Chit Chat
Options

How often do you wash your hair?

Really random, I know...Dry shampoo has pretty much revolutionized my hair's life.  I used to wash my hair everyday, but I can now go sometimes once every 2 days.  How often do ya'll wash your hair?  Do you have dry shampoo favorites or recommendations??

Re: How often do you wash your hair?

• Options
    I wash my hair every other day usually.  As far as dry shampoo goes, I actually think baby powder works best.  You just have to be careful that you don't put too much on - I've looked like I was going gray before lol
  • Options
    Every day. I'm cursed with terrible hair - super dry, frizzy and not quite curly but more than just wavy. Plus it get super greasy overnight, sometimes even by the end of the day. My mom has always had the same problem. So I wash it every morning and straighten it. I don't think I could ever try to train my hair to go every other day because I would look straight up disgusting.
  • Options
    I wash my hair almost every day.  Some mornings when I wake up late for work I throw it up in a bun to help cut down on my getting ready time, but if I want to wear my hair down I have to wash it.  If I don't it just feels gross and does not have the shine or volume as it would if it were freshly washed.

• Options
    dcbride86 said:
    I wash my hair every other day usually.  As far as dry shampoo goes, I actually think baby powder works best.  You just have to be careful that you don't put too much on - I've looked like I was going gray before lol
    Agreed! I wash my hair pretty much every day but sometimes I can skip a day. If my roots look a little oily I just sprinkle on some baby powder and kind of tap it into my roots so you can't see any white. I've tried a few different brands of dry shampoos and they all worked OK but I felt like they made my roots kind of gunky and gross. 
  • Options
    Mostly every day. Sometimes I skip a day on the weekends. 
  • Options
    plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

I'm going to have to try the baby powder.  I have super dark hair at my roots, so I will have to be careful and not use too much I think. 

ETA:  I never thought I would be able to go a day or two without washing my hair because it has always been greasy on top, dry on the ends, but I tried it one day, and just pushed thru and now I like the way my hair looks better when its been a day or two rather than washed.. Which is super weird for me.

• Options
    I've trained my hair to go 3-4 days without shampooing. Boom.
    What is this witchcraft and how do you do that? 
  • Options
    @novella1186 you just gotta use baby powder/dry shampoo and push thru the greasy days! Your hair will get used to it after a while.
  • Options
    I have to wash my hair every day that I don't want to look like I could solve the oil crisis.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I overwash my hair because I have a thing with cleanliness & showering. When I don't wash my hair I don't feel as clean, but I try to go every other day without washing it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I wash everyday. 

I have issues. 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    I overwash my hair because I have a thing with cleanliness & showering. When I don't wash my hair I don't feel as clean, but I try to go every other day without washing it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I wash everyday. 

I have issues. 
    Right, I feel like this too. For some reason I don't feel like my face is as clean if I wash it in the sink, even though it's the same water, same cleanser, etc. Just seems cleaner when I wash my face in the shower. And obviously my hair doesn't feel clean when I haven't washed it at all. And then I feel gross. I need to get over that nonsense. 

Also when the weather is cold I love taking showers just as a way to warm up. Because I'm cold all the time and I get so sick of it, so by the end of the day all I wanna do is take a super hot shower and then bundle up in my pajamas and my fuzzy robe and not be so cold anymore. 
  • Options
    Twice a week. It's quite dry and has some damage from stripping red out of it last spring, so it doesn't get oily at all - in fact, after three days, the problem is that the ends are dry and need conditioning badly. I wear it up most of the time too so that helps.

I use a big headband at the gym to hold it back and I rinse the front if I am sweaty that day, but I don't sweat a lot either, luckily.

My hair is in way better condition since I stopped washing it so much after the dye stripping. Recommended.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ElcaB said:

I have issues. 
    I'm with you on this too. If I don't wash my hair, I don't feel clean. Same with shaving my legs every day. When we went out the sailing trip earlier this year, I didn't wash my hair for 2 days and I felt so out of sorts. 
  • Options
    @novella1186 you just gotta use baby powder/dry shampoo and push thru the greasy days! Your hair will get used to it after a while.
    Oh, it's far more than baby powder/dry shampoo. That's just a small component haha

When I wash my hair I use maxi wash from Kevin Murphy. It is for colored hair and strips the oils and product and gunk out of your hair. It doesn't make it super dry, but for me with my super oily scalp, it calms my scalp down for a day so it doesn't go all crazy with the oils. Also, it helps me with my flakiness from the products I use. (I have a weird scalp).

So: Maxi wash, massaging into my problem areas, sit for 3-4 minutes (However long it takes me to soap up and wash off)
    Then I maxi wash again but in sections (I only do this because I have SUPER oily hair), so the underneath parts and sides. Sit for 2-3mins.
    Regular shampoo
    Kevin Murphy born again mask for 5-7 mins on mids to ends only. NEVER on my roots. 

Then I either curl to style or flat iron. If I curl, I freshen my curls every morning with a little water on my hands and a diffuser, dry shampoo on the roots. Flat iron gets a dry shampoo and powder puff and some backcombing.

But yeah, like today, I'm on day 4 and I'll probably go one more day without washing my hair.

• Options
    Oh, it's far more than baby powder/dry shampoo. That's just a small component haha

When I wash my hair I use maxi wash from Kevin Murphy. It is for colored hair and strips the oils and product and gunk out of your hair. It doesn't make it super dry, but for me with my super oily scalp, it calms my scalp down for a day so it doesn't go all crazy with the oils. Also, it helps me with my flakiness from the products I use. (I have a weird scalp).

So: Maxi wash, massaging into my problem areas, sit for 3-4 minutes (However long it takes me to soap up and wash off)
    Then I maxi wash again but in sections (I only do this because I have SUPER oily hair), so the underneath parts and sides. Sit for 2-3mins.
    Regular shampoo
    Kevin Murphy born again mask for 5-7 mins on mids to ends only. NEVER on my roots. 

Then I either curl to style or flat iron. If I curl, I freshen my curls every morning with a little water on my hands and a diffuser, dry shampoo on the roots. Flat iron gets a dry shampoo and powder puff and some backcombing.

But yeah, like today, I'm on day 4 and I'll probably go one more day without washing my hair.

I've never heard of maxi wash.  Is it expensive?
  • Options
    Every 2-3 days. It doesn't usually get oily too fast and I have a lot of hair plus it's thick so it takes too much time to wash. I usually wear my hair up because I have awful hair and I hate it. 

• Options

Regular shampoo

I've never heard of maxi wash.  Is it expensive?
    It is, but you can get a little trial bottle for like 5$. At least I can at my salon. I love Kevin Murphy products. I won't buy anything else.

• Options
    I generally wash my hair every day and a half. I'll wash it Monday morning, then Tuesday night, then Thursday morning, etc. It sounds obsessive compulsive, I know, but I've found that every day was too much, and every other day was not enough, so this was a compromise that keeps my hair nice and my schedule manageable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I too have mega oily hair and need to wash it every day if it's down. It'll even be greasy by the end of the day. 

I've tried a few dry shampoos and didn't like 'em. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Also when the weather is cold I love taking showers just as a way to warm up. Because I'm cold all the time and I get so sick of it, so by the end of the day all I wanna do is take a super hot shower and then bundle up in my pajamas and my fuzzy robe and not be so cold anymore. 
    Best. Feeling. Ever.

• Options
    I wash it every other day, pretty much. I honestly don't think there's ever been a time in my life where I didn't; certainly not since I was old enough to be responsible for my own personal hygiene. I wash on a schedule - before work Monday, before work Wednesday, and before work Friday. Sometimes it's the night before, but most times it's that morning. 

My hair does much better on this schedule. I can't go more time than that because it's disgusting (which is why my long break is over a weekend), and if I go less it's unmanageable. It's really thick, and mostly curly, and I can only brush it when it's wet or straight, because if I brush it dry/curly it looks like this:

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Everyday.
  • Options
    Once a week, though my bangs get done in the sink every 2 days.  I hate how they look otherwise.  Dry shampoo never really worked well for me, although I was super excited to try it when it first came out.  

• Options
    I have super curly "mixed"  hair. It does not do well when I wash it frequently. I usually wash it every 5-7 days. Sometimes more often depending on if I've been cycling a lot (helmet hair is no one's friend) or if I need to style it. Usually, I can style it on a Sunday night and be good at least until Friday.
  • Options
    Twice a week. It doesn't really get greasy, and looks best on the second or third day. I haven't found a dry shampoo that I like and I don't normally need it anyway, but if the roots do seem a little greasy I'll brush on some cornstarch with a fluffy makeup brush and that does the trick.

I put it up in a loose bun on the top of my head when I sleep, and try not to touch it a lot during the day. It's the oils from my face/hands that seem to make it get dirty faster. If I can keep from touching it, 4 days is a breeze.

• Options
    Every 2-4, sometimes 4 days. My hair is super thick, and dry - It could probably go a full week or more before looking greasy.

I prefer dry shampoo to baby powder because of the mess factor.
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    Every other day. My hair is very fine so it shows grease. Newsflash! You can take a shower and not wash your hair!

Yes! and the time it saves in the morning when you don't have to wash your hair is worth it to me.
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    Every other day. My hair is very fine so it shows grease. Newsflash! You can take a shower and not wash your hair!
    If I don't wash my hair in the shower it makes it more obvious that my hair is a dirty greaseball.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards