Chit Chat
Options

Holiday traditions

what holiday traditions are in your family? or what holidays traditions would you like to have? 

My family is big on holiday parties, we have usually 2 invited for the 24th, 2 on the 25th  +1 from FI's family, on the 27th every other year (my mom and uncle's birthday), 3 on the 31st, and 1 on the 6th (Three Kings Day, spanish/latin tradition) and Fi's family also does the 6th. 

We were talking to some friends and family, and in the future when we buy a house and such I would totally love to have something done in our home, I like the idea of Christmas or New Years brunch and have a party on the opposite (24th or 31st) 

HBU? 

Re: Holiday traditions

• Options
    I've already gone in to our Christmas traditions on a previous post but Christmas Eve we have a traditional Bavarian dinner - schnitzel with either fresh squeezed lemon juice or mushroom sauce for yaegerschnitzel, red cabbage, fried potatoes or German potato salad, cucumber dill salad, and spatzle. 

On Christmas Day we open presents (my parents still like to do Santa presents even though we're all adults, I love it!) and have an early dinner of either ham or standing rib roast. Sometimes on Christmas Day we'll go see a movie but usually we just stay home and hang out and spend time with each other.

On New Years Eve we don't have specific traditions. Some years we go to a party or host our own but we always stay up til midnight to toast in the New Year. On New Years Day we always have ham, collard greens, black eyed peas, macaroni and cheese, and brussel sprouts. Some of my parent's neighbors will have open houses that day so we'll usually just walk around the neighborhood socializing with everyone.

• Options
    My parents would always take my brother and I on vacation somewhere over Christmas (we're Jewish so we don't need to be around for it.)  Since my brother moved to LA 12 years ago, it's been even nicer to get all of us together since it doesn't happen often and now my Sis in law and my FI are included as well!  I just got back from a trip to Laguna with everyone on Sunday.

• Options
    My family has always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. When I met FI, his family does the same. So we usually go to both families. Since we moved in together last year, we started our own little tradition. We go to both families on Christmas Eve. We make it home a little after midnight, and we exchange our gifts then. On Christmas Day, we go to FMILs for dinner. We used to do family in NYE, but now we do our own thing, or do something with friends. His cousins sometimes throw house parties, we went to a couple, but since they live a bit far from us, we have to stay over which is a pain. This year we are going to an early dinner with my BFF and her boyfriend, then hanging out for a bit, and will probably watch the rest of the NYE stuff at home.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    stefuhkneestefuhknee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

Christmas eve is spent with my SO's family. They usually have a gathering at his moms' or sisters' home, where we eat, drink and open presents. Christmas morning we exchange gifts with each other and then my grandmother and aunt cook a huge dinner that usually consists of Pernil, Rice with gondules, pasteles and we drink coquito.

NYE we usually go to someone's house party which includes lots of family, drinks and food. This year we decided to host the NYE party. I am making coquito and sangria tonight.

Basically our traditions consist of family, food and booze.

Edited: Spelling

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @stefuhknee are you puerto rican or from a PR family? haha thats what christmas is like here. Pernil and pasteles are the best!!!

• Options
    Christmas eve is where it's at and nobody cares about Christmas day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    JaniV123 said:
    @stefuhknee are you puerto rican or from a PR family? haha thats what christmas is like here. Pernil and pasteles are the best!!!
    Yes ma'am! My mother is Puerto Rican. I love pasteles but I am tired of pernil already lol.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Pernil is easy to get tired of, I like lechon better since it doest dry out and its fresher. Exciting haha I havent seen that many Puerto Rican's around here :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards