Chit Chat
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    I loath Dave Matthews.
    I don't loathe Dave Matthews. I loathe DMB fans. I don't loathe the Cubs. I loathe Cubs fans.  

If I met a guy and asked what kind of music he liked, a response such as, "Oh, you know, like DMB and stuff," would be a deal breaker. When I was in high school, liking DMB was cool like wearing Abercombie was cool, and people would brag about how many concerts they'd been to.  Cubs fans are deal breakers for dating too, because I don't understand how someone can pay top dollar to support a team that just can't win. Lack of logic and wasting money are both turn-offs for a relationship with me. People are usually Cubs fans because it's cool to be a Cubs fan and wear pink tight t-shirts and get wasted and not actually watch the game taking place on the field-- yet heaven forbid anyone's a White Sox fan because White Sox fans are thugs because they're on the South Side and you know, logic. 
    Ok, stopping my rant now. 
    Yeah, FI's a Cubs "fan" in that he likes to watch the Cubs best. Even though they lose. I'm pretty sure it's a hope thing, haha. He balances out his Cubs losses with Blackhawk wins though, usually, so I guess it's all good. :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    @shessocold that made me literally laugh out loud.

I think a quarter of the fans are true fans. It's usually people who grew up going to games with their family and actually follow baseball, the statistics, and the players.  I have no issue with fans like that.  

• Options
    blues28 said:
    AddieCake said:
    @Fran1985  What the actual fuck?   You must elaborate. Did she respond? 

I only skimmed the thread b/c it was too long by the time I got to it, but I love Rush, Nickelback, and Titanic, so fuck you guys. 

@AddieCake It was just a doll all tucked in. Not even a realistic looking one either. And no she didn't respond, she gave me a dirty look like I was the one breaking all social conventions.
    Ugh, but I need to know WHY?!!!!!

I need to find this woman and ask her, straight up, "WTF?!"

I almost did that the other day to this guy that walked past me barefoot.  Full business casual attire, no shoes or socks on. . . in December.
    I think I can beat this. Back in my home town at least 10 years ago there was a guy that would walk around dressed like Jesus. Some kids would come to class and say " Hey I hung out with Jesus on Saturday!" The guy always creeped me out, so I never talked to or approached him.
    See, this is perfect though.  Because when any Jehovah's Witness or Born Again asked you if you had found Jesus, you could say, "Well actually, yes, yes I have!"

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    @shessocold that made me literally laugh out loud.

I think a quarter of the fans are true fans. It's usually people who grew up going to games with their family and actually follow baseball, the statistics, and the players.  I have no issue with fans like that.  
    LOL I thought it was funny. I don;t like baseball at all so whenever I end up at a Cubs game we typically leave super early and go to the bars. 

But I totally agree about moron fans. I'm a Bears season ticket holder and while I do drink and have a good time, I actually understand the game and give a shit. People who come to the game and dick around with their phones and have full out conversations irritate me. With girls who clearly don't care, I always wonder how much their boyfriends spent on the tickets and why they even bothered.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    I loath Dave Matthews.
    I don't loathe Dave Matthews. I loathe DMB fans. I don't loathe the Cubs. I loathe Cubs fans.  

If I met a guy and asked what kind of music he liked, a response such as, "Oh, you know, like DMB and stuff," would be a deal breaker. When I was in high school, liking DMB was cool like wearing Abercombie was cool, and people would brag about how many concerts they'd been to.  Cubs fans are deal breakers for dating too, because I don't understand how someone can pay top dollar to support a team that just can't win. Lack of logic and wasting money are both turn-offs for a relationship with me. People are usually Cubs fans because it's cool to be a Cubs fan and wear pink tight t-shirts and get wasted and not actually watch the game taking place on the field-- yet heaven forbid anyone's a White Sox fan because White Sox fans are thugs because they're on the South Side and you know, logic. 
    Ok, stopping my rant now. 
    Haha, H is a Cubs fan, and I told him the bolded last night. In his defense, he grew up in Des Monies, and they had no professional sports teams. The closest thing they had was minor league baseball, which is the Cubs affiliate. Hence, he grew up going to Iowa Cubs games. But I wouldn't say he spends any money supporting the Cubs. I just like to tease him about liking a losing team.
    This is also why I'm a Cubs fan :) And my grandpa and grandma (one is my mom's dad, the other is my dad's mom. I was screwed from the get go.) And I love to claim that the Cubs killed Grandma. She was waiting for them to win. She hung on until they went into the post seasons with the Rockies and got slaughtered. She died shortly after. Tragic then, but funny to tell now.

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    AddieCake said:
    I can't imagine not dating a guy b/c of a band he likes or a sports team he likes. 
    I would never, in a million years, date a Vikings fan. Or a Lions fan. Packers fans would have to pass a gauntlet of tests. Including my family.

ETA: This would also include the Hawkeyes. I wouldn't kick a Cardinals (MLB) fan out of bed though.

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    I can't imagine not dating a guy b/c of a band he likes or a sports team he likes. 
    Me either. It seems pretty ridiculous to me.
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Indeed. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    A Flyers fan would have been an absolute deal breaker for me.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    I would never, in a million years, date a Vikings fan. Or a Lions fan. Packers fans would have to pass a gauntlet of tests. Including my family.
    Yeah, no way in hell would I have dated a fan of my rival team. Sports are a religion in my family and college football is life. It would render us incompatible.

Whenever I see one of those lame "house divided" flags, I always think it myself "Gross! Talk about sleeping with the enemy! One of them is not a true fan, plain and simple."
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    beethery said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I love Nirvana but I hate the song "Smells like Teen Spirit". Seriously it is their worst song and waaaay over rated. Also I think Dave Grohl is super hot now but he wasn't when he was in Nirvana. He kind of looked like a monkey then.
    The beard helps him a lot. He is one of my favorite people.

The beard does help a lot for him. He is one of my favorite people too. He is seriously so talented it is unreal. Plus he seems like a super nice guy.
    Did you guys watch SonicHighways? I really liked it even though I didn't love the actual foo fighters songs. Dave is super endearing in it- I loved it way more than I thought I would.

I haven't watched it yet but it is sitting in my DVR waiting to be viewed.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi I think that last one is illegal! It is here anyways, you can get a ticket for it!

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I can't imagine being a fan of a certain team would be a deal breaker.  How odd?

Anyway I just thought of 2 while taking DH to work?

People who drive stupid low riding cars in the winter in an altitude of 7000 feet or more.  Dude, we got a foot of snow here, you are driving upvalley where they got 2 feet.  Your 1987 Honda CRX just isn't cutting in okay?

Oh the people who refuse to clean off the tops of their cars, in 1-2 feet of snow.   "Yo asshole, it's hard enough out here without worrying when your top is going to come flying off your car into my windshield. " 
    I think in PA this is actually illegal.  I believe that you can get pulled over and cited for shit like that, because it can cause an accident.

I bet this isn't an UO, but the CRX comment made me think of this- mufflers on cars that sound like total shit. . . on purpose.

• Options
    I would never, ever date/marry a Red Sox fan. Sorrynotsorry.

I couldn't get scholarship money to any of the private/ivy league schools I was accepted to because my parents looked like they had a lot of money on paper. All the FAFSA cared about was gross income, not the fact that we were double taxed (NJ state and NYC), had 3 kids under 18 living at home full-time, or that my dad was paying through the nose in child support from his previous marriage. I got offered modest loans to go to one of our state schools (2k/year-ish). I left with 2 degrees and under 7k in total debt. I had to work 3 jobs to pay my tuition bill, but it was still less than had I gone to a private school. I totally get going to whatever school will cost less, but I don't understand the people who go to tiny little private schools for non-specialized degrees. What is the point of accruing 100k+ in student loans when your starting salary won't even cover the minimum monthly loan payment?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    AddieCake said:

I "loved this" and had a mini rant in my brain that in complete agreement with you but after thinking about it I realized I have a very similar deal breaker and I cant say anything about it. I wouldn't be with anyone who listens to country music. My reasoning behind this is that the very sound of my most country songs I hear gives me an automatic headache and having to listen to it on the radio in the car or something would be torture.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    UO- I think private colleges are a waste of money. The small, private colleges in my area run $40-50k a year. I am very confident that my degree from the state university holds the exact same value at 15k per year. My friends who went to the private schools don't have better jobs or better pay than me but they have more debt. I actually think I got more for my money because the university had more diverse background of students, divisional sports teams, state funded research departments, bigger network of internships and alumni.
    I got more scholarship money from my private university than I would have at a public one, so I got out of 4 years with less than $20k in student loan debt.

In other news, this is the longest I've ever seen a thread get without being an endless argument by two opposing sides who have no intention of changing their stance. I don't know if I like this.

PEOPLE WHO LOVE MAYO ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE! I'M GLAD I'M NOT FRIENDS WITH ANYONE LIKE YOU! MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL LOVE ME FOR WRITING "NO MAYO DISHES" ON MY POTLUCK WEDDING INVITATIONS!
    I just clicked on the last page of this thread expecting the worst and was SO happy to see everyone talking about sports and colleges.  Phew!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    AddieCake said:
    Indeed. 
    Honestly, it's indicative of personality. I do specify dating for compatibility reasons; it's not a deal breaker for friendship. As a White Sox fan I'm certainly in the minority in my group of friends. 

Back in high school, people were all about "cool" so I associate things that were "cool" with people I didn't like. DMB fandom epitomizes that unsavory personality of the cool kids. Call me socially scarred. 
    Many cities have multiple teams in the same sport. In Chicago, honestly, Cubs fandom is associated with guys that I just don't jive with, have never jived with, and probably never will jive with, for many reasons. 
    But by contrast, if some guy told me he was a Smashing Pumpkins fan, I'd want to take him home with me right then and there.  If having things in common is a deal-maker, why can't having certain things not in common be a deal-breaker?

• Options
    My UO is that I actually prefer not to wear jeans to work (this is an ongoing friendly debate in our office this week).  I feel weird in jeans when it's not what I normally wear.  Like I somehow brought my weekend alter ego into the office and I don't like it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I can't imagine being a fan of a certain team would be a deal breaker.  How odd?

People who drive stupid low riding cars in the winter in an altitude of 7000 feet or more.  Dude, we got a foot of snow here, you are driving upvalley where they got 2 feet.  Your 1987 Honda CRX just isn't cutting in okay?

Oh the people who refuse to clean off the tops of their cars, in 1-2 feet of snow.   "Yo asshole, it's hard enough out here without worrying when your top is going to come flying off your car into my windshield. " 
    I am quite certain this not a UO...i sincerely hope the @$$holes who find this to be accent able are in fact the holders of UOs
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    beethery said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I love Nirvana but I hate the song "Smells like Teen Spirit". Seriously it is their worst song and waaaay over rated. Also I think Dave Grohl is super hot now but he wasn't when he was in Nirvana. He kind of looked like a monkey then.
    The beard helps him a lot. He is one of my favorite people.

The beard does help a lot for him. He is one of my favorite people too. He is seriously so talented it is unreal. Plus he seems like a super nice guy.
    Did you guys watch SonicHighways? I really liked it even though I didn't love the actual foo fighters songs. Dave is super endearing in it- I loved it way more than I thought I would.
    I haven't, it's recorded on my parents DVR because we plan to watch some of it on Christmas. My dad sends me this when I'm too hyper at work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

He sent it to FI the other day and wrote "Who does this remind you of?"
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I bet this isn't an UO, but the CRX comment made me think of this- mufflers on cars that sound like total shit. . . on purpose.
    What, not a fan of fartcan/angry bumblebee exhausts? 

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I think in PA this is actually illegal.  I believe that you can get pulled over and cited for shit like that, because it can cause an accident.

oh, it is here too.   Doesn't stop a-hole from trying to get away with it though.  Cops can't be everywhere.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    AddieCake said:
    Indeed. 
    Honestly, it's indicative of personality. I do specify dating for compatibility reasons; it's not a deal breaker for friendship. As a White Sox fan I'm certainly in the minority in my group of friends. 

Back in high school, people were all about "cool" so I associate things that were "cool" with people I didn't like. DMB fandom epitomizes that unsavory personality of the cool kids. Call me socially scarred. 
    Many cities have multiple teams in the same sport. In Chicago, honestly, Cubs fandom is associated with guys that I just don't jive with, have never jived with, and probably never will jive with, for many reasons. 
    But by contrast, if some guy told me he was a Smashing Pumpkins fan, I'd want to take him home with me right then and there.  If having things in common is a deal-maker, why can't having certain things not in common be a deal-breaker?
    This.  If you have actually met a real and true Flyers fan, well you wouldn't want to date them either ;-)  Eagles fans might be worse- who the hell boos Santa Clause?!

• Options
    What, not a fan of fartcan/angry bumblebee exhausts? 

Yeah, cause that really looks like a Porsche. . . I mean that's the point, right?  To try and fake females into believeing that your piece of shit car is actually a sprts car with a real engine?

• Options
    My UO is that I actually prefer not to wear jeans to work (this is an ongoing friendly debate in our office this week).  I feel weird in jeans when it's not what I normally wear.  Like I somehow brought my weekend alter ego into the office and I don't like it.
    We were discussing this at work a few weeks ago. Most of us find our jeans are less comfortable than our dress pants, especially the women. I hate jeans because I'm short but require a longer rise - not something you can get in a petite length, and I refuse to pay the fortune to have my jeans professionally hemmed. So yea, most of my jeans are either entirely too baggy to be worn to work or they feel like they're constantly trying to go up my crotch.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards