and the recommended ones are pretty pricey. Some suggested air bnb or vrbo? Has anyone done this for their honeymoon?  Does anyone have any opinions on it? I am pretty unsure at the moment.... 

Re: Booking a honeymoon in Hawaii using Air BNB or VRBO?

• Options
    I used vrbo to book a week's vacation in Oahu.  I stayed in Kailua which is away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.  I'm sure you can find a really nice place to stay and keep it cheaper than a hotel.  One of the best things that will help keep your costs down is eating at least one meal a day in, so having a kitchen will be a huge plus!
  • Options
    I considered booking a place in Maui via VRBO when H and I were first contemplating our HM.  The cost was considerably cheaper then a hotel (that $15-$25/person/day resort fee is a killer) and we would have the ability to fix our own breakfasts and lunches which would have saved us money as well.  We ended up not booking because we bought a house so our HM budget had to be reduced significantly.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    We used Airbnb to book our apartment in Florence. It worked out perfectly. 

ETA: The reviews are usually very accurate. 
  • Options
    I have a friend that uses vrbo almost exclusively for their travels. Most of the time it's cheaper then hotels. The great part is that it's a great way to save money because you usually have access to a fridge so you can stock up on snacks & drinks & even do breakfast in. I do know someone that got I think like a studio apartment in Hawaii and loved it. A lot of the rentals still keep you close to the places you want to see, but can sometimes take you away from the very crowded & tourist areas and into the areas where the locals hang out more. And sometimes those can be the best places to find for eating & shopping.
  • Options
    I use VRBO all the time.  We've also used homeaway.  All of my experiences have been great! We are looking to book a place on the big island.  They have some pretty cool looking tree houses that are much cheaper than staying at a resort.  We are going to do the VRBO options in the middle of our trip but start off at a resort and end at a resort.  We will be going to the Big Island and Maui.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to get a AAA membership and even though it sounds weird... you don't need to be over 55 to get a cheap AARP membership.  I think their memberships are $16/year and you can use it to get a lot of great discounts at hotels and resorts.  Sounds crazy, but if it saves you some money- who cares! 
  • Options
    We had two friends book their HM in Hawaii using Airbnb. As far as I know it worked out great and they saved a ton of money! They had a private vacation home to themselves for over a week and seemed to have a really great vacation. I wish I could recommend the exact address they used but I don't have those details.

• Options
    We just got back from Maui and used VRBO.. the condo was amazing, super great location and we loved having a kitchen.. also came with everything we needed for the beach which was nice, I put the link below if you want to check it out! We did 7 days there and that was where the proposal happened!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards