Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Fittings and weight loss

I have my first fitting in three weeks - January 6th!! I am so excited. I've been dying to try my dress on again since I picked it up in October but have been patiently waiting.

When I tried on my dress my weight was X. We ordered my dress one size up from what I tried on because although the one I tried fit, it was a sample so slightly stretched out, and I could hardly sit. So the next size up (even though I planned on losing weight) is what we went with to be safe.

Since I picked out the dress, I have lost about 5-10lbs. I don't want to lose a LOT more weight before the wedding (March 28th) but wouldn't mind losing another 5-10. My dress is a corset, FWIW.

I know it's a broad generalization, but how does weight loss start effecting things once you start your fittings?? Again, I'm not planning to lose 30lbs after my first fitting, and I might not lose anything more, but just trying to get an idea...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fittings and weight loss

• Options
    It's going to vary for everyone, I don't know much about wedding dress alterations, but in my experience 5-10 pounds isn't going to be enough to drop even a whole dress size (unless you're already pretty tiny), and from what I've read a seamstress shouldn't have an issue altering a gown quite a bit more drastically than that, up to 2 whole sizes. Add that to the extra forgiveness of a corset back and I'm sure you'll be just fine. It's also much easier to bring something in a little than it is to take it out a little, so that will also help. 5-10 pounds is definitely not going to necessitate huge, complicated alterations or anything unless you maybe lose absolutely all of it from one spot.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When my dress came in I could zip it myself and it didn't create fat rolls or anything over the top. It did feel a bit snug and I am currently heavier than I have ever been and have been working on weight loss the last two months or so. 

For reference, I am about 5'6" and am a size 10-12 in regular clothes (my dress runs small and is a size 14). When I had lost 5 pounds my dress didn't feel any different. A couple of weeks ago I started working with a personal trainer. She has me on a low carb diet, 45 minutes of cardio four times a week, and I have been lifting weights with her once a week. I haven't really lost any more weight yet, but when I put my dress on over the weekend it was looser than it has ever been. I was actually able to put a bra on under the dress and still zip it. However, the dress is far from needing to be taken in. 

It does all depend a bit on your frame and your height. Unless you very petite (like, 5 feet tall or shorter), I don't think 5 or even 10 pounds is going to make a big difference. It will be nice to have a corset back though as that gives you some grace in either direction.
  • Options
    I think your first fitting appointment is really early. It's 10 weeks before the wedding. I had my first fitting 6 weeks before the wedding. 

Anyway, I think it's different for everyone based on your body type, the silhouette of your dress, etc. I have heard that anything over 2 sizes (and I mean like going from a 10 to a 6) down gets difficult to alter. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think your first fitting appointment is really early. It's 10 weeks before the wedding. I had my first fitting 6 weeks before the wedding. 

Anyway, I think it's different for everyone based on your body type, the silhouette of your dress, etc. I have heard that anything over 2 sizes (and I mean like going from a 10 to a 6) down gets difficult to alter. 
    It is pretty early... the reason they had me schedule early is because at this specific shop, she said they start to get really busy with brides coming in for fittings in February/March for April weddings, so it is best to get on the books so they're already working with me and I won't have any issues with getting appointments. I wasn't thrilled but know I will have fittings after this one, so I'm just going with it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A lot depends on how you're built. I'm a pear shape, so I lose from my waist, chest, and legs first. My hips and butt take for-ev-er to budge.

A seamstress can take a dress in about two sizes. How much they'll need to take in depends on 1) how heavy you were to begin with and 2) where you've lost the weight.

They'll let you know if you can lose more weight or if you should put yourself in "maintenance" mode until after the wedding.
  • Options
    I have years of alterations experience. If the gown was tight to begin with and you loose up to 25 lbs ( unless you started under 140 lbs, then 20 or so)
    It is no problem to alter. True especially of a corset type construction where you don' have to worry about a neckline gaping where there is beading or lace you do no want to touch.

If possible lose no more than7 to 10 pounds after a first fitting. Also keep in mind it is best to finish any dieting except maintenance at least 8 weeks before the wedding . After that normal eating with plenty of toning or exercise.

Having time for your skin to tighten up so you don' t have crepey wrinkles along the edges of your gown where it is snug, and in your neck and shoulder areas , makes a huge difference in your final appearance.
    It takes 6 to 8 weeks to get healthy glowing skin and balanced hair oils back after a 20 pound or more loss if you are losing more than 1 1/2 pounds a week.
  • Options
    I have years of alterations experience. If the gown was tight to begin with and you loose up to 25 lbs ( unless you started under 140 lbs, then 20 or so) It is no problem to alter. True especially of a corset type construction where you don' have to worry about a neckline gaping where there is beading or lace you do no want to touch. If possible lose no more than7 to 10 pounds after a first fitting. Also keep in mind it is best to finish any dieting except maintenance at least 8 weeks before the wedding . After that normal eating with plenty of toning or exercise. Having time for your skin to tighten up so you don' t have crepey wrinkles along the edges of your gown where it is snug, and in your neck and shoulder areas , makes a huge difference in your final appearance. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to get healthy glowing skin and balanced hair oils back after a 20 pound or more loss if you are losing more than 1 1/2 pounds a week.
    This is extremely helpful information for those of us trying to slim down. Thank you!
  • Options
    Also a nurse. After weight loss everyone gets some fluid weight back but the continued exercise that offsets that means you lose no more on the scale, but muscle continues to replace flab and the lost amount of skin and stuff underneath as skin shrinks to fit. Many brides stop the exercise when they hit goal then over the next 2 weeks go up 5-8 pounds. Better to eat a bit more and keep up the exercise at least for a month of stable weight. And look gorgeous
  • Options
    Also a nurse. After weight loss everyone gets some fluid weight back but the continued exercise that offsets that means you lose no more on the scale, but muscle continues to replace flab and the lost amount of skin and stuff underneath as skin shrinks to fit. Many brides stop the exercise when they hit goal then over the next 2 weeks go up 5-8 pounds. Better to eat a bit more and keep up the exercise at least for a month of stable weight. And look gorgeous
    Going to consider you my weight-loss and gorgeousness guru from now on. 
  • Options
    I'm in the last month, pregnant with twins, so be glad you can't see me now, you would be disillusioned.
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    @WhatawagSBNy‌ so my in laws got me a gym membership for Christmas. My first fitting is January 6th. I plan to be at the gym 3-4x a week. I don't intend to take on a drastic diet change and drop a ton of weight, but as I said before I wouldn't mind losing 10lbs before my wedding 3/28. Is this going to be a big issue for my fittings/alterations? Obviously when I go in on the 6th I will be at a different place than after 2 months of moderate exercise. Thoughts from the seamstress???

ETA my dress has a corset back, which I'm hoping will make things easier if I lose any weight
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A gym membership is great.
    As important as weight for your first fitting is to have the foundations you are going to wear with the gown.
    If you are thinking of a long line or push up bra, or a bustier, the gown will fit very differently from a nothing lacy lacy bra and panties.
    At the first fitting the seamstress will fit to your key or anchor points. If your own length from bones at neck, front and back, to waist, is longer than the gown was designed for, the gown waist will ride above natural waist, and start spreading for your hips too high up. Hipline will not be flattering, you will seem shorter waisted and hippy.
    But if the gown bodice is longer than your body, the skirt will hang up with bunchy wrinkles. The seamstress may need to partly detach the skirt to adjust where the waistline falls.
    . She will also check to see that the fullest part of the gown is at your fullest part, so any darts or curved seams can be altered. Same with the angle of shoulder.
    If you are unsure of bra type, bring both a longline or push up and your other choice to the fitting. Panty hose vs a lower stocking, and a shoe with the same heel height, need to be worn at the FIRST fitting.

With these key points correctly located, THEN she can mark your hem. Gowns with 1 or 2 underskirts require 2 or 3 separate hems.

These are the most time consuming alterations to do. Any 10 to 15 pound weight loss after this will be easy and quick, a matter of taking 1/4 inch in on either side of 2 seams will make the gown 1 full inch smaller.

Three things to keep in mind :

A gown should not be skin tight. Make sure you can bend from the waist, reach down a few inches below hip and lift skirt a little to sit, go up or down a step and in and out of a car. And dance.

Unless your gown is designed to puddle and drag on the floor, it should be hemmed to 1 1/2 or 2 inches above the floor. THIS is traditional floor length. To anyone sitting or standing, not lying on the floor, looking down the hem will appear to just skim the floor. But you will not trip or end the day with a torn and dirty gown.

Laws of gravity apply. A gown with off the shoulder or strapless design needs to be anchored to something so it does not slide down 2 inches over 4 hours. Ask your seamstress if a snap or Velcro dot to a bra on gown underside is necessary. Some somewhat busty women do well to have a little spaghetti strap, maybe satin made from gown hem, or clear crystals on invisible nylon thread, that can be attached with a hook and eye to the gown after the ceremony and pictures, but before traveling to a reception and spending an evening moving and dancing. Prevents constantly tugging a gown up, or bending forward and having breasts resettle in a bulge above the dress edge.
  • Options
    @WhatawagSBNy‌ you're a hero! Thanks!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards