Honeymoon Discussions
Options

HM in Florence/Tuscany

FI and I are looking at 8-9 days in Florence/Tuscany for our HM in early May. We've got the flights all figured out but none of the other stuff yet. Do you ladies have any suggestions on where to stay, eat, visit, day trips or tours, etc.? Any recommendations would be awesome!

(Paging @ClimbingBrideNY - if I remember correctly, you went to Florence, right?)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HM in Florence/Tuscany

• Options
    Yes! We stayed in Florence for 10 days. We rented an apartment on Airbnb just outside of the center of the city. 

Using public transportation was really easy. We took the bus into town, and then took the train to Venice for an overnight. Because we had a parking spot with our rental, we rented a car too. With the car, we drove to Lucca, Pisa, and Cinque Terre. I recommend checking out all of them. 

Grab yourself a Fodor's book. It was extremely helpful! 

Florence is super easy to get around. There are so many places to eat, it's so hard to remember them all! Do the usual touristy stuff - The David, Ponte Vecchio, Boboli Gardens. the Duomo. 

Be careful of the leather being sold in Florence. A lot of stores will claim it's made in Italy and it's actually made in China. You usually can tell my looking closely at the construction. I actually bought leather in the Florence airport. 
  • Options
    Oh! We also didn't book anything until we were there, and I'm so happy we did it that way. That way, we weren't locked into a schedule. I booked the tickets for The David online once we arrived. 
  • Options

Florence itself was actually my least favorite city that i visited in Italy...i mean it has several good museums and great shopping (do be careful of the leather quality as stated above), but it was so touristy that the food was not as good as anywhere else we went, including Rome (which is pretty darn touristy).

My favorite thing we did outside of Florence was spend a couple of nights in Siena...it was really beautiful and the food there was awesome.  It's more of a relaxing vibe rather than a GOGOGO vibe too, which was nice.

And if food is a priority, i'd also suggest a day trip to Bologna (i believe that would be a fairly straightforward train trip from Florence).  Not a TON to see there, but the food was just amazing.

• Options
    We did a tasting and had lunch at this winery. The food was fantastic. We also bought two cases of wine to have shipped home. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards