Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Grooms family not included in pictures as much as brides!!!! Grooms mother IRRRRRRAAAATEEEEEE!

I married the love of my life 12/13/14. Wedding went perfect and I mean PERFECT!!!! Problem was afterwards- the photographer sent a link to around 150 pictures; which every single picture was awesome! I forwarded the link to my mother in law and she mentioned there weren't many still shots of the grooms family. I agreed, but while we were doing the traditional shots following the ceremony the photographer said "we're one family now" so I just assumed that everyone was ok with talking group family photos verses separate family photos. I'd already taken ones with my immediate family only. So I do believe because I'd already done mine we should have done his family photos. But while in the moment of everything I didn't think about his family photos. Also the photographer once finished with the still shots mentioned there will be many opportunities to take photos with family during the reception. This morning I received a call from the mother of the groom- and she is irate about there not being any photos of their family. Back tracking- my husband and I paid for the entire wedding, but the cake that the grooms parents paid for. Mother of groom has contacted the photographer herself and expressed her anger ( of course in a nice way). However I don't know that she should be as upset and I'm wondering is it traditional for the photographer to take individual family photos- or am I in the wrong? Also he is a more of a movement photographer verses a still shooter. So there are incredible pictures of the reception on the dance floor and during the ceremony. The photographer mentioned he gravitates towards the bride and groom and apologized if he felt he didn't capture the pictures she wanted. But didn't want to leave us the bride and groom to capture those sitting down?

Help is this something anyone has experienced.

Re: Grooms family not included in pictures as much as brides!!!! Grooms mother IRRRRRRAAAATEEEEEE!

• Options
    I haven't experienced this, but just wanted to throw out that I thought that individual family photos were pretty standard. As far as I know, all of my friends who are married had at least one photo of the groom with his family, the bride with her family, the bride and groom with the groom's family, and the bride and groom with the bride's family.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    While she should have never contacted the photographer, if your family did posed portraits I can understand why she is upset. That is a once in a lifetime thing and all 4 of my DD's posed with both families. Uh our dh needs to talk to her and work this out. DID you pose with your family?
  • Options
    As PPs said, she should not have contacted your vendor since she did not pay or contract with him.
    You should however have taken a family photo with the groom's family that did not include your family. I completely understand why she is irate. I would be as well if I was her. If you had only taken B&G portraits it would be one thing, but since you have taken formal portraits with your family you offended her by not showing the same respect and desire to have photos with your husband's immediate family.

You and your husband should talk to her and apologize profusely. I would offer to pay for a family portrait session with his family. She just wanted a formal photo of her family, with you...it's not an unreasonable request, especially since you took one or more with your immediate family.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I also agree that there should have been a photo of the grooms family... but didn't she notice that day they never posed for one? Why is she surprised a month later that there isn't one?

I missed so many formals that I wanted but I at least got the basics. I wish I had given my photographer a specific list of the breakdowns (grrr I knew better too).

Anniversary
  • Options
    dave1photodave1photo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    this is a bad situation but not an impossible thing to fix.  What I sometimes do is to ask whether the family or guests got any photo's.  In your case they may not have gotten any shots of posed groups, but there may be shots that the MOG likes that your photographer didn't get. 

So what I do is I ask for those shots, from family and friends, and I include them in the group that the B&G go through to pick for their album.  So there's shots of the grooms family in the main album. 

I also would ask for similar photo's of the grooms family so that I could include these in with the ones that the grooms mom can go through to do a parent album for "their side" of the family.

So not getting the photo's is certainly not good.  But you may still be able to work a situation so that you can avoid a real disaster.

(edited by mod)
  • Options
    Did your photographer not ask for a detailed family list? Ours did and it helped a lot because it ensured we got all those obligatory family photos so no one would be upset. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards