Chit Chat
Options

Magazine Subscriptions

What magazines do you subscribe to?

I have subscriptions to InStyle, Vogue, Elle, Allure, and Glamour. They are great light reads for commutes or flights. . .but they can get heavy!

I may reup my sub to Real Simple. . .

Anyone subscribe to any food related magazines? Which would you recommend?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Re: Magazine Subscriptions

• Options
    The people who lived here before me apparently didn't forward their magazines, so I now have a subscription to Sunset magazine, I guess. 
  • Options
    Haha! What is that?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Cuisine magazine has really awesome recipes, but some of them can be pretty involved with fancy ingredients and such. Nonetheless the food in there is always fantastic and unique, and no need to alter the recipes. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Cooking Light is a really good food magazine. Most of the recipes are quick, easy, and fairly healthy but delicious. I haven't been disappointed yet.

The only magazine I subscribe to though is The Week. I'm a news junkie :P
  • Options
    It appears to be about the Western states, in general. There are recipes, though! I like recipes. 

I also got a Family Circle magazine the other day. I prefer the Sunset magazine. 

Years ago, I had a subscription to La Cucina Italiana and liked it a lot, but they apparently no longer have an English version. If you can read Italian, though, I highly recommend it. 
  • Options
    We're getting Money Sense soon, from a school fundraiser for work.  And I ordered a kids French one for my niece for Christmas.  

• Options
    I second Cooking Light, and really like Food Network Magazine and Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get Taste of Home and Simple & Delicious.  Love them both.  I don't get any others anymore because they usually pile up and I don't read them.
  • Options
    We get People.  I know, I know.  But it's DH's "reading" material when he has to go to the bathroom.

He also gets Bon Appetite.       

We also get Rachel Ray's magazine.    We have NO idea why.  DH HATES Rachel and we have never once paid for a subscription.    We have been getting it for almost 2 years now.    Every month we are like "WTF?".  Then think it's the last one.   We both check our accounts every month to see if there is a charge.  Nothing. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    InStyle. And I'm thinking of maybe getting one for Cooks Illustrated.
  • Options
    I get Spanish Elle on my iPad because I like to read stuff in Spanish occasionally to maintain fluency, and the selection up here is nonexistent. That's it! I'm more of a book/blog girl.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any. When I go on a flight I specifically buy 2 or 3 at the store but that's it. 

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    We get People.  I know, I know.  But it's DH's "reading" material when he has to go to the bathroom.

We also get Rachel Ray's magazine.    We have NO idea why.  DH HATES Rachel and we have never once paid for a subscription.    We have been getting it for almost 2 years now.    Every month we are like "WTF?".  Then think it's the last one.   We both check our accounts every month to see if there is a charge.  Nothing. 
    Every time I see Rachel Ray's face, I hiss. I can't stand her. H thinks it's hilarious, so I keep it up for him.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    sophhabobophasophhabobopha member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    I don't have any. When I go on a flight I specifically buy 2 or 3 at the store but that's it. 
    Same here.
    FSIL gives me her fashion/makeup ones when she's done with them though. Good for poops.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

And he's a chef so that mag must be good, right?

Insider info is good, mwahaha!

• Options
    I think he got it because his co-worker's kid was selling magazines for school and he felt the need to buy something.

He does read it though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Food Network Magazine is all I get now. At one point I was getting Cooking Light and Better Homes and Gardens too. I let Cooking Light lapse because after getting it two years I noticed they recycled recipes quite a bit, so I was seeing the same things over and over. It was great while it lasted though.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I canceled all my magazines when my condo didn't have recycling. I should subscribe on my Kindle but just haven't. I love Allure, Shape, Self and Marie Claire.

Edit: love, not live.

• Options
    I used to have Allure and I plan on renewing that as soon as our finances get straightened out! I love that magazine!

image   image   image

• Options
    National Geographic (I know I'm a dork), Smithsonian (I got this for free), and Rolling Stone
  • Options
    I don't subscribe to any, though I am supposed to get two free issues of Food & Wine and Travel & Leisure at some point.  
    I just don't feel the need to subscribe to anything.  I'll buy an issue of Brides, The Knot, or Elle Decor once in a while.  Next week I'm buying the February/March issue of Brides, and later this month, the spring issue of Martha Stewart Weddings.

As for food magazines, I like Food & Wine magazine.  Saveur is good also.    
  • Options
    I was subscribed to Taste of Home.  My mom got it for me for two years as a gift subscription.  But it's expired so now I'm debating whether to ask her if she was planning to renew it and forgot (if she doesn't want to do it anymore, that's totally cool) or if I should just renew it without saying anything.  I want my Taste of Home!  I get 95 percent of my recipes from the magazine and the website.  The other 5 percent are from my mom's best recipes I have on my computer.

I would like to subscribe to a fitness magazine. Possibly Runner's World since I'd like to get back into running.  I also have a gift subscription to World magazine, which is a bi-weekly news magazine.

I just downloaded the Issuu app and read tabloids on there.  It's like a train wreck, you can't look away from the trashy magazines!
  • Options
    I subscribe to Vanity Fair on my iPad. It's great, the app is really interactive and - no waste!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a mystery subscription to Vogue, which I don't read. I never paid for it, but it shows up every month with my name on it. Before that it was Rolling Stone. I have no idea who got it for me, but it followed me to each address I've had since college without me ever updating it. I feel kind of bad just throwing/giving them away because they were a gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Southern Living, Vogue, and FMIL got me a subscription to Saveur for Christmas.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I subscribe to This Old House. I have been thinking about subscribing to Cooks Illustrated. I used to have Allure and Vogue, but those got boring after a while. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    Food Network Magazine is all I get now. At one point I was getting Cooking Light and Better Homes and Gardens too. I let Cooking Light lapse because after getting it two years I noticed they recycled recipes quite a bit, so I was seeing the same things over and over. It was great while it lasted though.
    Yeah, I noticed that too, which is why I don't subscribe to it, but for a while I bought it every month. Now I only buy it if I like the cover. I tore out all the pages with good recipes and put them in a big binder inside page protectors cuz I'm neurotic like that, and then threw the actual magazines away. It's a pretty damn good cookbook. 
  • Options
    Garden & Gun and Southern Living, because I am my mother already. 
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    maeday2 said:
    Garden & Gun and Southern Living, because I am my mother already. 
    Garden & Gun? That's a real thing?

Please, no one take this the wrong way, but that is the most wonderfully American thing I've ever seen. I love it. Don't ever change. Sincerely.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @amelisha Yes and it is just as wonderful as it sounds. Southern culture on steroids. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards