Destination Weddings Discussions

Eloping in WA state

Hi! Okay, I really need help. My fiancé and I are planning on eloping in Washington in December, 2015. We live in Texas however. Now my question is, should we just get a marriage license in TX and just have a ceremony in WA that is unofficial but just simply for us. Or should we be going about this differently and get a marriage license in WA. Also who should marry us? We really wanted to have a family member do it or a close friend that will be with us. I just need help all around! 

Re: Eloping in WA state

• Hi!! Love this idea, although I'm probably biased since I'm from Washington :) With regard to the marriage license you can do whatever is best for you, although a lot of people on this forum will tell you it's pointless to get married before your ceremony. I can tell you it's super easy to get a marriage license in WA though so I would just do that if I were you. You don't have to be a resident, you can just show up with photo ID. You would have to be in WA a few days in advance though because there is a three day waiting period. I would call the auditor's office in whatever county you plan to marry to get advice on specific details.
  • It doesn't sound like you are eloping if someone you know will be marrying you (and it sounds like your family will know, too). It sounds more like a private or intimate destination wedding.

That being said, it's always proper etiquette to become legally married during your ceremony. So, I recommend that you obtain your license in WA and have it be legal after you say your vows. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards