Wedding Invitations & Paper

Quick Wording Help!

Hi guys,

I've decided on these invitations (http://www.theamericanwedding.com/skyla-wedding-invitations-real-foil-invitation.html) - thanks 40% off coupons! :)

Please let me know how this wording sounds (caps and lack thereof per the formatting/fonts of the invitation, but I can change): 

with great pleasure and joy

Jennifer and Anatole

we invite you to our wedding

THE FOURTH OF OCTOBER
TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN
AT 3 O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON
RENAISSANCE EVENT HALL
ASTORIA, NEW YORK

dining and dancing to follow 

I have a feeling that there are some "no nos" here, particuarly the "dining and dancing to follow" FWIW, the reception is at the same venue as the ceremony, we're having a cocktail hour immediately after the ceremony (4-5) & sit down dinner & reception (5-9), full open bar throughout. 

Thoughts on how to fix?

Re: Quick Wording Help!

• If you and your FI are self-hosting, the right wording is

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    on Day, Date
    at time
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

You would use "The honor of your presence is requested" if the ceremony is taking place in a house of worship.

If your parents are hosting, the correct wording is

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    request the pleasure of your company/honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First and Middle Names (Last Name if different from parents)
    to
    Groom's Full Name
    (son of
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents)-note: this is not traditional
    etc.

If both sets of parents are co-hosting, you can use

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents
    request the pleasure of your company/honor of your parents
    at the marriage of their children
    Bride
    and
    Groom
    etc.

If you are all hosting together or have complex family situations, you can use

Together with their parents
    (Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents)
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company/honor of your presence
    as they are united in marriage
    etc.

If the reception is at the same location at the ceremony, put "Reception to follow." If it's at another location, include a separate insert worded as follows:

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

No mention should be made of the type of hospitality offered at the reception, like "dinner and dancing."
  • aquietseasonaquietseason member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for your prompt reply, appreciate it! We're hosting & paying, so that makes life easy. No family tree needed on the invites :) 

To be honest, I'm a bit ehhh on the design now as it looks a ton more cluttered with all those words (removed link)

Does it reaaaallyyyyy have to have our last names and the full address? The numbers on the address just look so weird to me (is there an alternate way to type it?), and our names have to be shrunk to tiny font to make our last names fit.

Also just general mini rant -- it's quite frustrating how many invites out there have lovely designs, but can only be used with their really wonky and incorrect wording.
  • You should have your last name written on the invitation, as that is what is proper.  Does the design around your names stretch?  So if you did this:

Bride's Full Name
    And
    Groom's Full Name

The design around it would expand to allow the multiple lines for your names? 

Also, I would either delete that sample invite or change all of the wording to match the same amount of letters in your names and the event space - internet safety and all.

• Removed link, thanks!

And yep I tried that, if you add a line they overlap over each other. I can maybe call and ask if they can adjust, but I'm probably just going to use a different design so I can have all the correct wording. (though he has a very unique first name, so it's not like people would mistake us for the other Jen and Anatole getting married, lol!)
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

THE PLEASURE OF YOUR COMPANY IS REQUESTED
    AT THE MARRIAGE OF

Jennifer Full Name
    and
    Anatole Full Name

SATURDAY, THE FOURTH OF OCTOBER
    TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN
    AT THREE O'CLOCK
    RENAISSANCE EVENT HALL
    ASTORIA, NEW YORK

Reception to follow
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    The above post is the correct form.  You never directly invite people to your own wedding.  This form does not list a host.  I, personally, dislike all caps.  That is just my own opinion, and there is nothing wrong with using all caps.
    You should never describe the kind of food and entertainment at your reception.  No "dinner and dancing.
    A wedding invitation is a formal note from the hosts (yourselves) to the guests, telling them who, what, when and where - not WHY!  Please, no "great pleasure and joy".  It lengthens your invitation unnecessarily, and it is icky-poo sweet IMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards