Chit Chat
Options

Another Reason to Hate Gofundme

My brother posted a similar article to this on Facebook the other day and I kinda felt the need to throw up the entire time I read it. I'm not sure why I was surprised. Three different GFM's have been set up for Officer Darren Wilson - totaling in the neighborhood of $1 million dollars. :-( 

Re: Another Reason to Hate Gofundme

• Options
    I am not at all surprised by this.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Whoooooooo! Profiting off of the murder of an unarmed teenager! What a totally stand-up dude.
  • Options
    Like, what exactly are they raising money for? He wasn't indicted, so he doesn't need a defense fund.
  • Options
    Like, what exactly are they raising money for? He wasn't indicted, so he doesn't need a defense fund.

I think the rationale is, "Well, his police career is down the tubes, and people still want to murder him, so... maybe he could use money?"

Presumably, those who assume he was acting within his rights and think that he's now got to deal with an unfair ton of shit "just want to help the guy out."

• Options
    I wouldn't give to Shanesha Taylor or Jahi McMath's mother, either.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I dont see this thread going well.

I'd gif popcorn, but I'm on mobile.

Anniversary
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    If it doesn't go well we know who the stupids are
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    Meh. So? 

I don't like the attitude that we shouldn't discuss emotionally-charged or especially political topics because things might get ugly. That's how important changes happen. By people speaking out against bullshit.  Not saying that you have this attitude (because I have no idea). It's just a general sentiment that i've been seeing here by a few posters.
  • Options
    I think it's just a sad situation all around. But even if the officer did nothing wrong, even if he felt his life was threatened, even if Michael Brown had been armed in some way (which obviously he wasn't) and even if this officer was unfairly villainized, (seriously, a lot of IFs here!) does he deserve a Go Fund Me page? NO. 

I say that about 99% of crowd funding things. I just don't like them. And I don't think one is necessary in this situation at all. 
  • Options
    I think it's just a sad situation all around. But even if the officer did nothing wrong, even if he felt his life was threatened, even if Michael Brown had been armed in some way (which obviously he wasn't) and even if this officer was unfairly villainized, (seriously, a lot of IFs here!) does he deserve a Go Fund Me page? NO. 

I say that about 99% of crowd funding things. I just don't like them. And I don't think one is necessary in this situation at all. 

Yeah, crowdfunding generally doesn't make sense to me. It generally rubs me the wrong way when people just ask for a handout on behalf of themselves or their friends. Generally asking the internet to take care of you should not be your primary plan of action.

There's a Mexican restaurant in Ferguson which was damaged somewhat and which has definitely lost business. They're struggling to keep it open. They set up a GoFundMe page, which hasn't gotten much action. One of our associate pastors knows them from when he was pastor of the Catholic church in Ferguson, and he helped them open the place. Instead of asking our parish just to donate to them, though, he set himself up as their "tamale salesman" - the restaurant would bring as many tamales out to the parish as they could make, and they'd be available after Masses. We sold out midway through the line after the 2nd of 4 Masses.

I really liked that instead of asking people to "fix it with your money" he set up an opportunity for the business owners to sell their own work product and make their money.

I like that too. There are very creative, logical, pragmatic, and effective ways to raise money without going "hey internet! wah, give me money!" 
  • Options
    Regardless of how I feel about the situation surrounding Michael Brown and his death, I think a GoFundMe for Officer Wilson is completely inappropriate. He is no longer employed. People every day lose their jobs. This is a fact of life. This is why you have emergency funds and unemployment. There are far worthier causes to donate to than a person who lost their job and is perfectly capable of getting another one.
  • Options

Try turning the thread off and on again.

Ma'am, is it plugged in?
  • Options
    As if I needed one

• Options
    Re: Inappropriate GoFundMe

Guuyysss I just saw a GoFundMe set up for a CAT. This girl found a cat and since she can't find his owner, has decided to be oh so super "speshul" and take him in! But she needs the funds to take care of it. Donate so she can feed the cat and buy it a litter box!

-.- girl. You are 27 years old. NO.

image   image   image

• Options
    Re: Inappropriate GoFundMe Guuyysss I just saw a GoFundMe set up for a CAT. This girl found a cat and since she can't find his owner, has decided to be oh so super "speshul" and take him in! But she needs the funds to take care of it. Donate so she can feed the cat and buy it a litter box! -.- girl. You are 27 years old. NO.

Feck. Stuck in the box.

We could start a whole thread on this bidness. I saw a GFM on a community page on Facebook. She was fired from her job as a dog groomer 2 weeks before Christmas (GASP!) so she set up a GFM for herself for Christmas presents and to start her dog grooming business. Hmm. If you got fired from your dog grooming job, maybe you just suck as a dog groomer?

• Options
    Guys. My sister started a GFM (the batshit crazy bitch sister) about SHOES. She wanted to start her own line of shoes, so give her money. I don't know the details. I was too pissed at her (about her being a bitch to me) to ever click on it, but I thought it was really fucking stupid. 
  • Options
    Guys. My sister started a GFM (the batshit crazy bitch sister) about SHOES. She wanted to start her own line of shoes, so give her money. I don't know the details. I was too pissed at her (about her being a bitch to me) to ever click on it, but I thought it was really fucking stupid. 
    OHMG WAIT! I don't know much about GFM... does their have to be a pretense of charity? Because if not, this gives me a brilliant idea! I love shoes. Guyz I really love them. And I have student loans. Because I have to pay my student loans, I can't buy shoes. Can I set up a GFM for shoes!?!?!? People could give me money for shoes????? And then if there's anything leftover, I could start on a purse collection!!!!!!!
  • Options
    OHMG WAIT! I don't know much about GFM... does their have to be a pretense of charity? Because if not, this gives me a brilliant idea! I love shoes. Guyz I really love them. And I have student loans. Because I have to pay my student loans, I can't buy shoes. Can I set up a GFM for shoes!?!?!? People could give me money for shoes????? And then if there's anything leftover, I could start on a purse collection!!!!!!!
    I don't know if it has to be charity but she threw is some bullshit about helping people with cancer by selling them fancy high heels to wear to chemo so they can "kick cancer's ass." Like I said, I don't know the details, but I got the impression that she was not going to donate these shoes, she wanted to sell them, and they would be sold to anyone. If it was genuinely a charity for helping cancer patients I would back that up because something like that could be a great idea, but to me it just seemed like some lameass money-making scheme by an amateur "designer" who's desperate for attention. 
  • Options
    I don't know if it has to be charity but she threw is some bullshit about helping people with cancer by selling them fancy high heels to wear to chemo so they can "kick cancer's ass." Like I said, I don't know the details, but I got the impression that she was not going to donate these shoes, she wanted to sell them, and they would be sold to anyone. If it was genuinely a charity for helping cancer patients I would back that up because something like that could be a great idea, but to me it just seemed like some lameass money-making scheme by an amateur "designer" who's desperate for attention. 
    I noticed I used the wrong form of "their" in all of my excitement and now I can't focus on anything else.
  • Options

Holy shit, you can do that?  I am starting a go fund me for this pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes.  You ladies will totally donate, right?

• Options
    Didn't someone start a gofund me to make like egg salad or something?

I think shoes are more legit need then that. Also more expensive.
  • Options
    My brother's wife's sister started a GFM for my nephew who has leukemia and is in chemo.

Am I safe? 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards