Snarky Brides

Issues with Karen

andy9366andy9366 member
First Comment
edited December 2014 in Snarky Brides
My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months. All plans are finalized almost, guest list set, we just can't agree on one thing- the ceremony/cocktail hour guest list.

I wanted the entire wedding small and he wanted the whole wedding huge so this was our compromise.

The background here is that my father passed away 7 years ago and he's paying for this wedding with money my mom set aside after he passed.

The issue: my fiancé's best man's girlfriend. My fiancé and the best man, we'll call him Sam, have been best friends for 25 years. Sam and his girlfriend, Karen, live together. She never personally offended me until recent when she drunkly came to our house and hit on my fiancé numerous times in front of me by caressing his thigh and asked if he waxed his shaft! This girl has no respect for herself or me and I cannot have her at my ceremony.

My fiancé says that if I do not let her come to the ceremony I will ruin his relationship with Sam. He's probably right too because Sam is immature and wouldn't understand any of this.

I'm using church pews at my ceremony and my wedding planner has shown me - there will be 4 pews in total. I will see everyone's face. Then our 40 close family and friends will be spending quality time together before the reception. No room for Karen.

I have 2 bridesmaids who aren't family but are best friends and their boyfriends ARE invited to the ceremony. They are both coming from New York and have never hit on me and I've known them for over 6 years. My fiancé thinks they shouldn't be invited if Karen cannot come but I don't see why my best friends should be punished because his best friend is dating someone like that?

Needless to say, Karen's presence at every wedding event that features alcohol makes me nervous because she's a loose cannon/goose.

I haven't been a bitch about anything with this wedding or had to have anything one particular way but this is serious! On one hand this is the last gift my dad is ever going to give me and I don't want to keep appeasing everyone except me. On the other hand I may ruin my husband's longest friendship because I'm being a brat.

I think I am being fair to everyone by allowing her to come to the reception. I need some advice.

Re: Issues with Karen

• andy9366 said:
    My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months. All plans are finalized almost, guest list set, we just can't agree on one thing- the ceremony/cocktail hour guest list. I wanted the entire wedding small and he wanted the whole wedding huge so this was our compromise. The background here is that my father passed away 7 years ago and he's paying for this wedding with money my mom set aside after he passed. The issue: my fiancé's best man's girlfriend. My fiancé and the best man, we'll call him Sam, have been best friends for 25 years. Sam and his girlfriend, Karen, live together. She never personally offended me until recent when she drunkly came to our house and hit on my fiancé numerous times in front of me by caressing his thigh and asked if he waxed his shaft! This girl has no respect for herself or me and I cannot have her at my ceremony. My fiancé says that if I do not let her come to the ceremony I will ruin his relationship with Sam. He's probably right too because Sam is immature and wouldn't understand any of this. I'm using church pews at my ceremony and my wedding planner has shown me - there will be 4 pews in total. I will see everyone's face. Then our 40 close family and friends will be spending quality time together before the reception. No room for Karen. I have 2 bridesmaids who aren't family but are best friends and their boyfriends ARE invited to the ceremony. They are both coming from New York and have never hit on me and I've known them for over 6 years. My fiancé thinks they shouldn't be invited if Karen cannot come but I don't see why my best friends should be punished because his best friend is dating a whore? Needless to say, Karen's presence at every wedding event that features alcohol makes me nervous because she's a loose cannon/goose. I haven't been a bitch about anything with this wedding or had to have anything one particular way but this is serious! On one hand this is the last gift my dad is ever going to give me and I don't want to keep appeasing everyone except me. On the other hand I may ruin my husband's longest friendship because I'm being a brat. I think I am being fair to everyone by allowing her to come to the reception. I need some advice.
    You have to invite everyone's SO. Unless they have physically assaulted you/FI (in which case why would you or he remain friends with them?) you have no grounds not to do as etiquette dictates.

Also, I have yet to see any bride look at anyone's face beside her groom's on their wedding day. You really won't even see her. You won't have to speak to her beyond thanking her for coming.
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

Your FI is right.

Except for the part where a possible solution would be not to invite your bridesmaids' SOs. You have to invite all the SOs.

• mikenbergermikenberger member
    edited December 2014
    #1- The reception is to thank people for attending your wedding. Splitting the two is grabby grabby gift gift. Especially with the huge variance in guests. I would look to see how I could accommodate the 350 people I want to get a gift from into seeing the actual event that they're giving a gift for. Make it worth their money. It's up to them if they want to actually attend the wedding.

#2- since you've already chosen this breach in etiquette already, I won't go off on a tangent here. But your FI is totally right. She didn't sleep with him while you two were together, she didn't show up nekkid in his bed. She touched his thigh and made some off color remark about waxing his shaft while she was drunk. Doesn't make her an innocent bystander, just makes her a sloppy drunk. 

Get over it. Not inviting her but inviting the other SOs is a direct slap to your FIs best friend who has been around far longer than you and honestly, didn't do anything to deserve not being invited. If you're annoyed that she's there, you aren't concerned enough with getting married to the love of your life.

ETA: For my misread of the timeline

• 1) Invite SOs. You're overreacting. If you focus at all on her on the wedding day, you're doing it wrong.
    2) Why are you having a separate, 350 person event outside your actual wedding reception? Strikes me as AWish. 
    *********************************************************************************

• So let me get this straight...

You're having a small, intimate wedding. And then three months later, you're going to have a big-ass party? What is the point of this? A wedding reception is to thank people for coming to your wedding. If you aren't inviting these people to your wedding, it's not a reception. Please rethink this.

Look, I get that you don't like Karen. But when women hit on your FI, you should be laughing, because he chose you. If you feel the need to freak out and be jealous, that's a problem between you and your FI, not a problem with this girl. Invite her, think in your head how lucky you are to be marrying your FI, and GET THE HELL OVER IT.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • larrygaga said:
    You invite her to the ceremony and be glad that your FI is marrying you and not anyone else. I'm sure the flirting made him super uncomfortable. I understand your anger but think about who is getting married to your lovely FI and who isn't! Stop being such a jealous crazy person, it's so unattractive. You won, you got a wedding. Gracious and classy women would let it roll off like water on a duck's back. You honestly won't even notice she's there, and I doubt she will bother FI on his wedding day. 

Wait, hold up. I'm confused. I thought that this was actually one the reasons to not invite someone. Can't have physically assaulted the bride or groom and the other is hitting on/sleeping with one of them. Did I miss something? Just want some clarification on that.

Also OP, holy shoot! Stop saying "hoe", "whore", and "bitch". Jeez-oh-pete. The girl was drunk, she got handsy. Shouldn't have done that, bad call on her part, but could you stop? Those words are very offensive and to be honest, while I don't like what she did, I was pretty turned off by your behavior as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • larrygaga said:
    You invite her to the ceremony and be glad that your FI is marrying you and not anyone else. I'm sure the flirting made him super uncomfortable. I understand your anger but think about who is getting married to your lovely FI and who isn't! Stop being such a jealous crazy person, it's so unattractive. You won, you got a wedding. Gracious and classy women would let it roll off like water on a duck's back. You honestly won't even notice she's there, and I doubt she will bother FI on his wedding day. 

Wait, hold up. I'm confused. I thought that this was actually one the reasons to not invite someone. Can't have physically assaulted the bride or groom and the other is hitting on/sleeping with one of them. Did I miss something? Just want some clarification on that.

Also OP, holy shoot! Stop saying "hoe", "whore", and "bitch". Jeez-oh-pete. The girl was drunk, she got handsy. Shouldn't have done that, bad call on her part, but could you stop? Those words are very offensive and to be honest, while I don't like what she did, I was pretty turned off by your behavior as well.
    If it was a one night drunken thing where this girl was acting like an idiot and FI was all "um, no" then I think the OP needs to let it go.  Everyone has done something dumb and stupid while drunk that they would like to just forget.

Now if this was an ongoing thing where the girl has repeatedly and openly flirted and touched OPs FI in an inappropriate manner then OP has every right to not want her at her wedding.

• You need the chill the fuck out. You are acting like a Bridezilla. She got drunk and behaved this way ONE TIME and she's a whore? Get a grip! 

So what that she hit on your FI. Did he take her into the bedroom and have sex with her? No. Get over it. She needs to be invited. 

Also, my husband dated a girl for 12 years. They broke up many, many years ago and my husband stayed friends with her twin sister and brother. So, I see the ex on occasion. She's hit on my husband many times. Guess what? It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I actually feel bad for her because she obviously still has feelings for my husband. But I trust him, so really, anyone flirting with him doesn't bother me. 
  • Wait, hold up. I'm confused. I thought that this was actually one the reasons to not invite someone. Can't have physically assaulted the bride or groom and the other is hitting on/sleeping with one of them. Did I miss something? Just want some clarification on that.

The OP stated the following.

andy9366 said:
    My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months. All plans are finalized almost, guest list set, we just can't agree on one thing- the ceremony/cocktail hour guest list. ... The issue: my fiancé's best man's girlfriend. My fiancé and the best man, we'll call him Sam, have been best friends for 25 years. Sam and his girlfriend, Karen, live together. She never personally offended me until recent when she drunkly came to our house and hit on my fiancé numerous times in front of me by caressing his thigh and asked if he waxed his shaft! This girl has no respect for herself or me and I cannot have her at my ceremony. My fiancé says that if I do not let her come to the ceremony I will ruin his relationship with Sam. He's probably right too because Sam is immature and wouldn't understand any of this. I'm using church pews at my ceremony and my wedding planner has shown me - there will be 4 pews in total. I will see everyone's face. Then our 40 close family and friends will be spending quality time together before the reception. No room for Karen. ... On the other hand I may ruin my husband's longest friendship because I'm being a brat. I think I am being fair to everyone by allowing her to come to the reception. I need some advice.
    Karen did not assault OP's fiance. She stupidly drunkenly flirted with him by touching his leg and making a very off color comment. She did not physically attack him or touch his private parts or sexually assault him. I'm not saying Karen's behavior was acceptable. It wasn't. But I have known many women who get really inappropriately flirty when they have been drinking. And I've known many people (women and men) who make inappropriate comments when they're drinking. 

I'm sorry, OP, that Karen behaved so inappropriately. I completely understand your anger and resentment. But I do think this is a great time to be the more mature person and the gracious host. Do not ruin your fiance or your relationship with Sam. Karen's behavior only reflects poorly on herself. And your fiance is dedicated to you, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I think you should graciously invite both Sam and Karen. Get an extra pew if you need to. Let your fiance know how uncomfortable you were when Karen behaved in that manner and if necessary he can let Sam know that Karen's behavior made you both uncomfortable. That way Sam can intervene if he sees his lady get out of control drunk. Focus on your fiance and your loved ones and don't worry about her being there.
  • So I think everyone has covered that Karen needs to be invited.

Lets talk about this ceremony/ cocktail hour/ reception mess.

It sounds like the ceremony/ cocktail hour and the reception are on different days which is fine. But there are some guidelines that need to be followed. What time is your ceremony? Becasue if it is near a meal time then you need to serve a full meal. A cocktail hour will not be enough. If it is at 2pm cocktails, snacks and cake will be fine.

Now the "reception" is where I am worried. If it is 3 months after your wedding then its a party, not a wedding reception. And that means, no grand entrance, no first dances, no garter tosses, no bridal party, no ceremony re-enactment etc. This is just a party to celebrate your marriage.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You're not having a 350 person reception. The reception happens after the wedding. It's the thing you're calling a cocktail hour. 
    Everybody else has covered the Karen issue. 
  • Everyone has covered the Karen issue, which I agree with.

But something I'm confused about- is the 40 person ceremony and cocktail hour happening on the same day as the 350 person "reception"? I took the phrase "My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months" as all of this happening in 3 months on the same day. Or is the "reception" happening in 3 months?
    No matter the answer this "reception" shouldn't be happening but I just wanted to clarify.

Formerly martha1818

• LOL @ title change/edited post.  

Thanks, quoters!
    Anniversary

• Good improvement.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• andy9366 said:
    On the other hand I may ruin my husband's longest friendship because I'm being a brat.
    Yup. You answered your own question. You are being a brat. Invite her.
  • For the record, it's not just YOUR wedding.  It's your Fiance's too.  So stop with the entitled "it's all about me" show.  It's about him too.  And this is his best friends girlfriend.  So just stop.

But something I'm confused about- is the 40 person ceremony and cocktail hour happening on the same day as the 350 person "reception"? I took the phrase "My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months" as all of this happening in 3 months on the same day. Or is the "reception" happening in 3 months?
    No matter the answer this "reception" shouldn't be happening but I just wanted to clarify.

It so interesting how people will often interpret the same words/info differently, lol.  I read the OP post like you are talking about...that all the events are happening on the same day.  That the "three short months" refers to when it is all happening.  But, reading the other comments, I saw that most people interpreted it to mean the big party was happening on a later date.

I'd side-eye it either way, but it is slightly different.  Same day = rude, because 11.4% of the guest list is invited to the ceremony, but the other 89.6% is not.  But, I'd still call it a reception because it is happening on the same day.  Though, if I was one of the 89.6% of the guest list not invited to the ceremony, I probably wouldn't go to the reception either.  Simply because my attitude is, "If I am not important enough to see the ceremony that is the whole POINT of the day, than why would I want to go to the reception?"

I know I've read on the Etiquette Board that it is marginally "okay" to invite just very close family and friends to the ceremony (though 11% of the guest list exceeds this) and then have a big reception later that day ...but I actually don't agree with it.  It is just strange and doesn't make sense.

Now, if the big party is on another day...which is what most of you have assumed...than that is okay as long as it is not touted as some "after the fact" reception.  It is NOT a reception, it is a big party.  Nor should it have any trimmings or official mention of the wedding.

And, to the OP, I certainly realize none of this is what you asked about.  And nor will you be changing your plans based on our opinions because the ship has pretty much sailed on this anyway.  But I just wanted this to be a warning to others that inviting guests in "tiers" can be offensive and hurtful and is never the right compromise.

Okay, one more tangent.  Ugh, I can't help myself.  If I was solely or almost solely paying for my wedding with an inheritance from my father...and my fiancé insisted on a crazy large blowout that I didn't want.  Then he darn well better be ready to throw in some serious ching himself because I will only be contributing $X...with $X equaling roughly the size/type of reception I am comfortable having.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    Everyone has covered the Karen issue, which I agree with.

It so interesting how people will often interpret the same words/info differently, lol.  I read the OP post like you are talking about...that all the events are happening on the same day.  That the "three short months" refers to when it is all happening.  But, reading the other comments, I saw that most people interpreted it to mean the big party was happening on a later date.

I'd side-eye it either way, but it is slightly different.  Same day = rude, because 11.4% of the guest list is invited to the ceremony, but the other 89.6% is not.  But, I'd still call it a reception because it is happening on the same day.  Though, if I was one of the 89.6% of the guest list not invited to the ceremony, I probably wouldn't go to the reception either.  Simply because my attitude is, "If I am not important enough to see the ceremony that is the whole POINT of the day, than why would I want to go to the reception?"

I know I've read on the Etiquette Board that it is marginally "okay" to invite just very close family and friends to the ceremony (though 11% of the guest list exceeds this) and then have a big reception later that day ...but I actually don't agree with it.  It is just strange and doesn't make sense.

Now, if the big party is on another day...which is what most of you have assumed...than that is okay as long as it is not touted as some "after the fact" reception.  It is NOT a reception, it is a big party.  Nor should it have any trimmings or official mention of the wedding.

And, to the OP, I certainly realize none of this is what you asked about.  And nor will you be changing your plans based on our opinions because the ship has pretty much sailed on this anyway.  But I just wanted this to be a warning to others that inviting guests in "tiers" can be offensive and hurtful and is never the right compromise.

Okay, one more tangent.  Ugh, I can't help myself.  If I was solely or almost solely paying for my wedding with an inheritance from my father...and my fiancé insisted on a crazy large blowout that I didn't want.  Then he darn well better be ready to throw in some serious ching himself because I will only be contributing $X...with $X equaling roughly the size/type of reception I am comfortable having.

Yes it's so funny how things can be read differently! 

I think from an etiquette perspective private ceremonies and larger receptions are technically fine. However I think that's only if it's like, Bride, groom, parents, siblings. 40 people is a lot...it's possible that it's just immediate family if she has a large family though. 

Still regardless of etiquette I think private ceremonies+larger receptions and celebration of marriage parties are just so pointless and AWish. Like, who do you think you are that you need to have so many separate events to get married, the queen? Do you think people are so desperate to see you get married that they're like "OH THANK GOD she's having a random party afterwards I was about to die if she didn't!" Or that they'll be fine with just going to your reception like a second class guest? I just hate the self-importance of it all. Ok rant done, lol.

Formerly martha1818

Yes it's so funny how things can be read differently! 

I think from an etiquette perspective private ceremonies and larger receptions are technically fine. However I think that's only if it's like, Bride, groom, parents, siblings. 40 people is a lot...it's possible that it's just immediate family if she has a large family though. 

Still regardless of etiquette I think private ceremonies+larger receptions and celebration of marriage parties are just so pointless and AWish. Like, who do you think you are that you need to have so many separate events to get married, the queen? Do you think people are so desperate to see you get married that they're like "OH THANK GOD she's having a random party afterwards I was about to die if she didn't!" Or that they'll be fine with just going to your reception like a second class guest? I just hate the self-importance of it all. Ok rant done, lol.
    Fi and I have 34 people in the immediate family. As in siblings, siblings families, parents and grandparents. Then if you include people who are not technically immediate but are so close they are anyway, like a close aunt or best friend, you could easily get 40 people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited December 2014
    The 350 person party you are having is not a part of your wedding.
    Your reception will be your cocktail hour.

The girlfriend's behavior does not reflect on you.  Your outrageous planning does. I would be very insulted to be invited to a "wedding reception" three months after the ceremony took place.

PS.  Your father is in no way paying for your wedding.  Your mother is paying for it.  It is her money now.  She did not have to set it aside for your wedding.  You should be thanking HER.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited December 2014

andy9366 said:
    My fiancé and I are having a small 40 person ceremony & cocktail hour and then a 350 person reception in 3 short months. All plans are finalized almost, guest list set, we just can't agree on one thing- the ceremony/cocktail hour guest list. I wanted the entire wedding small and he wanted the whole wedding huge so this was our compromise. The background here is that my father passed away 7 years ago and he's paying for this wedding with money my mom set aside after he passed. The issue: my fiancé's best man's girlfriend. My fiancé and the best man, we'll call him Sam, have been best friends for 25 years. Sam and his girlfriend, Karen, live together. She never personally offended me until recent when she drunkly came to our house and hit on my fiancé numerous times in front of me by caressing his thigh and asked if he waxed his shaft! This girl has no respect for herself or me and I cannot have her at my ceremony. My fiancé says that if I do not let her come to the ceremony I will ruin his relationship with Sam. He's probably right too because Sam is immature and wouldn't understand any of this. I'm using church pews at my ceremony and my wedding planner has shown me - there will be 4 pews in total. I will see everyone's face. Then our 40 close family and friends will be spending quality time together before the reception. No room for Karen. I have 2 bridesmaids who aren't family but are best friends and their boyfriends ARE invited to the ceremony. They are both coming from New York and have never hit on me and I've known them for over 6 years. My fiancé thinks they shouldn't be invited if Karen cannot come but I don't see why my best friends should be punished because his best friend is dating someone like that? Needless to say, Karen's presence at every wedding event that features alcohol makes me nervous because she's a loose cannon/goose. I haven't been a bitch about anything with this wedding or had to have anything one particular way but this is serious! On one hand this is the last gift my dad is ever going to give me and I don't want to keep appeasing everyone except me. On the other hand I may ruin my husband's longest friendship because I'm being a brat. I think I am being fair to everyone by allowing her to come to the reception. I need some advice.
    short+sassy said: 

I say:
    So, no wedding dress, no bouquet toss, no "first dance", no wedding anything at this big party!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited December 2014
    You being uncomfortable with a stupid thing Karen did when she was drunk is in no way worthy of ruining your FI's longest friendship! Think about how selfish that would be. I don't know what else happening in your life constitutes "appeasing everyone except me" but it isn't just YOUR wedding. I am all for having the wedding you want and not giving into family demands, but your fiancé is literally the one person you DO have to appease! I hope you take everyone's advice to heart.
  • The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • MadHops21 said:
    The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet
    Lol, are you trying to add bunny gifs with the traditional puppy gifs?  If so, I approve :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • short+sassy Yes, yes I am. This is my version of puppy gifs to threads like this. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • MadHops21 said:
    short+sassy Yes, yes I am. This is my version of puppy gifs to threads like this. 
    I am in 100% support of this.  I am dying over here from the cuteness.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards