Chit Chat
Options

Do you track your spending?

2»

Re: Do you track your spending?

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Also I hate when I go to lunch with a friend and they suggest putting it on my card and giving me the cash. Cuz I'm gunna go spend that cash on something random and my tracking is going to look over inflated. But I don't want to be a weirdo and say no for $25 worth so I just do it.

I hate this too!  Throws off my whole system.. haha
    I LOVE this! I use my credit card for everything because I earn points. So if I can use my credit card for stuff and get reimbursed, it's like earning free points/money/airline miles. 

I will always offer to pay and have people give me cash or have my company reimburse me. I have over 100K points on my chase card right now - need to use that!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    No, I don't track my spending, but I know within about $50 what my credit card balance is at the end of each month. I rarely spend cash because I have a much harder time keeping track of that.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Also I hate when I go to lunch with a friend and they suggest putting it on my card and giving me the cash. Cuz I'm gunna go spend that cash on something random and my tracking is going to look over inflated. But I don't want to be a weirdo and say no for $25 worth so I just do it.

I always just put the cash toward the check and have them put the rest on the card. I can't have cash burning a hole in my pocket.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I always just put the cash toward the check and have them put the rest on the card. I can't have cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Yes!  If I have cash it's like a race to see how fast I can spend it.
  • Options
    @southernbelle0915 Cash that bitch in!!! Saved mine for the last 4 years. When I booked the London/ Iceland trip last week you have no idea how good it felt to finally hit  "apply statement credit" and see the trip wiped off!

• Options
    I used my cashback rewards on Christmas gifts this year.  It felt good to do that for sure!  Points and rewards are the best.
  • Options
    DH and I use an app that syncs between our phones to track our spending.  It is a virtual envelope system, so I tell the app that we can spend X on groceries, X on our mortgage/utilities and so on down the line.

Every time we spend money (cash, debit or credit card) we put the amount spent in the app.  It has been a huge help in knowing where our money is going and how much we have left at any given time in the month.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @southernbelle0915 Cash that bitch in!!! Saved mine for the last 4 years. When I booked the London/ Iceland trip last week you have no idea how good it felt to finally hit  "apply statement credit" and see the trip wiped off!
    REALLY want to go to Iceland! In general, would you recommend?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I haven't been yet (going in March) but @lacqueredlover said it kicks ass.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    jenna8984 said:

I'll be really interested in hearing about it! @laqueredlover, what time of year did you go?

• Options
    FiancB said:
    I do off and on. I haven't in quite a while. Once the break starts up I intend to start back up again and really crack down on our finances. 

I get depressed by what we spend on groceries. I try really hard to keep it down but we still spend so much. I remind myself that we don't eat out very much, but yikes. At least we have Costco now. 
    Groceries are the one thing I feel no guilt over, actually. We need to eat, and we think eating healthy, nutritious food is important, so I just buy what we need and don't worry about it, even though we spend $600 - $800 a month on food. FI eats a lot and we eat mostly fresh vegetables and high-quality protein, so it adds up pretty fast. But as long as it's not going to waste (and it NEVER goes to waste in our house because FI and roomie are little garbage disposals) I just don't worry about it. I like to cook and we like to eat and a life of canned vegetables and frozen hamburger meat barely seems worth living, lol. As long as our finances remain comfortable I will continue to buy smoked salmon and grass-fed filet and out-of-season vegetables and truffle oil and stuff because we find good food such an important factor in our overall physical and emotional well-being.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I track our spending every month.  In large categories ie: Food, eating out, Costco etc.

For those of you ladies that use credit cards each month for points, which card do you use?  We can pay our rent using a cc so that will rack up points easily every month.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I track our spending every month.  In large categories ie: Food, eating out, Costco etc.

For those of you ladies that use credit cards each month for points, which card do you use?  We can pay our rent using a cc so that will rack up points easily every month.
    I'm Canadian so our cards won't be available for you, but I have one that gives me points on everything I buy but those points can be used exclusively for groceries at one chain (because that's the one thing I know I'll always be buying.) I get more points by picking a focused one than I'd get from a less-specific one.

FI has a highly-regarded airline one that includes a free flight every year separate from the points. 

You really have to do your research and pick one that will give you the best rewards for what you buy and what you want from your points. For us, that's a guaranteed free flight and a discount on the other person's flight and cheaper groceries.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

@futuremrsn3312 I have Capital One Venture card. Double points (2% instead of 1%) on everything all the time. The annual fee is $60 but I don't mind since I get almost that much in rewards each month. And cashing in is so easy, I literally just click "apply as statement credit" when I chose to. They cut the amount in half if you ask for it in a check so I wouldn't do that. Also I hate to sound like a salesperson but I love their customer service- they don't charge any currency conversion fees when I travel and I've been refunded for fees for accidentally paying a day late.

My mom works for AAA and sells their credit card. It's 3% on travel purchases, 2% on gas & groceries, and 1% on everything else.

• Options

I love the Discover IT card. You get 1% cash back on all purchases and each quarter there are different categories that you sign up for to get 5% cash back.  This quarter it's merchandise stores and online retailers. In January-March it will be gas stations and ground transportation services.

They also offer shop discover which is kind of like Ebates, just Discover's way of doing it.

FI has the Southwest Card, and we are using his points to fly to Aruba for our wedding :) 

• Options
    fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    I track everything meticulously but I use my American Express for most of my day-to-day stuff for the points. I use it essentially as a debit card in that I never put more on it than I have in my checking account. I have a system where I write purchases down on 2 different registers, one for Amex and one for checking. It totally confuses my fiancé but it works for me.

I also love the Discover IT card points, but I just recently got a Citi double cash back that has become the new 'wedding' card - I get 1% back on all items purchased and 1% back when payments are made (paying it in full each month, so 2% back on everything basically).

edited bc one of my sentences sounded pirate-like

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I have a spreadsheet with a set budget (divided into categories) for each month, but I don't keep the columns for previous months. I usually have the next four to five months visible, with estimated chequing account balances at various points in time.

• Options
    steph861 said:
    I have a spreadsheet with a set budget (divided into categories) for each month, but I don't keep the columns for previous months. I usually have the next four to five months visible, with estimated chequing account balances at various points in time.
    I do the exact same thing! I love it because it allows me to see how an expenditure in January might affect my finances in March.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    jenna8984 said:

I'll be really interested in hearing about it! @laqueredlover, what time of year did you go?
    I went to Iceland in June of 2008 and it was awesome.  It was light out about 20 hours a day, we did the ring of fire, puffin island and the Blue Lagoon (highly recommend getting a massage there in the water, unlike anything I've ever experienced before.)

If you're looking for more of a winter/arctic place, I highly recommend going to the Arctic Circle in Finland.  I went to Ivalo 2 years ago to see the Northern Lights and it was unbelievable.  We stayed in a glass igloo, took reindeer rides, went on snowmobiles, dog sledding, etc.  

• Options

I primarily use my American Airlines Executive Club card. This yields me American Aadvantage miles. I also have a Starwood AmEx, which I use for Starwood purchases and if the AmEx has a special offer (like spend $200 at Zappos, get $50 back). I have a United MileagePlus Club card as well. I rarely use it, but it's my only Visa card.

I like the AmEx I have because you can use Starpoints for hotel stays, flights, concerts, hotel upgrades, activities, and more!

While I never carry a balance on any of these, some of them do have hefty annual fees. The Club cards, in particular, have annual fees of around $400-$500 because it includes an airline club membership. I believe the AmEx fee is ~$65.

• Options
    Yes!!  We went last July.  Just be prepared for the cold.  I've been that far north before, in Canada and it was about 25C.  In Iceland, it was 8C.  And windy and rainy.  I bought a toque the first day.  And I wished I had a set of little gloves.  We stayed based in Reykjavik and did day trips, but if we do it again, we'd circle the island in a car.  Not a lot to see in the city, cos it's not too big.  And it's super expensive.  It makes the rest of Europe look cheap.  

OP - I'm brutal with tracking money.  DH takes care of the joint.  He could be totally cleaning me out for all I know.  He tells me each month about what we've got in checking/savings.  I keep a set amount in my account very month (randomly picking numbers here, $2000 = $0 balance for me) for a cushion.  I'm nowhere near my "$0" balance.  

I also don't really shop, so don't spend much.  I check basically when I go to pay my Visa and see my checking account too.  And as for cash back, I'm at almost $7!!  Woo!!  Obviously, I use my debit card more than my Visa, so if I don't have the cash in the bank, I don't buy it.  

• Options
    @winstonsgirl did you do a northern lights tour? I really want to do one because they drive you outside the city where it's darker/ easier to see. But I can't decide between coach, jeep offroad, or boat. We don't particularly like being stuck in larg crowds so I'm leaning against the coach. But boat and the Jeep sound really cool but I'm worried about being stuck out there freezing for the duration (4-5 hours). I wish there was like a private tour that could just bring me back after 2 hours if I got too cold because I'm a big baby lol

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @winstonsgirl did you do a northern lights tour? I really want to do one because they drive you outside the city where it's darker/ easier to see. But I can't decide between coach, jeep offroad, or boat. We don't particularly like being stuck in larg crowds so I'm leaning against the coach. But boat and the Jeep sound really cool but I'm worried about being stuck out there freezing for the duration (4-5 hours). I wish there was like a private tour that could just bring me back after 2 hours if I got too cold because I'm a big baby lol
    OMG I seriously cannot say enough to go to Finland to do the Northern Lights.  Where we stayed, they would ring a bell and you would just go outside and see the lights when they were visible.  We stayed 1.5 hours north of Helsinki so there were no lights to distract.  

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    OMG I seriously cannot say enough to go to Finland to do the Northern Lights.  Where we stayed, they would ring a bell and you would just go outside and see the lights when they were visible.  We stayed 1.5 hours north of Helsinki so there were no lights to distract.  

Damn that is SO cool!! I have been to Helsinki but looks like I will have to go back one day!

• Options

My bank actually does it for me (in a pie chart) so you can see what % of money is spent in each category. I usually track it slightly, but I don't really care as long as the bills/savings get paid!

That being said, I know MOST of our 'fun' money goes to liquor, and then food. Liquor is expensive.

• Options
    I track H's spending more careful than mine, he is more of a spender than I am. Most of my purchases are food, he tends to need a little more tracking.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    We didn't, for a couple of reasons.  First, it was July, so the sun set about 2:30am and came up about 3:30am.  No darkness.  Secondly, we're far enough north that we get northern lights in our city pretty often.  I'll see them every couple of years here, so I guess the tours aren't as much of a priority for us.  

I personally wouldn't do a boat tour, but I get seasick.  I think it would be much colder on the water too.  The jeep would be a smaller crowd I think

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards