Outdoor Weddings
Options

Managing an outdoor garden wedding without a DJ?

I am getting married outdoors at a small historic garden location in April and we are not having a DJ or dancing. There is only a small area that could possibly be used for dancing surrounding a large oak tree and it is uneven brick...Due to the location and historic nature we are also suggesting everyone wear flats. We hope that everyone (minus the few grandmothers that can't get around as easily) will go explore the gardens and once its dark we're on our way out. But the gardens and the outdoors is what we are hoping to share with everyone. We will have a string duo that will play for 2 hours. Right before the ceremony, the ceremony and then after for the remainder of the two hours. We might set up a small speaker somewhere after for background music (I'm thinking instrumental only). We also are not having a sit down dinner, just heavy appetizers and cake.  

I'm not sure how to go about everything though without a DJ to act as an MC, and even if we did have a DJ people could be anywhere in the gardens. I thought about using a central chalkboard with times for our entrance back into the garden where tables would be set up, cake cutting, sparkler send off, etc. We are also not doing a bouquet toss or garter toss, first dance, none of that (I know I've already been told I have to do these traditional things....but we are not). Any thoughts?

Re: Managing an outdoor garden wedding without a DJ?

• Options
    cmj128 said:
    I am getting married outdoors at a small historic garden location in April and we are not having a DJ or dancing. There is only a small area that could possibly be used for dancing surrounding a large oak tree and it is uneven brick...Due to the location and historic nature we are also suggesting everyone wear flats. We hope that everyone (minus the few grandmothers that can't get around as easily) will go explore the gardens and once its dark we're on our way out. But the gardens and the outdoors is what we are hoping to share with everyone. We will have a string duo that will play for 2 hours. Right before the ceremony, the ceremony and then after for the remainder of the two hours. We might set up a small speaker somewhere after for background music (I'm thinking instrumental only). We also are not having a sit down dinner, just heavy appetizers and cake.  

I'm not sure how to go about everything though without a DJ to act as an MC, and even if we did have a DJ people could be anywhere in the gardens. I thought about using a central chalkboard with times for our entrance back into the garden where tables would be set up, cake cutting, sparkler send off, etc. We are also not doing a bouquet toss or garter toss, first dance, none of that (I know I've already been told I have to do these traditional things....but we are not). Any thoughts?
    To the first bolded - don't tell people what to wear. Just tell them it's outside on uneven terrain and people will figure it out for themselves.

To the second bolded - what time is your wedding? If it's during meal time, you  need to serve a meal. Also, when you say it's not a "sit down" dinner, are you providing places for everyone to sit? If not, reconsider - everyone must have a place to sit down if they want to.

I highly recommend speakers and a mic - nothing worse than not being able to hear the ceremony, vows, etc. A sound system and mic can be rented from most rental companies and shouldn't cost much to rent for the day. Someone should be designated to announce when things are happening "cake cutting will be in 5 minutes" or whatever. Many people are bummed when they miss these things.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards