Registry and Gift Forum

Last valentine's day as boyfriend/girlfriend... help me choose a gift!

Hey Everyone,  

I realize it is a bit early to be posting about Valentine's day, but with all the wedding plans I really want to choose something special now, order it, and have one less thing on my plate to worry about.

So I'm getting married in September 2015 and this will be my last Valentine's day with my fiancé before marriage and I really want to make it count. I have narrowed it done to 3 different ideas, all of them have symbolism and meaning. If you all could help me make one less decision that would be fantastic! 

Ok, so here it goes...

Meaning: So my very sweet Swedish fiancé is always asking me for the time, and contrary to Swedish stereotypes is always running late. While he can always check the time on his cell, I really like the simplicity and elegance of this design. And hey, maybe this would solve one of our tiff starters. 

2) The gift for US - http://vkm.is/happyweek

Meaning: Ok, so I found this and it looks adorable. It's a game for couples to play together that provides 40 surprise pre-planned dates. I really like this gift bc with our hectic schedules, and now with planning a wedding...I feel like we really haven't had much "us time" and I really miss us just having fun together!

Meaning: Ok, like I have said my soon to be hubby is Swedish and they are BIG into "fika" which is like tea time/coffee break. However, my fiancé is a tea connoisseur, so I thought this would be a really nice addition for our home (although I'm more into coffee than tea). Also, we are seriously considering to travel to Asia for our honeymoon, so this could be a sweet precursor to our trip.

-------

We both are quite creative and really like the idea of supporting start ups so thats why all these come from kickstarted or similar. I like them all! Not sure what to do... BTW, needless to say I'm trying not to spend a small fortune, so buying all three is not possible.

HELP, PLEASE! I feel like I can't make any more decisions. Thanks so much and I wish you all stress-free wedding planning (if that's even possible)! ;)

The girl who is tired of making decisions - Chloe :)

Re: Last valentine's day as boyfriend/girlfriend... help me choose a gift!

• I vote for the game b/c of the romance factor, but I don't get why you feel you need to make this Valentine's Day especially count since it is your last as a dating couple. It's not like your last night alone before you have a baby. Valentine's Day married is pretty much gonna be the same as Valentine's Day engaged or dating. All those gifts would be nice any time.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Hey Addie! 

Thanks for the advice! 

I know things won't really change once we are married, but Valentine's is quite symbolic for us - it's when we "officially" began dating - boyfriend and girlfriend (I realize these days it's a bit cheesy)... But I always like to make it extra special. 
  • Ok, so take your wedding out of the equation and stop focusing on "our last one as a dating couple".  You like to go all out for the day regardless.  So, what would you have gotten him if you weren't getting married in September?

I would like to point out that #1 is really a gift for you, not him though, unless he has expressly stated that he really wants a watch but has been having a hard time finding one he likes.  I hate wearing watches (or bracelets or anything on my wrists - I work on a computer all day, it's annoying and uncomfortable when typing).  Most people I know are almost always within five feet of a computer or a phone and use them to tell time.  My SO doesn't like wearing a watch and uses his phone.  He always carries his phone and I really don't like carrying my phone with me so I commonly ask him or other friends to be the timekeeper when we're out.  Them buying me a watch wouldn't help - I wouldn't wear it (plus, I already own watches that I don't wear).  I'm also chronically 15 minutes late and I was that way even when I used to wear a watch - it has nothing to do with not knowing the time because I'm not wearing a watch and everything to do with my thinking I can always fit in just one more thing or not realizing how long something might actually take me.  (I also have a friend who is chronically 15 minutes late for everything and she does wear a watch.)

#1 just seems like a passive aggressive way of saying you're annoyed with being the timekeeper and him being late, so I wouldn't go with that.

• Instead of thinking present or event as what makes things special this Valentines Day, do something that is about spending magic time together, just enjoying each others company in some nice place or at home. The closer you get to the wedding the less time you get for being lovers with no thought of plans for the future.
  • What a very weird title. What an odd way of perceiving things. 
    You realize that you're still the same people after marriage? You can still spend Valentine's day together, and exchange gifts? It will still be symbolic? It isn't the"last" anything.

• Hey Addie! 

Thanks for the advice! 

I know things won't really change once we are married, but Valentine's is quite symbolic for us - it's when we "officially" began dating - boyfriend and girlfriend (I realize these days it's a bit cheesy)... But I always like to make it extra special. 
    Ditto on the "dating anniversary" thing on Valentines Day. 

We're going out to a nice dinner, moreso because we're getting married 3 weeks after and I wanted us to take time off from planning and relax. Also, we're not spending any extra money we don't have to right now, so this will be a bit of a treat.

I don't really understand how this Valentine's day will be any different than the ones to come. Yea, it's the one before we get married, but it doesn't make the feelings of the day any less different. 

imageimage

• I think it's cute that Valentine's Day is such a special day for the two of you.  I think the day will be even more special as a married couple.

I think the watch may be too much of an assumption.  The third idea is interesting. 

What are your plans for Valentine's?  Are you staying in or going out?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards