Wedding Reception Forum

more than just a slide show

(you can also see my review on Remember Me Keepsakes for my real review, this is more of an opinion/reference seeking mission) I'm tossing around the idea of having more than just a slide show at my wedding. I've been through all the boards and see there are more than a few opinions on whether to run a slide show during my wedding reception. Although not officially engaged I have a good feeling it will be soon since all of a sudden ring shopping has ramped up and me and my FH are talking more about our wants and wishes for our wedding day. I've sat through more than my fair share of painful slide shows that someone throws together (no offense to anyone here but setting  your laptop up to run through pictures that just sit flat on the big screen with no music, or any kind of zooming or motion at all can practically kill the entire experience) but recently was floored by a woman that a friend of mine hired. This thing rocked. The photos moved, it was broken up into 3 pieces where it was shown as a love story of sorts. First it announced the girl and showed a clip of the bride telling a story of how they first met, followed by pictures of her (tasteful amount) then the same for the boy, then the words "All roads led us here" and there were pictures of them as a couple. At the end of the photos there was another video clip of the two of them together thanking each and every guest for coming to share in their day and instructing everyone to have a good time. It blew me away. I was impressed that it didn't feel like the pictures were just sitting there flat on the screen for 30 seconds, they actually moved so you felt like you were watching a movie, and it told a story. Best part it gave the bridal party a chance to eat. I saw people at tables pointing at laughing when certain pictures came up on the screen and everyone seemed involved. The woman that did the slideshow was named Kristin, and her company is Remember Me Keepsakes out of Easton, MA. I called her last week to ask for more details and where I could see more samples and she told me that a long time ago she was the "business manager" for a wedding videography service named Video Creations by Alan. Anyone ever hear of her/them? What are your thoughts. I've been to a LOT of weddings and can't stand being bottlenecked at the bar while a small group of people crowd around a screen keeping the line from moving and irritating the bar staff and also think that simply placing a TV out in the cocktail lounge is tacky, taking people I want to be dancing out of the room to watch. This is our day, the slideshow lasts a few minutes, 10 tops and gives us the chance to sit a few minutes before doing the sweep of the tables. Is it really such a bad idea to ask our guests to celebrate us and what got us to our wedding day? And go..all feedback appreciated.

Re: more than just a slide show

• Yes. It comes off as AWish.

You're entitled to their undivided attention during the ceremony, toasts, speeches, and cake-cutting. You can also have a few spotlight dances. But more than that and your guests are going to feel like a captive audience.

If you put your slide show on a loop and play it in the background, nobody should mind that, but they will if you turn out the lights and expect everyone to give it their undivided attention.
  • I hate slideshows of any type at weddings.  I think they are boring. I really don't care about looking at pictures of the bride and groom through their lives.   They are either close enough friends that i have seen the pictures and know their story...or I just don't care.   If its just playing in the background, fine but I dont want to be forced to sit though it.   
  • I don't like slide shows,unless they are silent and played on a loop so that I can look as little or as much as I want. If you must do a slide show, do it before the ceremony. Let's say your ceremony starts at 2 and your slide show is 10 minutes long. Start playing it at 1:50. And then your ceremony starts promply at 2.
  • (you can also see my review on Remember Me Keepsakes for my real review, this is more of an opinion/reference seeking mission) I'm tossing around the idea of having more than just a slide show at my wedding. I've been through all the boards and see there are more than a few opinions on whether to run a slide show during my wedding reception. Although not officially engaged I have a good feeling it will be soon since all of a sudden ring shopping has ramped up and me and my FH are talking more about our wants and wishes for our wedding day. I've sat through more than my fair share of painful slide shows that someone throws together (no offense to anyone here but setting  your laptop up to run through pictures that just sit flat on the big screen with no music, or any kind of zooming or motion at all can practically kill the entire experience) but recently was floored by a woman that a friend of mine hired. This thing rocked. The photos moved, it was broken up into 3 pieces where it was shown as a love story of sorts. First it announced the girl and showed a clip of the bride telling a story of how they first met, followed by pictures of her (tasteful amount) then the same for the boy, then the words "All roads led us here" and there were pictures of them as a couple. At the end of the photos there was another video clip of the two of them together thanking each and every guest for coming to share in their day and instructing everyone to have a good time. It blew me away. I was impressed that it didn't feel like the pictures were just sitting there flat on the screen for 30 seconds, they actually moved so you felt like you were watching a movie, and it told a story. Best part it gave the bridal party a chance to eat. I saw people at tables pointing at laughing when certain pictures came up on the screen and everyone seemed involved. The woman that did the slideshow was named Kristin, and her company is Remember Me Keepsakes out of Easton, MA. I called her last week to ask for more details and where I could see more samples and she told me that a long time ago she was the "business manager" for a wedding videography service named Video Creations by Alan. Anyone ever hear of her/them? What are your thoughts. I've been to a LOT of weddings and can't stand being bottlenecked at the bar while a small group of people crowd around a screen keeping the line from moving and irritating the bar staff and also think that simply placing a TV out in the cocktail lounge is tacky, taking people I want to be dancing out of the room to watch. This is our day, the slideshow lasts a few minutes, 10 tops and gives us the chance to sit a few minutes before doing the sweep of the tables. Is it really such a bad idea to ask our guests to celebrate us and what got us to our wedding day? And go..all feedback appreciated.
    This is my feeling on this...

But seriously, stop putting the cart in front of the horse.  You aren't even engaged so this is something you shouldn't even be thinking about right now.  And let me tell you my H and I talked about getting married and our future for years before he even proposed.  I think we first started looking at rings about 4 years before the proposal even took place.  So slow your roll.

And your reception is a thank you to your guests, not a way to shove pictures and stories of yourselves into your unsuspecting  guests face.  I don't care how amazing this slide show is put together, they are boring as hell and most likely everyone you are inviting already knows who you and your SO are and how you met.  They certainly don't need a movie to remind them.

This kind of thing is just like long ass speeches full of inside jokes.  Only a handful of people may like/get it.

• (you can also see my review on Remember Me Keepsakes for my real review, this is more of an opinion/reference seeking mission) I'm tossing around the idea of having more than just a slide show at my wedding. I've been through all the boards and see there are more than a few opinions on whether to run a slide show during my wedding reception. Although not officially engaged I have a good feeling it will be soon since all of a sudden ring shopping has ramped up and me and my FH are talking more about our wants and wishes for our wedding day. I've sat through more than my fair share of painful slide shows that someone throws together (no offense to anyone here but setting  your laptop up to run through pictures that just sit flat on the big screen with no music, or any kind of zooming or motion at all can practically kill the entire experience) but recently was floored by a woman that a friend of mine hired. This thing rocked. The photos moved, it was broken up into 3 pieces where it was shown as a love story of sorts. First it announced the girl and showed a clip of the bride telling a story of how they first met, followed by pictures of her (tasteful amount) then the same for the boy, then the words "All roads led us here" and there were pictures of them as a couple. At the end of the photos there was another video clip of the two of them together thanking each and every guest for coming to share in their day and instructing everyone to have a good time. It blew me away. I was impressed that it didn't feel like the pictures were just sitting there flat on the screen for 30 seconds, they actually moved so you felt like you were watching a movie, and it told a story. Best part it gave the bridal party a chance to eat. I saw people at tables pointing at laughing when certain pictures came up on the screen and everyone seemed involved. The woman that did the slideshow was named Kristin, and her company is Remember Me Keepsakes out of Easton, MA. I called her last week to ask for more details and where I could see more samples and she told me that a long time ago she was the "business manager" for a wedding videography service named Video Creations by Alan. Anyone ever hear of her/them? What are your thoughts. I've been to a LOT of weddings and can't stand being bottlenecked at the bar while a small group of people crowd around a screen keeping the line from moving and irritating the bar staff and also think that simply placing a TV out in the cocktail lounge is tacky, taking people I want to be dancing out of the room to watch. This is our day, the slideshow lasts a few minutes, 10 tops and gives us the chance to sit a few minutes before doing the sweep of the tables. Is it really such a bad idea to ask our guests to celebrate us and what got us to our wedding day? And go..all feedback appreciated.
    After reading the title of the post and the bit about not being engaged yet, I was already shaking my head no.

To the bolded - Yes, it kind of is bad to want to indulge yourselves like that at the (not even planned yet) reception -- that's what a ceremony is for. The purpose of a reception is to thank guests, so the self-gushing should be kept to a minimum at the reception. The intros, spotlight dances, cake cutting, tosses, etc. are PLENTY at any wedding. 

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• This slide show doesn't sound like "more than just a slide show." It sounds exactly like every other slide show I've ever been subjected to. 
    Because why? It's not enough to have everyone invited to celebrate your marriage, or stand in front of everyone in a beautiful dress, or be the hostess of a beautiful party? It isn't enough to be the center of attention for the day.  NO! WE NEED MORE ATTENTION! We also need people to look at pictures of us for 10 minutes that feels like 30. 
    If your guests need to look at you, they turn their heads and there you are. 
    It's super attention-whorey. And who cares if you "want people to be on the dance floor?" If they're your guests, you want them to be wherever they're most comfortable. If you insist on playing a "look at me" show, a screen in the lounge room is the best possible place. That way, your guests can look at it if they choose, and not have it crammed down their throats if they'd rather be socializing. How is that "tacky," but forcing a captive audience to stare at your pictures isn't? 

Blech.
  • I went to their YouTube page, and the stuff really isn't that amazing. Anyone can do something like this with a simple Windows or Mac program. The pictures are just zooming in or sliding left and right, and the fonts are super cheesy. 

Not to mention, the music was awful (who uses U2's "Without or Without You" as a wedding song?!?)

Please don't do this.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I went to their YouTube page, and the stuff really isn't that amazing. Anyone can do something like this with a simple Windows or Mac program. The pictures are just zooming in or sliding left and right, and the fonts are super cheesy. 

Not to mention, the music was awful (who uses U2's "Without or Without You" as a wedding song?!?)

Please don't do this.

So, this comment had me intrigued, because when OP said they were moving, I was picturing that they somehow animated the actual photos or did some sort of nifty time-lapse flip-book magic on them.  OP, I'm going to assume you don't have any amateur videographer friends or even friends who are even a little computer savvy who like playing around with pictures, because what I saw on that youtube link is some pretty basic stuff that is standard for memorial slideshow packages around these parts.  In fact, I have a friend who does something very similar for a hobby and has put together several CD's of our family photos in a similar package (although his were better - and we did have them play on a loop out of the way for people to watch at their leisure during a recent surprise birthday party).  I'm sorry that your other slide show experiences have been even more boring than the youtube link, but those videos weren't really anything special - definitely not hold me hostage and force me to watch special.  Have one made if it will really make you happy, but don't hold people captive forcing them to watch.

• Skip the slideshow.  No matter how you try to dress it up, it's still AWish and boring.
  • I too checked out the YouTube page... the one wedding video I clicked through had 3.5 minutes of JUST the groom from birth to adulthood, and another 3.5 minutes of JUST the bride...

This is definitely just a slideshow with some "special" effects.  Zooming/motion don't make it any less of a slideshow.

Also, as a wedding guest I don't need to be instructed to have a good time.  

If you like it, go for it, but I wouldn't make it a mandatory "event" that people have to stop and watch.
  • mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Than watch a slideshow about how you two came to be. You'd better have an open bar with lots o' bartenders because it's gonna be PACKED when that slideshow starts.

And you're not even engaged. Knock it off. 

• Slideshows are the worst part about weddings, rehearsal dinners, etc. Ugh. No. It's super AWish.

If you don't care about watching them for other people (and describe them as "painful"), why would you think anyone would care about watching yours? Not in a mean way, but logically, this doesn't make sense. Unless you think you're super cool, amazing and way better than everyone else. Then ok....
    *********************************************************************************

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Southernbelle0915, since we all know you're super cool, amazing, and way better than everyone else, we have to insist on seeing your slide show!

Then again, I AM super cool, amazing, and way better than everyone else. It's a fact.

;-D

Okay, seriously, don't do a slide show.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Southernbelle0915, since we all know you're super cool, amazing, and way better than everyone else, we have to insist on seeing your slide show! Then again, I AM super cool, amazing, and way better than everyone else. It's a fact. ;-D Okay, seriously, don't do a slide show.
    Right?!? :) I made all my guests watch a 20 minute (ok, ok... 45 minute) slide show about ME. Since I know they all love and care about me SOOOOO much, it was fine and of course they LOVED it!! 
    *********************************************************************************

• The only slideshow I have enjoyed at a wedding are ones that are just silently running through on the side. I can watch when I want and look away when I want. Please don't stop the wedding fun to force everyone to watch a slideshow of you and your fiancé. 
  • I actually like slideshows. But you don't have to hire someone to do it. Just do it yourself in powerpoint. You're not engaged, so just slow your roll.

• Generally I don't mind a slide show if it's just in the background. 

Here's a point not raised above. Pictures you like from over the years could embarrass others. That "super cute" photo of you and your MOH from high school may be awesome to you and awful to her. 
    That "pointing and laughing" you mention when pictures came up on screen? Not necessarily a good thing. 

I was a BM and knew the bride was doing a slideshow, but I didn't know she was including bridal party pics. The ones she had of me were not ones I would have chosen to show to 100 people. She didn't do that maliciously of course, but we don't always see ourselves the way others see us. 

• I always liked slideshows at weddings. Sometimes they get a little too long but I always liked watching them. I had no idea so many people thought they were painful. I think it is a cute added touch and weddings are all about the bride and groom so if you as a guest don't like that then why even go to a wedding?
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    jrich29 said:
    I always liked slideshows at weddings. Sometimes they get a little too long but I always liked watching them. I had no idea so many people thought they were painful. I think it is a cute added touch and weddings are all about the bride and groom so if you as a guest don't like that then why even go to a wedding?
    Because it's not "all about the bride and groom". The reception is a thank-you to your guests for attending your wedding.

Also, I go to a wedding to see people get married, and then I go to the reception to congratulate them and socialize. That's why I go to them. If they show a slideshow, it's not like it ruins my evening or makes me wonder why I even bothered; it's just boring, that's all. Plus, it's sort of attention-whore-ish. Pretty much everything focuses on the bride and groom; do we really need another thing shoved in our face?
  • edited January 2015
    jrich29 said:
    I always liked slideshows at weddings. Sometimes they get a little too long but I always liked watching them. I had no idea so many people thought they were painful. I think it is a cute added touch and weddings are all about the bride and groom so if you as a guest don't like that then why even go to a wedding?
    Because it's not "all about the bride and groom". The reception is a thank-you to your guests for attending your wedding.

Also, I go to a wedding to see people get married, and then I go to the reception to congratulate them and socialize. That's why I go to them. If they show a slideshow, it's not like it ruins my evening or makes me wonder why I even bothered; it's just boring, that's all. Plus, it's sort of attention-whore-ish. Pretty much everything focuses on the bride and groom; do we really need another thing shoved in our face?
    I will add to the bolded that I also go to receptions to dance!  Anything that cuts into dance time annoys the shit out of me.

So OP, are you engaged yet?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• What is the youtube link? I want to see this. Also I don't like slideshows they tend to be too long and awkward to see the groom drunk with his friends vice versa, I think if it is short and off to the side it's cool, I guess but since you are not engaged take a step back and breath, plus a lot of vendors do not take you seriously if you are not engaged yet. My FI and I started looking at wedding stuff 2 years into our relationship and now we are at 5 1/2 years. It took a while to get everything in place etc. 
  • My personal vote on slideshows is that they're a little like BMW's:  Perfectly fine on their own, but inevitably favored by the very worst kinds of people. (No offense to any perfectly decent BMW drivers out there.)
    If you want to have a slideshow, go for it.  As long as it's nice and short (under 5 minutes), I sort of enjoy slideshows.  But if you have a slideshow, recognize that you have used up all of your special snowflake points for the night.  You don't get to have a slideshow, a tiara, fourteen "special" dances, an hour of toasts, a sparkler sendoff, and a horse drawn carriage as your getaway vehicle. 
  • tara.c said:

My personal vote on slideshows is that they're a little like BMW's:  Perfectly fine on their own, but inevitably favored by the very worst kinds of people. (No offense to any perfectly decent BMW drivers out there.)
    If you want to have a slideshow, go for it.  As long as it's nice and short (under 5 minutes), I sort of enjoy slideshows.  But if you have a slideshow, recognize that you have used up all of your special snowflake points for the night.  You don't get to have a slideshow, a tiara, fourteen "special" dances, an hour of toasts, a sparkler sendoff, and a horse drawn carriage as your getaway vehicle. 

I find Audi, Prius, and Volt drivers to be far worse people than BMW drivers.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards